Coast Guard medevacs injured cruise ship Veendam passenger

johngettler

Wow, didn't realize my thread subject line would be so devisive. I simply copied that subject from the headline of the 2nd link news article. Looks like headline of the 1st link was a tad clearer. Too late to edit subject line now. :)

Anywho... heard from mom that they now know their new adjusted itinerary. The ship will arrive to Hawaii one day late, so they are going to delay the first Hilo port by one day. And the second Honolulu port will now be 1 day instead of 2. I think this is what most passengers would want in this situation. So I commend HAL for the tremendous amount of work it must of taken to move all the excursions around and find a way to dock at Hilo a day late. It would of been ten times easier on HAL to just skip Hilo.

John

Wow, didn't realize my thread subject line would be so devisive. I simply copied that subject from the headline of the 2nd link news article. Looks like headline of the 1st link was a tad clearer. Too late to edit subject line now. :)

Anywho... heard from mom that they now know their new adjusted itinerary. The ship will arrive to Hawaii one day late, so they are going to delay the first Hilo port by one day. And the second Honolulu port will now be 1 day instead of 2. I think this is what most passengers would want in this situation. So I commend HAL for the tremendous amount of work it must of taken to move all the excursions around and find a way to dock at Hilo a day late. It would of been ten times easier on HAL to just skip Hilo.

John

Thank you for the update on the itinerary change.

I did not worry about the thread title - was more concerned about the woman and her husband not being able to be with here.

I have seen two falls on cruise ships. Not happy! I hope she makes a fast recovery. So sad!!!

Robin

We have seen quite a few falls on ships.

Many were on HAL and a couple were when HAL had people wear their life jackets to the lifeboat drill and they left their the cords dragging on the ground.

I sure hope we hear in a few days how she is doing.

On our most recent cruise, they didn't require people to wear lifejackets to the drill because they were worried about injuries from falls. They also requested that able bodied people stay out of the elevators so people with disabilities can use them for the drill.

As confirmed by HAL and the Hilo cruise port on the morning of January 27th...

The ship will get into the islands 1 day late. And they will make all their ports but they are now in a completely different order, and Honolulu will be just 1 day instead of 2.

new Itinerary:

At Sea - January 27th

Honolulu January 28th - Until Midnight

Nawiliwili Kauai 29th

Kona 30th

Hilo 31st

Lahaina 1st

As confirmed by HAL and the Hilo cruise port on the morning of January 27th...

The ship will get into the islands 1 day late. And they will make all their ports but they are now in a completely different order, and Honolulu will be just 1 day instead of 2.

new Itinerary:

At Sea - January 27th

Honolulu January 28th - Until Midnight

Nawiliwili Kauai 29th

Kona 30th

Hilo 31st

Lahaina 1st

I wonder how much trouble this causes for those with private tours? Can private tour operators adjust to this type of change? If not, can those passengers affected normally sign up with a HAL excursion, or is it usually too late due to tours being sold out?

I wonder how much trouble this causes for those with private tours? Can private tour operators adjust to this type of change? If not, can those passengers affected normally sign up with a HAL excursion, or is it usually too late due to tours being sold out?

Normally private tour operators can adjust if they are not booked up for tours from other ships/hotels on the new dates & they have guides, drivers & extra equipment available..But if they are booked up for those dates then the Psgr. is out of luck..

Many times HAL has space avail on their tours but you never know.. I always assumed that if they had an abundance of overlow Psgrs they could just order another bus/van but that is not always the case..There are times when HAL"s Tour Operators have their guides & buses booked up in advance.. On our lJan. cruise we were turned away when trying to book a tour several days before.. That was unusual, but for the life of me can't remember which port it was.. LOL

The logistics involved in rescheduling are enormous for all carriers!

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499