Has anyone experience of this ship

greyman2

We are taking our first cruise,the time has come to give it a try. This line,Portuscale cruises,the ship MV Funchal so my question is has any used this classic vessel on the Norway fijord cruise....well any experience in 13/14.

Thanks

No personal experience of this ship, or the cruise line, but I have sailed similar little old ladies operated by Voyages of Discovery and Cruise & Maritime. "Proper" little ships, with classic sweeping lines & tiered rear decks rather than the big ugly floating apartment blocks. .

Shades of the old American TV series "The Love Boat".

She has an interesting history - built over 50 years ago as a liner, later saw service as a presidential yacht, then converted to a full-time cruise ship operating for much of that time out of Australia.

So you might get some background from those who remember sailing her by posting on the Australian forums:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=77

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=712

Unusually, she's kept her original name throughout.

But she only started cruising under her present ownership a few months back, so up-to-date info is going to be thin on the ground.

You might even be Cruise Critic's guinea-pig ;)

The owner, a hotel magnate in Portugal, is an enthusiast who has also bought three other old classics. And like enthusiasts in all walks of life, I suspect he's let his heart rule his head cos these old ladies tend to be troublesome. But Funchal is the pride of the fleet & likely to be the most successful, despite teething problems after re-commissioning. Hopefully all the wrinkles will be ironed out by now.

Probably not the ship I'd have chosen for a first cruise, such ships are an acquired taste. Yes, a classic ship, but without all the whistles & bells - and probably even some of the simplest creature comforts - of a modern cruise ship. And reliability isn't a strength of older ships.

Flip side is that small ships are always so much more laid-back & friendly - a village rather than a city. Just a silly little example - on Discovery, a broadly similar ship, passengers are separated from the bridge by a simple little waist-high wicket gate, can chat with the bridge crew, can watch the captain & pilot bringing the ship into port - and can hear the captain cursing under his breath about the shortcomings of the pilot's boat helmsman :D

On a modern leviathan you're unlikely to see the captain except on Gala Night, and the bridge is remote from the passengers.

An ideal size ship for the fjords, and for getting into unusual little ports off the beaten track.

If you make allowances for the old girl's age & limitations (and of course you'll have nothing to compare her against) I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Be sure to come back & tell us all about it - like I say, you're probably our guinea-pig!

Be forewarned - Norway is mighty expensive, especially alcohol. :eek:

Bon Voyage

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Most appreciated. one reason for the choice is that she is sailing from Falmouth which is only around twenty miles away,plus it includes parking.

Many years ago I worked in a ship repair yard and am aware that we should prey for calm weather.........will let you know if we survive.

RL