Just Booked Nativeway...Share your Experience

dyanna72

I just booked the Rays, Reef & Rum Point Tour for my trip in Feb 2006 with Nativeway thanks to the many positive posts on this board.

Would like to hear anyone's experience on taking this tour as it will give me more ideas of what to look forward too:)

What food was there to order, what drink did they serve on board the boat?

Dyanna

I booked the same tour with Nativeway for September 6. Would also like to hear what others think. So far, they have been fantastic with all of my pre-booking questions and ease of getting registered with them.

There are several posts on this tour which sounds absolutely wonderful! I believe there are several choices for lunch at Rum Point but again, am sure if you did a search, you would find tons of information on this tour.

We were there July 5, and it was fantastic. The people were very nice and helpful, we saw lots of stingrays, fed them, had pictures with them, held them--plenty of time--but be sure to take your underwater camera as well as your regular one --some people didn't think of it, and we got some great shots. Wear the snorkel, too, so you can swim under and see them. it is shallow, but you can get a great view under the water. And the reef was very interesting--we saw an eel and a nurse shark and lots of fish. Be sure to wear sunscreen and if you get a back massage from the rays, you may want to reapply it. Or wear a tshirt while snorkeling.

On the boat, they had some fresh water and a koolaid type drink. You may want to bring some extra water. There were lots of choices for lunch--I had a jerk pork sandwish and DH had Mahi Mahi sandwich. We also ordered some drinks--kind of expensive--you can buy extra food too. Some snorkeling there but not really. It is a nice spot, though.

Beware of time--we were a little close getting back to port--just no time for shopping. Just let them know what time you really need / want to be back and they will do their best.

Have fun--wish I was there again!

Kim

We did the Rays, Reef and Wreck tour on July 20th. It was wonderful. Had the jerk cheeseburger. The menu has a nice variety from grilled chicken to fish to chicken tendeers. Food was very good and the drinks are expensive (they do supply ice tea and water). Had the mudslide and loved it. The info about the tour says that the tour ends at 2:45 pm, we made it back to the pier at 3:17 pm. The last tender was supposed to be at 3:15 but luckily there was a long line. We were on the next to last tender. I almost screamed because on the way back to the pier they stopped at a hotel to let people off.. Someone else mentioned that they had that happen to them. It is true that if you talk to the guides while at Rum Point they will leave a little early, our group was a little slow to gather. We left Rum Point at 2:15. It was a wonderful tour, our favorite of the week. We still talk about Rum Point. I haven't been to a lot of places in the world but Rum Point was one of the most beautiful places I've seen. Our guides were Shelden and Blender (his nickname) they were great with the rays and gave us all ample time and opportunity to get photos.

One more thing, we were on the Victory and the day after the Caymans we talked with a couple that said they never got off the ship because the tender situation was so bad. People were getting into physical fights to get a spot on the tender. So get off the ship early.

Have fun

We did Nativeway on July 21st. The staff was great. We were on one of the first tenders and had to wait a while on the pier for everyone to tender over. We took a bus from the pier area to the boat -- couldn't have been more than 10 minutes. Then we were off to the Rays. It really is a fantastic experience.

The reef snorkeling was awesome. I asked the videographer if she had fish food to entice them! She said no - it's just like that!!

Unfortunately for us a major thunderstorm moved in after we had ordered lunch (the menu is a full page of choices!). For safety they opted to take us back rather than on to Rum Point. We were sad to miss Rum Point but on the plus side we didn't have to worry to about missing our tender!

We didn't get to go to Grand Cayman in March due to rough seas -- so I was just ecstatic to get to tender in and go to Stingray City.

I would use Nativeway again.

I also booked with Nativeway for 8/14 Explorer Cruise. Doing the

Rays, Reef and Rum point tour. Spoke with Sharon at Nativeway

about the timing. She said "no problem, we do this every day".

I hope she is right. Looking forward to the tour.

