Booked today... Couple of questions

Doerthoch

A couple of prior posters mentioned US Direct - it's the real saving grace of a same day arrival (assuming the program returns for the 2014 season - check the YVR Blog around April/May and of course ask Celebrity to be sure they intend to participate again).

Flying from NYC, same day, for a Celebrity Alaskan cruise means you will meet the requirements as long as your whole party are US Citizens (and you don't choose a flight with connections in Canada...). Since it cuts out Canadian immigration and Customs at YVR AND then skips US immigration at the pier (basically you're treated as never leaving the USA) you could potentially save over an hour of queuing time.

One word of caution, IF you are on a one way northbound cruise.

If you do miss embarkation, it's highly unlikely that you will be permitted to "catch up" to the ship at its next port, as this would violate the PVSA. Furthermore, it's highly unlikely that travel insurance would reimburse you for missing the cruise, because the reason for doing so would be due to the presence of a law, the PVSA. Keep this in mind when planning your flights.

This is exactly the reason I wouldn't recommend trying to fly in the day of your cruise. You don't get on board in Vancouver, you'll miss out on the whole cruise because the rest of the ports of all in the U.S. and you won't be allowed to embark at any of them because of the PVSA.

I've seen many posts from people who thought the ship would wait for them in Vancouver, but the tidal patterns there seem to be very sensitive. And some of these people had booked their cruise air through the cruise line.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk any of my cruise on a gamble like this. Especially if that means missing the entire cruise. Can you leave a little early from work the day before (I've done that when I've been tight on vacation days) so you can get to the Northwest the night before? You'll be relaxed when you get on board.

you clear customs after you get your bags, and considering all you do is hand them a card, it's never taken me more than 60 seconds.

Immigration is cleared before you get to the luggage carousels and can take 0-30 minutes (you never really know), but normally by the time you've cleared immigration, your bags are already waiting

All that being said, if there's any delays in your schedule, you're in trouble. Always best to fly in the day before.

I find in Vancouver it can be variable.

Canadian nationals get routed into automated machines that scan the passport and declaration card so it makes it quick.

If you arrive at a time that has a large number of overseas flights arriving it takes a bit of time, otherwise you sail through. During the late morning until just after noon there are a large number of flights coming in from Asia. There is also another bank of flights late at night.

The Cathey Pacific flight is a flight that routes JFK - Vancouver - Hong Kong with Cathey having the rights to sell JFK - Vancouver on its own. So you get the same level of service you would have on an overseas flight. It is also on either a 747 or 777.

Edited by em-sk