Golden tips

Louiangel

I think the suggestions would apply to both sexes but here goes:

Bring other family members if possible. I have found that extra hands really help. That doesn't mean they are built in baby sitters but they are often happy to watch the child while you go in the ocean, pool and hot tubs together.

The best lines for babies are Royal Caribbean (Royal Tots),Cunard (Nursery) and Disney (Nursery), which offer babysitting for children 12 months or older. Celebrity does not have a nursery but provides in- cabin babysitting upon request.

The Freedom Class ships on Royal offer a splash area for kids in diapers and Disney has a baby pool. None of the other lines have splash area for diapered babies. No cruise lines allow diapers of any kind in the pool.

If the budget permits, get a balcony cabin. This gives the adults a space to go to at night when little ones are sleeping. It is also a good way to air out the cabin a bit. With three or four people to a cabin it can get pretty ripe!

Go to the MDR with the kids. Most people are hesitant to do this because the child might fuss. The early seating is best best because most kids won't make it to an 8:00 dinner. Select the early 6:00 seating. You will have the same wait staff each night who will bend over backwards for the little ones.

Take along a laptop, which will double as a DVD player. Most ships have DVD's that you can borrow but bring your child's favorites. My son loved the Baby Einstein series and Sesame Street/Elmo. This will keep them entertained and remind them of home. Download some sleep music too- although sleeping on a ship is pretty easy. The rocking motion does the trick.

Bring children's and adult "Bonine". Parents are more apt to get seasick than kids but these tabs melt in your mouth and can be taken after you start feeling queasy. They work.

Set reasonable expectations. If you are looking for romance and relaxation- leave the babies at home. If you want to bond with the child and cater to their needs- bring them along.

- Bring an umbrella stroller. Most toddlers don't mind being in one and secure them too it before leaving the cabin. This way they aren't running through the halls and pushing the buttons on the elevator.

You will spend most of the time exploring the ship with little ones. Just like at home, you have to keep your eye on them all the time and a cruise ship is a giant playground for them. There are lounges that lead to hallways and stairs- with no doors to stop them! Be prepared to do a lot of following behind them.

The best age to travel with kids is when they are three and potty trained. Then they can use the pool and you aren't contending with dirty diapers in the room. Also at this age, they are able to stay up later, sit through shows in the theater and are over over the tantrum stage. At this age you don't need a crib, bottles and all the things that babies need. All mainstream cruise lines offer programs for children potty trained three and up. Carnival does offer daycare for children as young as two but parents have to change their diapers. NCL has a program called Guppies for children 6months- under 3 years but parents must stay with the child.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I am surprised that more people haven't jumped on this post. There are so many parents here with advice to impart. I think you should rename your thread.

"Help! I need advice for traveling with a baby" and scroll through the other threads because you will get lots of info. reading the accounts of traveling parents.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I am surprised that more people haven't jumped on this post. There are so many parents here with advice to impart. I think you should rename your thread.

"Help! I need advice for traveling with a baby" and scroll through the other threads because you will get lots of info. reading the accounts of traveling parents.

I agree with reccalouiseagain on everything. Read the threads here. You will find info on what documents to take, baby food, disposing of diapers to strollers.