Viking-Gullveig-water line rooms???

CalTravelers

We have tentatively booked a water line room for Sept. 19 - all that is available ! Anyone have any comments on these rooms? We are Cat. E in the center and not under a public room. We are leary of the room location. But this is a newer ship and we do have a small window. Room space is actually larger than the balcony fooms. All feedback welcomed! This will be our second trip with Viking.:)

We travelled in a waterline room (aka Aquarium Class) on the Viking Aegir last year. We were very happy with our room

Now - we tend to purposely book lowest category cabins... to save money for the next trip. One thing we did note on our trip was that the stairway to the lowest level on a Viking Longship is the most user friendly of any ship we have travelled on. Good riser/runner ratio, good hand rail, straight stairway (ie: no curve....)

Fran

Edited by franski

We had a Cat E cabin on the Embla in the fall. It was the only category available when we booked and I was worried that it would feel damp (had that on a river cruise in China - awful feeling, sheets even felt damp when you got into bed). But we were very pleased with the room - it didn't have any feeling of being "underwater" - no dampness. Also no noise issues from plumbing or engine. We've intentionally booked that category for our next Viking cruise in Portugal.

Also as you you said, those cabins are a bit larger than the french balcony category. And since we mostly are in the cabin for changing and sleeping and spend the rest of the time on the ship in the public spaces we don't feel the need for a balcony.

So for us on the new ships aquarium class is fine -- not sure whether on older ships that would hold true or not.

I was on Viking Odin in March in one of those cabins and it was fine.

You are really only in your cabin to sleep anyway.

I was on the Viking Helvetia in November in a cabin with a French Balcony and it was nice but when another ship ties up to you, you can't see anything except the people in the other ship....

Thanks Fran for the quick response. Was the room noisy from rushing water and noisy from ship's plumbing??? Saw this on another post for lower rooms.

Linda

Hi Linda -

I find the toilets are loud on all river boats - but, that is within our own cabin, not necessarily something we hear from any other cabins.

At times I could hear some plumbing noises, but not enough to bother me.

Fran