I'm back!

SweetEmi

Just a quick note that I'm back from the mad lands - ooops, I mean mainland. :)

Not richer but much more exhausted...lol!! Had a great time but I'm glad to be back home.

There are too many threads for me to look through to see if any of my help is needed....hehehehehe

Emi

Hehehehehe, Dan! Wish we could have hooked up. Hope the wife is feeling better. I ended up doing a lot more Elks things than I thought, so my relaxing vacation wasn't much of one. Also, every leg on the way there was delayed - so it took like 24 hours or something to get from Kona to Reno!! Can you believe it??

I cried at some of the convention deals and after the 2 kids they gave the scholarships to spoke, I decided to become an Elk after all...I'm hoping to have a little more time in a bit to do things like that besides just work all week.

Emi

Emi,

I think the opening of the Elk's membership to women was actually a combination of events, but law suits and the threat of law suits played a big part. Personally I think we're better off now, have to say that since my wife is a member. I've posted quite a few times in the Hawaii thread that one of the nice parts of being a member of BPOE is the opportunity to visit other Elk's Lodges such as Kona Elks, Honolulu Elks, Hilo Elks, all great places to visit when you're in Hawaii.

Dan: I was hearing a bit about different law suits during my time with some Elks in Reno. Also about men joining the traditionally women's organizations associated with the Elks...it goes both ways :)

I know, Suebee, my auntie said it really freaked out the cat. Sorry I missed you too - next time around, hopefully! Did you have fun??

Yes loads...I find Kailua Kona to be a little HOT for my taste! Whew! Maybe it was because we were at VNP for 4 days. I'll be posting what I did soon. Another CC member asked what I did in relation to the "revealed guide" so I thought I would do my review of the book.

Next time for sure.

:)

We missed the Mac Pie of all things by the way! We were either stuffed from dinner or passed the factory without thinking about it.

:(

Oh no!! Don't they sell them at your Costco?? I know they do at the one in Kona. I think it is much too hot in town too - I could never live there. I've always lived up in elevation.

I'm buying a house in Ocean View at 2800 feet - it even has a fireplace!!! I love it - I miss the smell of a fireplace. We do get cool here and sometimes downright cold but I have a feeling it will be cooler in OV. I bought some alpaca (sp?) slippers while in Lake Tahoe to keep my feetsies warm....lol!!

Emi

Hi Ladies!

I hope you don't mind me butting in--I was looking for Emi and now I found you! I am taking an unexpected cruise on the PoAmerica in January. YIKES- only 6 months to plan........:rolleyes:

I 've never been to Hawaii and know nothing- how do I start? We are staying at the Marriott Waikik Beach for 2 days pre-cruise. I'll have my parents with me (ages 70 & 75) so I ned to find activities that they can do. I'm sure they'll want to go to the Arizona Memorial,etc. Should I get a rental car? Should I just rent a car on every island?

What will the weather be like in mid-January--it will be zero or below here in Green Bay!Look out- the questions have just begun:D

If money is no object, tours are the easiest thing to do. But they are expensive and you can do them on your own for 1/3 the cost. The Arizona is no where near Waikiki and you couldnt walk it...or cab it for less than $50. You can take a day trip or rent a car.

I feel renting cars is the way to go because if you dont like a stop, you can leave. If you see a shop on the side of the road, you can stop. If youre finished with a site, you dont have to wait for everyone to take a potty break or that one last picture.

Find out what they want to do first. Then you can go from there. My MIL wanted all of the historical places, museums etc....my BIL is coming in a month and wants only nature. It makes a big difference when planning.

I had heard about Mac Pie on the Food Network. Do you know if we would be able to purchase pies and bring them back on the ship. Since they are packaged I would think it would be OK. Also is the factory far from the port?

Karfest!! How exciting!! What day of the week will you be in Kona??? I think what Suebee said is pretty right on...and a very good place to start!

CLR: You can also have them ship your pies if you want - I used to work right by them when they were in Keauhou and I would watch them load up the Fed Ex truck with boxes and boxes of pies...and the wonderful smell....*sigh* Now they moved so they are pretty close to the pier in Kona. I have no idea how much a cab would cost, but it isn't but a few miles. If you are renting a car - it is between the pier and the airport where many of the car rental places are. As Spleen said, though - carrying them on board should be no problem and they package them pretty good for transport.

Emi

I had heard about Mac Pie on the Food Network. Do you know if we would be able to purchase pies and bring them back on the ship. Since they are packaged I would think it would be OK. Also is the factory far from the port?

Yes you can bring them back...and if by 'far' you mean within walking distance or not....no you cannot walk there from the pier.

You can also order them online for delivery to your door....

http://macpie.com/

Hi Emi! I haven't seen you on the NCL board lately so I was getting worried...

We'll be in Kona on Thursday, Jan 25- maybe you need to take the day off and be our guide:)

Suebee- I think we will go the rental car route- I hate getting trapped on excursions, I like to tour at my own speed and not be at the mercy of others. Is it easy to get a car at each port or do I need to reserve in advance? If we rent a car at the Honolulu airtport, is there somewere near the port I can leave it?

I'm just now researching airfare--yikes! $715 per person is the best I can find from Milwaukee-does that seem right? If I could leave today it would be $349 pp.:mad: Any suggestions? Also, hubby and I are now going to book our own hotel and we just need something cheap because we won't be there long. What does anyone know about the Royal Grove Hotel?

Be patient- I have TONS more questions:D I'll just put them out in small doses!!

My suggestion is to reserve in advance. You can book directly through the individual web sites without giving money up front. We had no problems doing that. There is no place to drop them off at the pier so you will have to take a cab from honolulu airport to the pier.

$715, depending on the time of year, is probably about right. You are coming at wintertime for the mainland so yes, airlines will maximize prices then.

You might do well with a package. Usually the price goes way down when you package it with other things. Try an expedia search to see how things stack up.

Still here Karen! Just am always very busy but I try to at least read the messages even if I can't answer them.

I might be able to swing that (taking the day off) You'll have to remind me again closer to the date though. I'm going to be moving to Ocean View to work 5 days a week and back in Kona on Sun/Mon for a weekend away from work - so I'm trying not to create much in the way of notes to have to take over there and set up. But once I'm there it will be better. *smile*

Emi

Just checked Alamo rental for Honolulu and you can pickup a car at the airport location(office is actually a mile or two east) and you can drop it off at the Ala Moana office without any extra fee. They do have a shuttle between the Ala Moana location and the pier or at least they did last November. The Ala Moana location is just on the western edge of Waikiki a few miles east of the pier.

Archived