Frank

We just got home from the Miracle yesterday and so we did the R3 tour with Nativeway on 7/26. It was wonderful for many it was the best excursion we had all week. We were a group of 17 and Sharon let us have our own boat which was great. We went down to catch a tender thinking we might have to wait in line but got right on board and were early for our 9:00 a.m. (Cayman time) tour. The stingray sandbar was so cool. Even my mom who is basically a non-swimmer and my dad who rarely gets in the ocean touched the rays. The guides were very patient and helpful. Afterwards we went snorkling and the guides fed a nurse shark and held it so that we could all pet it...so cool. There was also a moray eel that they pointed out and one of the guides made sure it didn't get too friendly with any of the snorklers. Again, very cool. Next we headed off to Rum Point beach and as someone said it is about as picturesque as it comes. Lunch was good many in my group had the fish and chips, some had the Mahi Mahi sandwich, the kids had chicken nuggests, someone had a salad. All the food was good and there was a big selection. We had about an hour on the beach after lunch. There are clean restrooms there and a fresh water shower. Our teens played vollyball most of the time we were there and some of us just hung out on the hammocks and lounges. We got back to the tenders walked on and headed back to the ship. No problem at all with time. Again I would highly recommend this tour and company. The only downside to this tour that I can think of is that it took our entire day in GC. This wasn't any big deal for us but if you are interested in shopping or doing other exploring of the island than you might want to consider a shorter tour.

Hi, I will be in GC in Feb too, and planning on Booking with Native Ways, what ship will you be on? We are on Radiance of the Seas 2/19-2/26, there will be nine cruise ships in port the day we are in, so I am also very worried about the time and crowds.

How was the snorkeling at the Barrier Reef? How long did you get to snorkel?

Do we bring beach towels from home to go to the beach with, or do we take towels from the cabin?

Thanks!

I don't have much experience with snorkeling but I loved the the Barrier Reef. Our guide got a moray eel to come out and some people saw a nurse shark. I think we had 30 minutes, but I'm not sure. It was a wonderful tour. We talk about Rum Point everyday. Oh, we did bring our towels but not sure if we used them. After the Rays and the Reef we sat on the front of the boat and that dried us off.

We just got home from the Miracle yesterday and so we did the R3 tour with Nativeway on 7/26. It was wonderful for many it was the best excursion we had all week. We were a group of 17 and Sharon let us have our own boat which was great. We went down to catch a tender thinking we might have to wait in line but got right on board and were early for our 9:00 a.m. (Cayman time) tour. The stingray sandbar was so cool. Even my mom who is basically a non-swimmer and my dad who rarely gets in the ocean touched the rays. The guides were very patient and helpful. Afterwards we went snorkling and the guides fed a nurse shark and held it so that we could all pet it...so cool. There was also a moray eel that they pointed out and one of the guides made sure it didn't get too friendly with any of the snorklers. Again, very cool. Next we headed off to Rum Point beach and as someone said it is about as picturesque as it comes. Lunch was good many in my group had the fish and chips, some had the Mahi Mahi sandwich, the kids had chicken nuggests, someone had a salad. All the food was good and there was a big selection. We had about an hour on the beach after lunch. There are clean restrooms there and a fresh water shower. Our teens played vollyball most of the time we were there and some of us just hung out on the hammocks and lounges. We got back to the tenders walked on and headed back to the ship. No problem at all with time. Again I would highly recommend this tour and company. The only downside to this tour that I can think of is that it took our entire day in GC. This wasn't any big deal for us but if you are interested in shopping or doing other exploring of the island than you might want to consider a shorter tour.

pands has a very accurate review. I was there last Tuesday and love the tour with Nativeways!! The only downside was that this tour basically took up your whole day with the afternoon tender back to the cruise boat. Book it today! You won't regret it.

I too have booked Native Way.....just today. We are going on the Victory, Nov. 20th cruise. We went to GC last year but couldn't do the rays because of high winds so we are gonna give it another try this time. We are on the 9 am short tour, the rays and coral gardens. We wanted some time to go into town again. shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grand Cayman is so beautiful. Plus we didn't want to cut it so close with time since the tender line is always so long and slow.

We just booked Nativeway for our August 14th cruise. I'm still worried about cutting it close with the tenders back to the ship. Is this really a problem or should I just relax, and assume they know what they are doing??

1sttimemariner...which tour did you book with Nativeway? We are booked on the regular 2 stop tour (snorkel & see the stingrays). We are on the Victory and will be in port on August 18th...won't you be there the same day too?

Was the lunch included in the price?

Lunch is included in the price of Rays, Reef & Rum Point Tour. On the way to RP they will give you a menu to order from, they then will call the order in & lunch will be there when you arrive.

Dyanna

Archived