Review of Silver Galapagos

u7mg0

We arranged for a group of six of us to do the cruise on January 11 for my birthday. We were quite apprehensive after reading all the negative reviews. I can’t say if they were warranted as our experience was quite different. Maybe SS did change things around 180 degrees. I am posting this on several web sites to get the word out.

We have been on 25 cruises- with Celebrity, and we are diamond members on Royal Caribbean. We are quite discriminating and enjoy the finer things. This was our first SS cruise, so we don’t really have a baseline to compare it to other SS cruises. Nonetheless, we were extremely happy and satisfied with our experience, except for some minor issues which need to be addressed.

Quito was cold and drizzly, but we had perfect sunny weather every day in the Galapogos. We were at the very beginning of the rainy season however, so I guess we lucked out.

We stayed two nights at the JW Marriott in Quito before the cruise. SS had a “hospitality” desk in the hotel. The girl at desk was useless. She offered little information, didn’t know answers to questions. There were apparently some hand towels and mimosas next to the desk, but she didn't offer to anyone. By the end of the night, they were still there and I wasn’t about to touch the cloudy mimosas. Celebrity (which also had a desk) actually brought drinks to their guests who were sitting down. We were also told by the girl that we would receive a 5:30 wakeup call. Never did. I am glad I made my own with the hotel. You should too.

The transfer to the airport was uneventful, but long. Over an hour. There was someone there to check us in and give us our boarding passes. Process seemed to work fine. We arrived in Baltra in about 1.75 hours. We had to wait in the VIP room while everyone checked in. I guess I am not used to VIP referring to water, coke, and a bowl of Doritos. But, it was third world and part of the airport, so it wasn’t SS doing. The 5 minute bus ride to the dock was not so unpleasant, even if the bus had no air conditioning. The breeze served fine.

We boarded the Zodiac and that took us to the ship. Welcoming staff was pleasant, although no one showed us to the room. It was easy to find however. The next issue was the butler. The website indicates that the butler will even unpack. Well, we never saw ours, so I unpacked myself. I did mention this to the front desk on our way to a briefing, and she did finally show up. I suspect SS had her doing other things instead of greeting us. She did try hard and brought us everything we asked for. Towards the end of the cruise, she knew we liked champagne with lunch and did provide a bottle several times. I’m not sure if I wanted or expected more from her, but the touting of a butler really didn’t bowl me over. It was like a cabin steward for the most part. But on this cruise, I don’t know what more could have been done.

The room was adequate – all wood, sort of cruise-liner look – Room 425. Bathroom was updated and fine. There was no storage for suitcases, so as another poster recommended, we put them in the closet and put our shoes on top.

We alternated our meals between The Restaurant (dining room) and the Grill (outside on the deck). I have to say we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and menu selections, given that the all of the provisions must come from Ecuador. The Restaurant is still pretty dated, even though the furniture has been updated. No fine china or crystal – maybe that was offputting to some – but it was quite sufficient. The service from the staff was top notch. Juan Pablo, Pepe, and Eduardo were always attentive. We never had to ask for bread or water. They really work hard, and although not perfect, definitely made our experience pleasant. On my birthday, they had a nice cake for me. When I returned to my room, it was beautifully decorated with candles (fake) and ribbons, and champagne.

Lunch and dinner at the Grill was good. Lunch was mostly local seafood. I’m not a big seafood fan, but everything was quite tasty. They had a different ceviche every day; some I tried. They also have some non-fish items. Ask for a burger as it’s not on their menu. At dinner, you had choices of good salads, then either steak or seafood which comes out raw, but you cook it on a hot lava stone. Quite unique, but just remember to watch for doneness. Our wine glasses were always kept full. The piano player was up on deck playing background music. After dinner, we moved the tables out of the way and many people danced and did conga lines. Maybe a result of all the wine. One waiter sang Ecuadorian songs. They were fun nights. If you are used to after dinner tea in the library kind of atmosphere, probably not for you.

Evening cocktails in the piano bar was fun. Sometimes I would be playing the piano for everyone. Roberto the bartender was quite friendly and remembered your drink of choice. Liquor choices were ok – Absolute vodka was the best you’ll get. The wines were ok and all South American. I personally don’t like wines from Chile, but I found a few from Argentina that I chose all week.

