Review of the Liberty

Cruisin 4 Ever

Day 4 January 21 - St Thomas

We got up at 6 am and had room service for our tea and coffee for the balcony.

The scenery as we pulled into St. Thomas was stunning. We were off the ship by 10. One of the many things I really liked about this cruise is that we arrived in port up to an hour early at every port. Since my favourite thing is visitng the ports, extra time is a huge bonus!

DH and I had decided we wanted a day to ourselves so this was the day. We got off the ship by 10 am. MIL and FIL booked the Accessible St Thomas tour. We researched some things to do but really just wanted a relaxing day at a beach. We settled on Emerald Beach. We walked over to the area where the taxis were all waiting. It was complete mayhem. We got on a taxi/bus type thing and found out we were the only ones heading to the beach, everyone else was either going shopping downtown, or on a tour of the island. Once we got downtown, the driver told us to get off the bus and go with some woman standing at the corner. We were creeped out but for some unknown reason we went with her anyway. For most of the ride we were both thinking there was a chance this woman (who happened t be very odd and creepy looking) had a hatchet and we were "goners" :eek: Not sure what we were thinking, but in the end she did take us exactly where we were supposed to go.

We arrived at the Best Western Emerald Beach around 10:30. The weather was perfect and the beach was so beautiful as was the scenery surrounding it. We found some loungers and went swimming. We got a beer and a coke and it was over $10 with tip. We ended up walking down the beach just a few hundred feet and there were some guys with a cooler selling ice cold beer and pop. We got another beer and pop and it was only $4. We stayed at the beach for a few hours and shortly before we were about to leave someone came around from the resort and said we were welcome to stay but wuld have to pay for the loungers if we wanted to use them. It was $7 per lounger but since we were leaving we didn't end up renting them. All in all it was pretty inexpensive since we'd used the loungers for a few hours and had drinks pretty cheap. We ordered some fries from the resort before we left and took a taxi back to the ship.

We dropped off our stuff at the cabin and went to do some shopping. DH bought a hat and I bought some Triple Sec for $9 for a large bottle:)

We met up with the inlaws around 4:00. They thought their excursion was just ok. It was at 11:30. They were waiting at 10:30 and were told they were too early and to come back at 11:15. When they did the bus was packed and they couldn't even sit together. They said the person giving the tour didn't speak english very well so they didn't understand much of what was said.

We went back to our cabin, relaxed for a bit, showered and got ready for dinner.

2014_0124cruise20140083.jpg.d0c052f36c0367b48d09da603bcc0a22.jpg

2014_0124cruise20140085.jpg.3be8381caf74fd465fab71829d3d6602.jpg

2014_0124cruise20140104.jpg.d728313ada8436fae4845a59db82d662.jpg

2014_0124cruise20140121.jpg.b94eefa71037d980ad54ca146fc2061f.jpg

2014_0124cruise20140123.jpg.d0f448420a78edd60def1513dfb54b85.jpg

Knowing taste is subjective, what was the best new thing you ate and what didn't you like? Also, did you have a great wait staff?

Although the prime rib and dual of petit filet mignon and sort rib confit were outstanding, I had Linguine with sausage in it one night and I absolutely loved it. That was my favourite.

I didn't like the Pasta with mushroom sauce or the cream of mushroom soup. Aside from those everything on the new menu was delicious.

We had really poor service the first couple of nights. And by porr service I mean not getting drinks for over an hours, dinner taking in excess of 2.5 hours, no tea and coffee with dessert even we ordered them together. I'm good with a 2 hour meal but beyond that just becomes excessive for me. Then we discovered table 215 with a waiter named Ketut. He was FANTASTIC> His service was excellent, and he was very friendly. Anything we asked him for was always met with "Why not?" Like miy husband asking if he could have 2 appetizers, or having a main for an appetizer.

Edited by boyle0268

Although the prime rib and dual of petit filet mignon and sort rib confit were outstanding, I had Linguine with sausage in it one night and I absolutely loved it. That was my favourite.

I didn't like the Pasta with mushroom sauce or the cream of mushroom soup. Aside from those everything on the new menu was delicious.

We had really poor service the first couple of nights. And by porr service I mean not getting drinks for over an hours, dinner taking in excess of 2.5 hours, no tea and coffee with dessert even we ordered them together. I'm good with a 2 hour meal but beyond that just becomes excessive for me. Then we discovered table 215 with a waiter named Ketut. He was FANTASTIC> His service was excellent, and he was very friendly. Anything we asked him for was always met with "Why not?" Like miy husband asking if he could have 2 appetizers, or having a main for an appetizer.

I have read about Ketut before. Hope not too many CC members on my cruise want to have dinner the same time as me! :D

I have read about Ketut before. Hope not too many CC members on my cruise want to have dinner the same time as me! :D

I think you'll really like him. Very efficient. He knew what we wanted to drink and our names after just one night of waiting on us. His team is good too. On top of that he has a good section. Some of the sections have the tables squished so close together you might as well all be sitting at the same table.

I will answer any new dining questions asked during this review so fire away.

Did you or anyone near you try the Basa fillet? Is it the same as the Martini braised Basa fillet they used to have?

Also, I see a lot of complaints about the lack of dessert variety on Feast nights. Were the ones offered at least good?

Did you or anyone near you try the Basa fillet? Is it the same as the Martini braised Basa fillet they used to have?

Also, I see a lot of complaints about the lack of dessert variety on Feast nights. Were the ones offered at least good?

One of my in laws did have the basa I believe but I don't know if it's the same as it used to be. They had Mahi Mahi and salmon as well and all the fish they had was excellent.

The desserts they offered were very minimal. I would say that the desserts were the least favourite part of every meal. There were only one or 2 really good desserts the whole cruise. A couple of times the chocolate melting cake wasn't even great - both of those times it was SERIOUSLY undercooked - it's supposed to be very moist, but it was so "moist" it was completely runny liquid. The pie was so-so. There were a couple of really great desserts - the hazelnut mousse cake was great and there was a really tasty brioche.

I think you'll really like him. Very efficient. He knew what we wanted to drink and our names after just one night of waiting on us. His team is good too. On top of that he has a good section. Some of the sections have the tables squished so close together you might as well all be sitting at the same table.

How do you pronounce Ketut? I'll ask for him on my cruise in 2weeks. Thanks :)