best excurions or what not to miss...

lissa42886

ok so we will be stopping in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, & Belize. end of may.. Carnival Glory

what are your favorite things to do.. on the not so expensive side?? we really cant do excursions that cost 100$ PP each port.. there is 9 of us total all adults and adventurous.

thanks! 124 days to go

In Costa Maya my favorite is just to take a cab into Mahajual and have a beach day. Very pretty beaches and only a short inexpensive ride. Lots of little bar/restaurants there. In Cozumel you can also just go into town and walk around and shop and have lunch in one of the restaurants there. Panchos Backyard is my favorite. I would save my excursion budget for the other two ports.

thanks.. i also need to point out my cousin who is in charge of the trip is very skeptical and hesitant to do any NON ship sponsored excursions.. purely in fear of missing the ship.. im doing my best to steer him other wise. i personally think i have only actually taking a few ship tours..

We rent a jeep in Cozumel, most recently in December. It was brand new 2014 wrangler from Alamo. Total cost with full coverage $110. In costa Maya we take the bus to the beach and get a 1 hour massage on the beach for $20. We also look for a place that offers free wifi so we can communicate with family/friends back home.

In Belize we have done both "super cheap" and super amazing excursions. For our daughters 16th birthday we booked an outside excursion through a place called "Jaguar Paw" resort. They picked us up near the port, transported us to the resort and we did zip lining and cave tubing with included lunch for $79 each. I did have to pay 1/2 up front, but if the ship didn't dock, it was refundable. It was an amazing day! One of our best excursions ever! On our last trip to Belize, last April we opted to stay right at the port. (Our kids were at home...) we found a bar with free wifi, had a snack and drinks then went to the chocolate factory and made chocolate bars for souvenirs. I think we spent less than $40 total.

In Belize we have done both "super cheap" and super amazing excursions. For our daughters 16th birthday we booked an outside excursion through a place called "Jaguar Paw" resort. They picked us up near the port, transported us to the resort and we did zip lining and cave tubing with included lunch for $79 each. I did have to pay 1/2 up front, but if the ship didn't dock, it was refundable. It was an amazing day! One of our best excursions ever!

How far did you have to travel to Jaguar Paw? We travel with someone who deals with motion sickness and traveling too far in a car, especially if there are a lot of hills and curves, would not make for a fun day for us!

How far did you have to travel to Jaguar Paw? We travel with someone who deals with motion sickness and traveling too far in a car, especially if there are a lot of hills and curves, would not make for a fun day for us!

It was about an hour. However, it wasn't hilly or curvy.

Also... Forgive me, my ports of call are running together... Mahogany Bay is Honduras... Silly me, we traveled there last year, but due to weather we docked at Roatan... We did have a wonderful day there too! We shared a rented driver with another couple who was onboard our ship. He took us all over the island and we even visited a little zoo where we got up close and personal with monkeys! It was one of my favorite days so far!

Talum in Cozumel is great but quite a ride away. Belize cave tubing is big everyone seems to like ?? Captain Tom but our experience with him wasn't good. I would recommend looking for the companies that do not use the old black inner tubes they don't seem to get you high enough out of the water if water is shallow. Roatan you can get a taxi and go around the island well, iguana farm is interesting and beaches beautiful. there is also someone that will pre-arrange cab for you which worked well for us on Roatan, been there twice, love it!! Although it is a poor area._ Went to ruins in Costa Maya and a Mayan village tour on a private tour which was wonderful , with Native Choice and that was so good. Mayan women helped us make tortillas over coals and feed us a wonderful homemade lunch. Apparently, per guide, all is well regulated and the womens home was very tidy.

I can say the best we had were:

Belize - do Goffs Caye it is a gorgeous island less than half an acre and surrounded by gorgeous blue clear water. $10 buys you a grilled lobster lunch with two lobster tails and rum punch is included tried to upload pics but my files are too big. It is a 30 minute boat ride out in the ocean google it and just looks at the pics.

When at Roatan go to a taxi booth at the dock and it was $20 a person for us to go to West Bay Beach and you will see some of the clearest water you will ever see in person. Great bars and restaurants are all in walking distance up and down the beach.