First time Cruiser, Disney Dream

Swiftygirl

Hi

I am new to this site and would really appreciate any advice offered.

we are looking at booking 4 day Bahamian Cruise in October. We have 3 kids, 10, 12 and 14.

I have a few questions and would love to hear answers from experienced Disney cruisers.I have read the DCL website to try to find out as much as possible but dont seem to be able to find much info on what happens on board.

our eldest kids are boys, is the much for them to do or are Disney cruises geared more towards younger kids?

What drinks are included in the cruise? and are they only at meal times?

Can you get snacks throughout the day or only at set times?

do you get drinks in the staterooms (such as water or juices) ?

Do alcoholic drinks cost a lot? can you take your own wine/ spirits with you?

Am looking at maybe booking the stateroom with concierge, its about $700 more, but is it worth it?

sorry so many questions, just desperate to find out as much info as possible.

thanks

Just off the dream.

There is a beverage station open mid ship pool deck 24 hours a day. There is soft drinks (sodas), water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

Yes bring you own wine, alcohol, whatever, you must have it in your carry on. Regardless what others have said, we were able to fill our wine glasses in our room and carry it to dinner. You can bring your bottle to dinner however, they will charge you a corking fee.

two adults with 3 teenagers is a lot in a room and to share one bathroom. Just make sure you have enough beds for everyone.

There were a lot of young children on our cruise, but we did see teenagers also, but the younger princes and princesses definitely were in the higher numbers. I'd imagine the teenagers would just keep standing in line for the aquaduck (That is what we saw the teens doing). But they have clubs for all ages.

Yes, drinks are very expensive. We spent $14 for one glass each of champagne in the champagne bar.

We stayed inside cabin to experience the magic porthole so I cannot comment on the concierge. I can tell you those in the concierge, had a private balcony section where I saw one party going on, with many characters at the party allowing private photos ops with the children able to sit on their laps. I don't know if its worth $700, but it would certainly save you a gazillion hours standing in line for just one quick photo. Then again, your children are older, not so sure they care about a photo with Mickey or Minnie.

The previous poster answered most of your questions so I will just elaborate on what activities there are for your kids. Oh, and tell you that, yes, snacks are available throughout the day.

It has been a while since I was on the Dream, but as I recall, there is a sports deck with basketball, volleyball, mini golf, jogging track, exercise area and I think they do gave simulator sports, but you need to reserve times for the simulator before the cruise. There are also several childrens' areas. There's a tween club for your 11 yr old, Edge, and a teen club, Vibe, for your 14 yr old. The 10 yr old could go to the oceaneers club (so could your 11 yr old). In the tween/teen clubs there are computers, video games, ping pong, TVs, organized activities, a lounge, and I think Edge had a green screen if I remember correctly.

You will basically not see your older kids!

our eldest kids are boys, is the much for them to do or are Disney cruises geared more towards younger kids?-of course, There are 3 different kids clubs depends on the children's ages. They look so much fun. I know the older ones have playstations, I-pods (they are they little pod things you are able to get into and listen to your ipods or watch movies that you have on your ipods) and more.

What drinks are included in the cruise? and are they only at meal times? - You can get Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, lemonade, tea, coffee and hot cocoa at meals and at the soda station by the pool. The first 2 cruises I brought a large cup that I would fill up and take back to the room. This cruise I'm going to bring a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper on my 3 night. It is a lot easier to just grab it from the "fridge" then to go all the way up stairs but remember to bring a travel cup so you can fill them up when at the pool as well as you can run up before going to a show or the movies.

Can you get snacks throughout the day or only at set times? - There is NEVER a lack of food onboard. There are snack areas next to the pool that serves, grilled items, pizza and even ice cream. You also have 24 hr room service. There is also this great little pastry place in the 2nd floor of the lobby that is a coffee shop but the pastries are free as well as if the kids are in the club and you are in the adult area, Cove Café offers the pastries as well. Another things we are going to do this time that we haven't in the past... We are going to get some movie snacks (they are normally 3 for $3 at Walgreens) and take with us to throw in my bag for going to see a show or movie. Also if you are getting off in Nassau you might consider bringing onboard some fruit snacks to take with you if you don't want to dine on the island. This way the kids will have something to snack on. And make sure to bring along a couple bottles of water for the same reason.

do you get drinks in the staterooms (such as water or juices) ? You can get things from room service such as juice, coffee and hot cocoa but unless you go up to the pool deck and get your own soda room service will charge you for that.

Do alcoholic drinks cost a lot? can you take your own wine/ spirits with you? - You can bring your own alcohol onboard. The first cruise I went on I took from wine coolers and didn't drink any of them. I just ended up drinking the drink of the days that were reasonable. Also another fun thing to do is the mixology class. It is only 15.00 and you get to try a number of different drinks. My drink of the day would run about 5.75 and I don't believe I had a drink over 9.50. You do get charged more if the drink is in the DCL plastic cups your keep

Am looking at maybe booking the stateroom with concierge, its about $700 more, but is it worth it? You get some extras but that is about it. You are on a higher deck where it is more convenient, you get 100 mins of free internet, you get to embark at anytime after 11:30 or when they "open" for boarding. You also get the lounge that has soda and alcoholic beverages at pleasure. I don't know if it would be worth it for me. But if there are also rooms available when you arrive at the port you can always upgrade there too. It is cheaper. I had a friend go from an inside to a cruise for $500.00.

There was just a very recent article on Frommers.com, complete with price comparisons, to show that DCL has one of the lowest drink prices at sea. That being said, just as you would at a restaurant or bar watch what you're ordering and avoid anything in the cool souvenir cup unless you really need that cup at home.. We do bring a bit on board with us to supplement but not too much. I'm on vacation and don't want to be toting around a bunch of beverages. If you order soda, juice etc. at a show, bar or club, you'll be charged.

In my opinion the concierge suite is worth every penny of the $700. You get any help you may need for booking or really anything from the time you board till you leave. Not to mention free drinks nightly for the adults and a large choice of treats for the kids.