Dover to Canterbury

I'd like details on how to best take the train from the port of Dover to Canterbury. I understand there are direct (~16 mins.) and local trains (~30+ mins.).

-Are there shuttles or buses to Dover Priory or would a taxi be required?

-Should the tickets be purchased in advance online or is it easy to purchase them at the Priory Station in Dover?

-Are the 2/1 tickets available in late spring and do they require advance purchase?

-Do you have any helpful advice on making this trip or suggestions in Canterbury?

Thank you so much!

Probably needs a taxi, costs about £10 - but hopefully you'll be able to share with folk you meet on the ship or at the taxi rank.

Can't help re 2 for 1, but if you buy at the ticket office & ask for a "cheap day-return" the cost is about the same as a one-way ticket. Usually discounts can't be combined so, although I'm not certain, I doubt you'd get 2 for 1 on cheap day-returns.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Not my corner of England, so this is one of my more vague posts ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 4 weeks later...
I'd like details on how to best take the train from the port of Dover to Canterbury. I understand there are direct (~16 mins.) and local trains (~30+ mins.).

-Are there shuttles or buses to Dover Priory or would a taxi be required?

-Should the tickets be purchased in advance online or is it easy to purchase them at the Priory Station in Dover?

-Are the 2/1 tickets available in late spring and do they require advance purchase?

-Do you have any helpful advice on making this trip or suggestions in Canterbury?

Thank you so much!

In the interest of time you'll probably want to take a taxi to the train station. They were plentiful when we got off the ship. I don't recall seeing any shuttles. We purchased our tickets at the station, it was quick and easy. The city of Canterbury is quite walkable. There was an outdoor market when we were there with food stands, in case you need a snack (look for the baked goods, oh so yummy!). The Cathedral is a must-see but try to take your time, there is so much history inside. There are plenty of pubs so you can have "real" fish & chips with a half-pint of local beer. The people are quite pleasant and very helpful, in case you need directions or just want to chat. Be sure to look up at the buildings as you walk through the streets, architecture on some of the upper floors is very interesting. I think we spent about 6 hours away from the ship, including train time, and it was a delightful day! Enjoy!

Liz