Carnival Liberty for a Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Girl

I have booked a cruise on the new Carnival Liberty for next May for a 12 day cruise to the Med. Since air, cruise and tours are so expensive in Europe, I found the price on Carnival to be quite attractive compared to RCL or Celebrity. The itinerary was also the best I have seen for a 12 day cruise. My last three cruises were on the Explorer, Radiance and the Summit. I loved all three of these ships. I have found that though I love the food and elegance on Celebrity, that for activites RCL is a better fit.

I have sailed on Carnival twice in the past on the Immagination and on the Paradise. Though I always have a good time on a cruise, I found the passangers on the Immagination to be louder and more roudy than those I have sailed with on RCL. I did not find this to be the case on the Paradise, but it was a non-smoking ship at the time, and the crowd seemed to be a little more sedate. The food was Ok with the exception of the lobster which was horrible!

I have not been on any of Carnival's newer ships, so I don't know how they compare to RCL or Celebrity. Since this is such a long cruise and is so expensive even at Carnival's prices, I want to make sure that I am not making a mistake. When I first considered booking a cruise to Europe I assumed that I would be sailing on the Brilliance, that is until I checked out the pricing.

I would love to hear from those who have sailed on Carnival, especially those who have sailed on the Conquest class. Thanks!

Joan

I am also pretty much a RCI/Celebrity gal. I recently completed a cruise on Glory, a Conquest class ship. I have to be very honest and tell you that I really did not like the cruise, the experience or the demographic on board.

It was overcrowded and I constantly felt jammed in. The pool area has a terrible design (stadium seating) and was always a mob scene. The dress code was ignored and shorts and tanks and ball caps were a common sight at dinner in the FORMAL dining room. I never in my life spent so much time in my cabin as it was the only place I was comfortable and not crushed in the mob. There are no adult only areas. And, yes, the spring break atmosphere (this was in May and not during a holiday) is still as prevalent as it was on my other 2 CCL sailings long ago.

The dining rooms have booths and the tables are close together and it feels like an upscale Denny's. Food and service were average, not attentive. There were lines every day at lunch in the Lido and I mean LINES! I have never seen anything like it.

As I post this, I will sit back and get ready to be flamed by the Carnival devotees aboard. But, you asked a specific question and I have had recent experience on both lines. I would advise you to search further.

For me, I would simply never do this again.

There are "No Guarantees" on any Ship that you will like it once you sail. It all depends on the Crew and the type of Passengers you interact with. I have been on 48 cruises so far and all Cruiselines. Some Cruises were better than others. I have sailed Carnival and have enjoyed the experience. The food was very good. I have also sailed all the Voyager Class Ships and loved them but the food could be better. Over all, I have enjoyed all My Cruises. Naturallly, there will be some things that will bug you. Nothing is perfect! So I hope since this is an expensive cruise You make the right choice and have a wonderful and memorable Cruise.

Archived