Estimate airfare??

azcater

If you have not yet purchased airfare, you do not yet need to insure it, as that money is not yet "at risk". In fact, you don't even need to yet insure the whole cruise fare itself if you have paid only a deposit. Likewise, unless a hotel reservation is non-refundable, you don't need to insure it at all, beyond the cancellation penalty.

Once you make payments (or commitments, like a hotel reservation with a cancellation penalty), you promptly call or e-mail the insurer and ask them to add it to the policy; they'll tell you how much additional premium you need to send in.

So what if I want to have the preexisting condition coverage that requires I book within 14-21 days of my cruise deposit? Does your prior statement apply to that situation also, sirwired? I'm in the same bind. I've booked 2 cruises and one will need airfare but it's not til April 2015. I don't want the company to be able to deny coverage based on a preexisting condition...

So what if I want to have the preexisting condition coverage that requires I book within 14-21 days of my cruise deposit? Does your prior statement apply to that situation also, sirwired? I'm in the same bind. I've booked 2 cruises and one will need airfare but it's not til April 2015. I don't want the company to be able to deny coverage based on a preexisting condition...

Yes. You don't need to insure payments you haven't made. You need to buy the policy within the 14-21 days, and make the required premium additions promptly also, but you don't need to insure money that's not yet at risk.

Thanks! I don't usually book airfare in conjunction with a cruise, but my sailing in April 2015 will be a repo so I'm expanding my horizons. I don't consider myself of below average intelligence, but when I start to see the "legalese" in some of the policies I find I am unsure if I really am understanding what I'm reading. :o Your plain-English response is VERY much appreciated!