Amazing Secret River or Underground river and 5th Ave shopping?

ecooper05

Amazing Secret River or Underground river and 5th Ave shopping?

Has anyone done either of these? What's the difference...besides price?

Is one better than the other?

Thanks....

I did the Underground River and Famous 5th Ave Shopping through Carnival excursions in November 2013 and I absolutely loved it!!!

This excursion was great. It was well organized and planned. As soon as you get off the ship they have a sign where you pick up a sticker which gets you on a nice air conditioned ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen. The boat ride was very bumpy that day because of the waves but if you stay inside you will be fine. They also sell beverages and snacks on the ferry. Once you get to Playa Del Carmen you are met with your excursion guide whom will then place you into a nice air conditioned bus that takes you directly to Cenote Chaak Tun.

You can research this company online through tripadvisory--- CENOTE CHAAK TUN.

On the way to the cave-site, they give some history of the caves and also some history of Mexico. There's some interesting information shared by the guides. Upon arrival you are given water shoes, life jackets, lockers and helmets- which were all provided FREE. I don't know if the other company is the same. After you change, you make your way through the forest to the cave where you are met by a Mayan priest. A brief history is given about the Mayan people and than you begin to enter the caves.

The large group was divided into 2 smaller ones of about 15 people in each.

The caves are a great experience. the water is fresh and crystal clear. There are some deep sections, but you have a life vest so there's no reason to panic. During the experience you can expect to see and hear some fruit bats, which are harmless. The guides also gave out waterproof flashlights for you to use so that you could see better underwater and in dark areas. I brought my waterproof camera and was able to get some great shoots. The tour guide will even take pictures for you if you ask. They also have a photographer that takes pictures which you can purchase. The tour lasts about 90 minutes. Since I was in the first group, once the tour finished our group was lead to the food but our tour guide was nice enough to let us hang out, swim and take some photos while the 2nd group caught up us.

After the cave excursion you are taken to another cave for a great Mexican buffet. The food is really good and drinks (sodas/water) are provided. You are than taken back to Playa Del Carmen where you can go to the beach, shop or go to the bars. The beach is beautiful so make sure you check that out also. Your tour guides designate a meeting place where you will catch the bus back to the ferry to Cozumel. This was a great excursion, definately worth the money, they take care of everything and the food is great. I highly recommend it.

I think this excursion was great because it gives you the opportunity to have fun in the caves, some delicious food, and you can also hang out, shop, or take a dip in the beach if you would like.

Below are some pictures I was able to take in the cave and during shopping.

If you have any further questions let me know.

I dont know about the Amazing Secret River but this one was awesome!

I did the Underground River and Famous 5th Ave Shopping through Carnival excursions in November 2013 and I absolutely loved it!!!

This excursion was great. It was well organized and planned. As soon as you get off the ship they have a sign where you pick up a sticker which gets you on a nice air conditioned ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen. The boat ride was very bumpy that day because of the waves but if you stay inside you will be fine. They also sell beverages and snacks on the ferry. Once you get to Playa Del Carmen you are met with your excursion guide whom will then place you into a nice air conditioned bus that takes you directly to Cenote Chaak Tun.

You can research this company online through tripadvisory--- CENOTE CHAAK TUN.

On the way to the cave-site, they give some history of the caves and also some history of Mexico. There's some interesting information shared by the guides. Upon arrival you are given water shoes, life jackets, lockers and helmets- which were all provided FREE. I don't know if the other company is the same. After you change, you make your way through the forest to the cave where you are met by a Mayan priest. A brief history is given about the Mayan people and than you begin to enter the caves.

The large group was divided into 2 smaller ones of about 15 people in each.

The caves are a great experience. the water is fresh and crystal clear. There are some deep sections, but you have a life vest so there's no reason to panic. During the experience you can expect to see and hear some fruit bats, which are harmless. The guides also gave out waterproof flashlights for you to use so that you could see better underwater and in dark areas. I brought my waterproof camera and was able to get some great shoots. The tour guide will even take pictures for you if you ask. They also have a photographer that takes pictures which you can purchase. The tour lasts about 90 minutes. Since I was in the first group, once the tour finished our group was lead to the food but our tour guide was nice enough to let us hang out, swim and take some photos while the 2nd group caught up us.

After the cave excursion you are taken to another cave for a great Mexican buffet. The food is really good and drinks (sodas/water) are provided. You are than taken back to Playa Del Carmen where you can go to the beach, shop or go to the bars. The beach is beautiful so make sure you check that out also. Your tour guides designate a meeting place where you will catch the bus back to the ferry to Cozumel. This was a great excursion, definately worth the money, they take care of everything and the food is great. I highly recommend it.

I think this excursion was great because it gives you the opportunity to have fun in the caves, some delicious food, and you can also hang out, shop, or take a dip in the beach if you would like.

Below are some pictures I was able to take in the cave and during shopping.

If you have any further questions let me know.

I dont know about the Amazing Secret River but this one was awesome!

Thanks for all the info...it was great to hear all about your positive experience. And I think you have convinced me that this is the tour to take!

thanks again,

Liz

• 1 month later...

Hi. Does anyone know if plus-sized people will be able to fit though the "small openings" that were mentioned on the Carnival reviews of this tour?

Can someone who has been elaborate on exactly how "tight" those tunnels can get?

We just booked a last minute cruise on the Carnival Glory, leaving next weekend, and this tour seems wonderful!!

Thanks in advance!

Funmamas, we did the amazing secret river a couple of years ago....I dont know if its the same cave system that the previous posters were talking about....but..my husband is 6'2, 200lbs...managed the tight openings but had to squeeze so much on one that he ripped his wetsuit when it got caught on a rock formation. Remember I am talking about amazing secret river though...the excursion was intense and required lots of blind walking in waist deep water and the stalagmites were hazardous....we had some banged up toes, ankles, shins and knees. IT WAS THE BEST EXCURSION WE'VE EVER DONE! AMAZING! !!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Funmamas, we did the amazing secret river a couple of years ago....I dont know if its the same cave system that the previous posters were talking about....but..my husband is 6'2, 200lbs...managed the tight openings but had to squeeze so much on one that he ripped his wetsuit when it got caught on a rock formation. Remember I am talking about amazing secret river though...the excursion was intense and required lots of blind walking in waist deep water and the stalagmites were hazardous....we had some banged up toes, ankles, shins and knees. IT WAS THE BEST EXCURSION WE'VE EVER DONE! AMAZING! !!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I'm new here and jumped the gun. I see now that this is a different cave excursion, and it seems there is a weight limit on that one.

The one I was thinking about is the Underground River, and activity is fine, just possible tight squeezes may not work ... well, definitely wouldn't work if a 200 pound man tore his suit squeezing through!

Sounds like an amazing and adventurous tour though!! Glad you had fun. :)