Wi-fi was quick, but unavailable at certain times, understandably. Although I would like it to be included in the price next time.

Recommend doing a cruise critic meet and greet. There were 8 of us, and the captain and hotel manager come to chat with us for an hour with drinks and hors devours in the piano lounge. I suspect they wanted to make a good impression knowing that we were participating in the cruise critic forum, but that's okay.

The air conditioning system is old and very inadequate. That was a complaint from everyone. The control in the room doesn’t work.

Excursion crews were top notch they were very friendly, funny and told us a lot about the wildlife we were seeing. The zodiac tours are very well done. If you don't get on the first raft, there is one waiting right after. I think they have established a very good and efficient system transferring you to land. The 7pm briefing every night is a must. It will give you good information for the next day on what you’ll see, what you need to wear, etc. Our leader, Israel, was wonderful. You will see a plethora of wildlife everywhere. We swam with Sea lions and sea turtles, penguins, gorgeous fish. Mingled with iguanas and boobies on land. This is what the trip is mostly about. One recommendation is to get a anti-rash shirt at Sports Authority to wear under the wet-suit. The water is still chilly and this was helpful. Bring aqua shoes as there are several we landings.

Apparently there is an issue with keeping the wait staff. I think they are fairly well trained (and always getting further trained) but they don't like to spend the nine weeks on board. I find that unusual because on other cruise ships, they will usually spend six to nine months. But, it is a requirement that the entire staff be from Ecuador, and apparently they don't like spending that much time (nor would I).

The bottom line

As many have said, this is an excursion cruise for the Galapagos. It’s not the white-gloved service on the Titanic, but certainly beyond acceptable. There seemed to be a few people who were never satisfied with anything, and probably won’t be. But the majority of the passengers were nice and had no issues with the cruise. One must also be cognizant on issues that are with SS for which the crew has no control over.

Thank you for the review, glad the Galapagos was everything you wanted to experience.

Sounds like your group had a fun time in the evenings. Did you find the dining areas warm or was the AC working there? Going in a month & trying to figure out what to bring for dinner- was it casual for both men & women- shorts ok for men?

no skirt, no dress, 2 pr slacks, 2 pr capris, 2 pr shorts, multiple tops. it is the shoes that take the space! sneakers for MP, Keen's (not comfortable) for Galapagos?, and of course my ugly disgusting but I love them and they are comfy crocs, plus the shoes i am wearing. . bulky son of a guns!. All will be packed into a carry on because I am afraid of the airlines losing something and we go on 2 different airlines and 3 separate flights!. Now i read that Peru is considering closing the MP rails altogether and closing MP to tourists, all because of the excessive rain and the rising water in the river. Please NOOOOOO! I have waited YEARS to do this and I know there will be no other opportunity. Cross fingers PLEASE. Want the rain to STOP.

no skirt, no dress, 2 pr slacks, 2 pr capris, 2 pr shorts, multiple tops. it is the shoes that take the space! sneakers for MP, Keen's (not comfortable) for Galapagos?, and of course my ugly disgusting but I love them and they are comfy crocs, plus the shoes i am wearing. . bulky son of a guns!. All will be packed into a carry on because I am afraid of the airlines losing something and we go on 2 different airlines and 3 separate flights!. Now i read that Peru is considering closing the MP rails altogether and closing MP to tourists, all because of the excessive rain and the rising water in the river. Please NOOOOOO! I have waited YEARS to do this and I know there will be no other opportunity. Cross fingers PLEASE. Want the rain to STOP.

Oh no! Listen to 5waldos, go off with a whatever will be attitude & we will all hope for the best!

Thank you for the review, glad the Galapagos was everything you wanted to experience.

Sounds like your group had a fun time in the evenings. Did you find the dining areas warm or was the AC working there? Going in a month & trying to figure out what to bring for dinner- was it casual for both men & women- shorts ok for men?

The dining areas were a bit warm. the bedrooms were extremely warm. especially if the sun was beating down on the windows. Keep drapes closed. Dress was very casual, short sleeve collared shirts are fine. No shorts in the dining room though.

The dining areas were a bit warm. the bedrooms were extremely warm. especially if the sun was beating down on the windows. Keep drapes closed. Dress was very casual, short sleeve collared shirts are fine. No shorts in the dining room though.

So blue jeans are fine for dinner for the guys?