battery tester?

sugarking

I have a Pride GoGo and my battery seems like it is losing power. Although it is relatively new and I rarely use it, I charge it twice weekly. Is there anywhere that I can have it tested?

Thank you, in advance!

xococruiser, thank you for answering my post. Do you know where I can purchase tester? I assume it is not the same tester that one uses for AA batteries.

The battery tester has to be compatible with the voltage of the batteries. Depending on the Pride Go Go model you have the batteries are either 12V or 18V. Do not personally own a battery tester nor have I purchased from this website but check this out : http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/batterytest.

In your original post you stated that the scooter is relatively new, rarely use it and charge it twice a week. Given this information it could be that the batteries did not go through a proper break-in period and never gotten to a 100% charge.

Brand new batteries come from the manufacturer at only an 80% capacity. The batteries have to be driven down to right before the yellow range on the tiller indicator before being charged. At which time it has to be charged for 12-14 hours. This process has to be done 4-5 times before the batteries are holding a 100% charge. After the 4th or 5th time of driving the batteries down to the yellow indicator the batteries should be charged nightly if used daily or once a week for 8-12 hours if rarely used.

FYI I have a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler with 12 volt batteries. The batteries I just replaced lasted 5 years and were only charged once a week because it was not regularly used. Dealer told me that average life of the batteries is 3 years .

Unfortunately this is something that's not printed in the owners manual. I learned this from the mobility scooter dealer that just replaced my batteries. In fact I received a complete print out detailing the break-in process and this information was received from one of the top mobility scooter dealers in the Chicago area.

Edited by xxoocruiser

xxoo THANK YOU for that battery information. I've been having problems with scooter batteries since I started needing a full time scooter four years ago. Every person at the various scooter places have told a different story. One says always run it down. Another says recharge daily, from the beginning. Another says batteries can't build up a memory while others say they can. Your steps make the most sense. I've never had a heavy duty battery last longer than 9 months.

xxoo THANK YOU for that battery information. I've been having problems with scooter batteries since I started needing a full time scooter four years ago. Every person at the various scooter places have told a different story. One says always run it down. Another says recharge daily, from the beginning. Another says batteries can't build up a memory while others say they can. Your steps make the most sense. I've never had a heavy duty battery last longer than 9 months.

You're welcome !

Right now my desk is a mess but in the next week or so 'll post the complete battery break-in period instructions given when the batteries were replaced just this past September.