Help for Port Of LA cruise

cruzluver2

We are a family of three, sailing out of Port of LA in April. We will be flying into John Wayne early afternoon the day before cruise. I have looked at staying in Seal Beach and San Pedro. Question is which would be best? We would like to have sOmething to do that afternoonime sght see. We will extending our trip after cruise and will be doing a tour of Hollywood. We also would like to have casual restuarants close to eat at as well. Never been to the area so all suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

We are a family of three, sailing out of Port of LA in April. We will be flying into John Wayne early afternoon the day before cruise. I have looked at staying in Seal Beach and San Pedro. Question is which would be best? We would like to have sOmething to do that afternoonime sght see. We will extending our trip after cruise and will be doing a tour of Hollywood. We also would like to have casual restuarants close to eat at as well. Never been to the area so all suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Seal Beach is a nice little town, but it's really not much of a tourist destination...and in April, you're not exactly going to get great beach weather...

But, most importantly, flying in early afternoon to SNA, you are not going to have all that much time...

Just go directly to San Pedro...there's certainly enough to see and do there for one afternoon...there are a lot of good, reasonable restaurants in the area of the Crowne Plaza...Plus, you can relax in the morning knowing you are already right near the ship...

We stayed at the Pacific Inn in Seal Beach and enjoyed our stay. Clean rooms and friendly staff. They have a free shuttle van which takes you to the port in about 15 minutes. We left our car there as part of a cruise,park,stay package. Seal beach is a nice walkable area with shopping, restaurants, and bars on a street which ends at the beach. There are also several restaurants across the street from the Inn in a mini mall. San Pedro has too much concrete for my tastes.

I have lived and worked in both of these areas. The weather is the weather in either place, you have no control over it. If you can stay at the place in Seal that has the shuttle that another poster mentioned, I would go for it. The main drag has great restaurants and shops. I vote for Walt's Wharf or the NY Pizza place(I can't remember the exact name, I just eat there). I love San Pedro and am probably one of its biggest cheerleaders, but it is not as safe as Seal.

If you do decide on the Seal Beach option, make doubly sure (call the hotel directly) and make sure the free shuttle will take you to the Port of LA in San Pedro as there's also a Port of Long Beach (basically just Carnival cruises), which looks like it's between the two places. You won't want to find out the morning of your cruise, that you'll have to get a taxi instead.

This from their web site reference shuttle and parking. San Pedro is well outside their stated limit.

Complimentary shuttle within 5 miles is available by Reservation only between the hours of 8am - 10pm. We can not guarantee shuttle services without a prior Shuttle Reservations.

Complimentary parking up to 7 days. Each additional day is $5.

This from their web site reference shuttle and parking. San Pedro is well outside their stated limit.

Complimentary shuttle within 5 miles is available by Reservation only between the hours of 8am - 10pm. We can not guarantee shuttle services without a prior Shuttle Reservations.

Complimentary parking up to 7 days. Each additional day is $5.

I just went on google maps and got the directions from the Pacific Inn to the World Cruise Center and the mileage came up as 12 to 14 miles, depending on route.

And I also looked at the website for the hotel and saw nothing about San Pedro. So that's why I recommended anyone who is planning on a free shuttle to the Port of Los Angeles, contact the hotel directly as the free shuttle may take you to the Port of Long Beach, but not further if they stick to the five mile radius.