Question regarding travel insurance and trip interruption

cruzinlisa

Forgive me, I know this sounds like a dumb question. I have bought travel insurance a couple of times and I obviously have no idea what it covered, since I never had to use it.

This trip we are flying from Kansas City to Fort Lauderdale on a Sunday (booked on our own not cruiseline) and then cruising on a Monday. Our 3 year old DD is going to be home with her grandparents. My biggest concern is that if there are issues with our flight and its delayed, cancelled etc., I would like to have insurance that will get me to the next port or refund the trip, if its not possible. My second concern is that if there is an emergency at home, I need to get home. If travel insurance can cover that, it would be preferrable.

I am planning on buying an independent policy- not through the cruiseline and listing my trip cost as the amount of the flights, cruise and the hotel in Fort Lauderdale, which is prepaid.

I will be buying an independent policy, not cruiseline insurance. My questions are:

Do most policies cover my two concerns above? Or either of them? Is this covered under trip interruption?

I would also like to have cancel for work reason's but I see that there are a couple of policies that provide it or I can get a separate rider for it, so I think I am okay there.