Personal Safety

SqueakyDust

We've been hearing stories (and I'm hoping they are just that) that Barbados is not a safe place anymore to travel independently (ie. outwith a tour).

We were planning on hiring a car and travelling to some of the tourist areas with our two young children (you've helped me a bit in the past Barbados, on this)

We wanted to do Welchmans Gully, the Reserve/Zoo, maybe drive through Bathsheba and then back to Carlisle Bay.

Will we be okay doing this, or should we just hire a driver to take us?

The last time we drove in Barbados all roads led to Bridgetown, but now I'm being led to believe there are many more roads and that they are hard to navigate, traffic is bad etc etc.

What are others experience/opinions?

thanks

I don't think your going to have a problem. While our "crime rate" seems to be up a little at the moment, I don't think it's a tourist thing. While all roads still lead to Bridgetown, there are problably just a few more to navigate than normal. When was the last time you were here??

the only place, of all those that you mentioned visiting, that you may have problems with traffic is going to be Carlisle Bay. and this will also depend on what time. Between 9am and about 330pm, you should be ok.. Course if you get stuck behind a transport board bus (big blue monster buses) on your way from the wild life reserve to Bathsheba, you could be stuck and hard pressed to find a place to pass.. but sit back and enjoy the view (from the side windows, not the front..hehehe).

Enjoy your stay

Thanks, Sunnie.

The last time we drove there was in 1989, and visited for a day in 1999.

Are there traffic jams along the road that Carlisle Bay is on, leading to Bridgetown? Could this be a problem for us getting back to the ship on time?

Cost wise, which would be better - car hire or taxi tour?

Thanks, Sunnie.

The last time we drove there was in 1989, and visited for a day in 1999.

Are there traffic jams along the road that Carlisle Bay is on, leading to Bridgetown? Could this be a problem for us getting back to the ship on time?

Cost wise, which would be better - car hire or taxi tour?

Archived