NCL breakaway BX balcony cabin. Did we make the right choice?

BBmommy

This is my family's (husband and two kids) first cruise and we booked NCL Breakaway's lowest balcony category BX8710. At first we thought we lucked out in finding such a steal but after some thinking we aren't sure why this price is so low compared to the other balcony categories. We know that the location could be a factor but the price is still too low compared to other balconies at the forward of the ship. If anyone knows any information regarding this room please let us know as we are unsure if we made the right choice. Thanks!

THe BX category on the breakaway is 2 things really (I'll explain how I found this out)

first there are 4 balconies (2 on each side) that are all the way forward. Usually forward is cheaper than mid/aft. Also they are ONLY on deck 8. Which might get noise from below? not really sure.

The second thing is the BX category is also a Guarentee Balcony Category.

So my thought is, if your ok with the placement on deck 8 and all the way forward - even if its a guarentee, it can only get better.

How I found this out - we're book for the Breakaway Nov 30 sailing. We booked a midship inside ($649 each at the time - now 629 with latitudes offer). Saw they were offering $100 obc so I called to see if I could get that added on. While I was on the phone I was looking around and saw the BX category was $649 - our original price and also came with the $100 OBC. When I was talking to the rep they had some issues to get it through and it actually took two calls and them to get a supervisor on the phone to get it to work. At first she said that I'd get a room number but then when they went to book me in the room she couldn't and then it said it was a guarantee balcony. After some hold time they came back with an answer from someone else and what they told me was how its really 2 different things. Looks like the room they wanted to book me in was already selected and the other 3 were already "claimed" and thus I got a guarantee of any balcony.

If you have a specific number then you'll be in that room. otherwise it'll say GTY on your invoice/documents.

Hope this helps.

I've noticed before when we first booked, the BX category was NOT this low. But honestly I'm happy with any balcony for the same price as a midship inside.

I can only answer based on what I have read on other reviews. I do remember reading that the four BX cabins do have a large balcony. I'm pretty sure that I also remember reading of complaints about the noise under them - something about service area maybe? So if you don't mind the noise or location, it sounds like the large balcony (85-118 sq feet compared to standard balcony at 35 sq feet) is great!

Edited by Taylor95

Thanks for the great feedback! I guess my husband and I have to weigh in on the pros and cons now that we have some information regarding the BX room. Not sure how we feel about heavy noise in a room when my toddler is down for his nap and all. But nonetheless I'm grateful that we have more specs about this room other than what NCL posted on their website.

• 2 months later...

On January 24 I booked cabin 8710 for the November 30 sailing, and you posted on January 28, saying the 4 actual BX cabins were gone. Those didn't last long; at my time of booking I believe there were 3 of the 4 actual BX cabins available, so I'm very happy I booked this when I did! I too paid 649, and now I see the balcony guarantee going for 849.

I am thinking it's going to be a fantastic room. The deck plan shows it situated above the backstage area, so I really don't think noise will be a problem. I have read the same cabins on the Epic are over a lounge, so those could have noise issues. A couple table mates on the Carnival Conquest had a balcony guarantee and ended up above the Degas Lounge. They really were not happy with their cabin, so I am reluctant to go the guarantee route.

Being able to select a cabin at a guarantee price plust get a triple sized balcony made me jump on this. Yes, the balcony railing is set back about a foot, so there is no direct downward view to the water, but in my mind that is not a problem. There is still plenty of ocean to take in and some very nice private outdoor space! Perhaps the perception of forward cabins being less desirable is the potential for a rough ride if the weather gets bad. Well there are penthouse suites above my cabin, so I guess being forward cannot be that bad...

I've got to put my cruise out of my mind. The end of November is too far off, and the thought of another winter just nauseates me.

THe BX category on the breakaway is 2 things really (I'll explain how I found this out)

first there are 4 balconies (2 on each side) that are all the way forward. Usually forward is cheaper than mid/aft. Also they are ONLY on deck 8. Which might get noise from below? not really sure.

The second thing is the BX category is also a Guarentee Balcony Category.

So my thought is, if your ok with the placement on deck 8 and all the way forward - even if its a guarentee, it can only get better.

How I found this out - we're book for the Breakaway Nov 30 sailing. We booked a midship inside ($649 each at the time - now 629 with latitudes offer). Saw they were offering $100 obc so I called to see if I could get that added on. While I was on the phone I was looking around and saw the BX category was $649 - our original price and also came with the $100 OBC. When I was talking to the rep they had some issues to get it through and it actually took two calls and them to get a supervisor on the phone to get it to work. At first she said that I'd get a room number but then when they went to book me in the room she couldn't and then it said it was a guarantee balcony. After some hold time they came back with an answer from someone else and what they told me was how its really 2 different things. Looks like the room they wanted to book me in was already selected and the other 3 were already "claimed" and thus I got a guarantee of any balcony.

If you have a specific number then you'll be in that room. otherwise it'll say GTY on your invoice/documents.

Hope this helps.

I've noticed before when we first booked, the BX category was NOT this low. But honestly I'm happy with any balcony for the same price as a midship inside.

Yep, I am thrilled with having booked 8710. Thank you for the visual!