Single mom cruising with kids

kfrisk

I am a single mom and I am planning on taking my 3 kids on a cruise next year. My sister is going to bring my nephew as well, and it could be my mom and best friend along for the ride as well. I am wondering how it would work if I want adjoining rooms for me and my kids - since there is only 1 adult in my immediate group. Is that even allowed? Otherwise we will go with a larger room without the upper pull down bunks because thinking about them makes me feel claustrophobic. Thanks for any input.

I think a lot depends on the ages of your children and which line you are sailing.

Also, it's important to make the distinction between adjoining and connecting rooms. Adjoining rooms are simply rooms that are next to each other. Connecting rooms have a shared door that connects the two rooms to each other without needing to go into the hallway. Most cruise ship cabins have an adjoining room. Only a few are connecting.

Edited by giselleacttwo

I think a lot depends on the ages of your children and which line you are sailing.

Also, it's important to make the distinction between adjoining and connecting rooms. Adjoining rooms are simply rooms that are next to each other. Connecting rooms have a shared door that connects the two rooms to each other without needing to go into the hallway. Most cruise ship cabins have an adjoining room. Only a few are connecting.

I should have specified! LOL I meant connecting rooms - and my kids will be 15, 15 & 9 years old at the time we are planning on sailing. Thank you!

I'm a single mom with 3 kids too. On Royal Caribbean, you can get adjoining rooms, connecting rooms or rooms across the hall. Disney will not allow different rooms. I'm not sure about the other cruise lines as I haven't tried it. Our favourite rooms are Royal Caribbean's family rooms. Yes, there are pull down bunks, but no one has ever complained of feeling claustrophobic. They're just like bunk beds.

I'm a single mom with 3 kids too. On Royal Caribbean, you can get adjoining rooms, connecting rooms or rooms across the hall. Disney will not allow different rooms. I'm not sure about the other cruise lines as I haven't tried it. Our favourite rooms are Royal Caribbean's family rooms. Yes, there are pull down bunks, but no one has ever complained of feeling claustrophobic. They're just like bunk beds.

Are these pull-down bunks over top of the twins underneath? Those are the ones I look at and feel claustrophobic - the ones I see that I am fond of are the twins and then the sofa with the pulldown bunk over top of the sofa bed....

Thanks for all the replies!

Are these pull-down bunks over top of the twins underneath? Those are the ones I look at and feel claustrophobic - the ones I see that I am fond of are the twins and then the sofa with the pulldown bunk over top of the sofa bed....

Thanks for all the replies!

In RCCL's family rooms, there is a separate area for the bunk beds. Different rooms have different configurations. On one ship, the bunk beds were in an area about 5 feet by 6 feet, separated by a curtain from the rest of the cabin. On another ship, the area was about 8 x 10, also separated by a curtain from the rest of the cabin.

Unlike other cruise lines, I have never seen Royal's pullmans come down over the main beds, but I've never been in an interior or regular ocean view on RCCL.