Can you describe St. Martin for me?

AandBmom

I've been searching threads for days and I'm finding it over whelming. Can someone give me a description of what St. Martin is all about?

Is it mostly beaches, is there a lot to see there, is it a shopping area, is it a large or small island, etc?

I'm trying to figure out what we might do there for the day. We're a family with kids ages 3,4,8,9 and 16. We also have seniors travelling with us. What's cool for us to see/do?

I have done a bit of research on Saint Martin for our upcoming visit so I will share what I thought seemed interesting. I do not have firsthand experience yet, so others who have been there can give a first-person account:

Saint Martin is a smallish island (34 square miles) split between the countries of France and the Netherlands. Ships dock on the Dutch side of the island near the Dutch capital of Philipsburg. Travel via taxi is easy on both sides of the island and you do not need any documentation to go back and forth. French and Dutch are the respective official languages, but most people speak English as well.

Like all Caribbean islands, the beaches are a main draw. Nice beaches are on both sides of the island with Orient Beach on the French side being the most famous one. Maho Beach on the Dutch side is also famous because it is literally located at the end of the airport runway and when planes land, they are right above your head. There is also a popular beach, Great Bay, near the port and capital of Philipsburg.

Shopping is supposed to be the best in the Caribbean, but not being a shopper I am not sure why. The two main places to shop are Philipsburg, where the ship docks, and Marigot, which is the capital of the French side. Some of the non-beach activities I have seen mentioned include zip lining at Loterie Farm on the French side, the Butterfly Farm (French side), and shopping at either location.

If your group enjoys the beach however, I would think that would be top on your list. Reportedly, there are some beaches with calmer water for the younger ones. Those include Mullet Bay (Dutch side), Great Bay (Dutch side), Le Galion (French side), and Grand Case (French side). Since these are European-like beaches topless sunbathing is not uncommon although it is more prevalent on the French side than on the Dutch side. The far Southern end of Orient Beach is clothing optional.

I have done a bit of research on Saint Martin for our upcoming visit so I will share what I thought seemed interesting. I do not have firsthand experience yet, so others who have been there can give a first-person account:

Saint Martin is a smallish island (34 square miles) split between the countries of France and the Netherlands. Ships dock on the Dutch side of the island near the Dutch capital of Philipsburg. Travel via taxi is easy on both sides of the island and you do not need any documentation to go back and forth. French and Dutch are the respective official languages, but most people speak English as well.

Like all Caribbean islands, the beaches are a main draw. Nice beaches are on both sides of the island with Orient Beach on the French side being the most famous one. Maho Beach on the Dutch side is also famous because it is literally located at the end of the airport runway and when planes land, they are right above your head. There is also a popular beach, Great Bay, near the port and capital of Philipsburg.

Shopping is supposed to be the best in the Caribbean, but not being a shopper I am not sure why. The two main places to shop are Philipsburg, where the ship docks, and Marigot, which is the capital of the French side. Some of the non-beach activities I have seen mentioned include zip lining at Loterie Farm on the French side, the Butterfly Farm (French side), and shopping at either location.

If your group enjoys the beach however, I would think that would be top on your list. Reportedly, there are some beaches with calmer water for the younger ones. Those include Mullet Bay (Dutch side), Great Bay (Dutch side), Le Galion (French side), and Grand Case (French side). Since these are European-like beaches topless sunbathing is not uncommon although it is more prevalent on the French side than on the Dutch side. The far Southern end of Orient Beach is clothing optional.

Shopping is great because it's a duty free pot.

I don't swim in Great Bay because of pollution issues.

Maho beach is for a drink and the planes but not for the beach itself IMO.

Le Galion is great for kids especially.

Dining at wonderful restaurants and being able to easily and relatively safly explore the island is a big draw for many vacationers.

Dominica and St. Lucia are 2 Caribbean islands that do not have great beaches IMO.

I loved St Martin! It's one of my favorite ports now, after our recent visit.

We loved:

• The ease of getting from port to town (VERY short, scenic walk)
  • Maho beach (will definitely revisit every trip here)
  • French side (I love France and thought it offered a good "taste" of France. Be warned though, some people don't speak English and not all signs are bilingual)
  • everywhere was very nice, very clean, didn't look rundown or unsafe at all, etc.
  • the people (all SUPER nice, very helpful. There's a lot of sales offers, but when you say "no, thank you", they don't glare at you like some places, instead they'll just say "ok, have a nice day!" or "enjoy your day!") There were tons of vacationers from Europe too
  • CHEAPPPP drinks! (we're not big drinkers, we'll have maybe a drink a day on vacation, one a week on land, but don't pay over $1/beer here, for example! We also got STRONG 2-for-$6 mai-tais and other frozen mixed drinks around the $4 price, all along the beachfront in Phillipsburg.)
  • beautiful beach, right in town, literally no effort to get to
  • great bus system, tons of buses so you don't wait long and easy to use, cheap!

We don't really shop, so can't speak on that, but the goods were cheap (i.e. beach bags were around $5 that they'll charge you $15 elsewhere, etc) and same quality, the strawmarket type souvenir stands that they have everywhere were all nicely kept, etc. Can't speak to the jewelry/etc because we don't go to those, boring.

Only thing I dislike is for-pay bathrooms, but I guess I can't complain, since they're everywhere. And after finding and using a free bathroom...I'll take the paid ones!

We can't wait to go back!

Edited by skipsaur

I loved St Martin! It's one of my favorite ports now, after our recent visit.

We loved:

• The ease of getting from port to town (VERY short, scenic walk)
  • Maho beach (will definitely revisit every trip here)
  • French side (I love France and thought it offered a good "taste" of France. Be warned though, some people don't speak English and not all signs are bilingual)
  • everywhere was very nice, very clean, didn't look rundown or unsafe at all, etc.
  • the people (all SUPER nice, very helpful. There's a lot of sales offers, but when you say "no, thank you", they don't glare at you like some places, instead they'll just say "ok, have a nice day!" or "enjoy your day!") There were tons of vacationers from Europe too
  • CHEAPPPP drinks! (we're not big drinkers, we'll have maybe a drink a day on vacation, one a week on land, but don't pay over $1/beer here, for example! We also got STRONG 2-for-$6 mai-tais and other frozen mixed drinks around the $4 price, all along the beachfront in Phillipsburg.)
  • beautiful beach, right in town, literally no effort to get to
  • great bus system, tons of buses so you don't wait long and easy to use, cheap!

We don't really shop, so can't speak on that, but the goods were cheap (i.e. beach bags were around $5 that they'll charge you $15 elsewhere, etc) and same quality, the strawmarket type souvenir stands that they have everywhere were all nicely kept, etc. Can't speak to the jewelry/etc because we don't go to those, boring.

Only thing I dislike is for-pay bathrooms, but I guess I can't complain, since they're everywhere. And after finding and using a free bathroom...I'll take the paid ones!

We can't wait to go back!

Where are all of the pay toilets? Orient I am aware of. Is the port-o-potty at Mullet pay as you go ;)? Where else?

Where are all of the pay toilets? Orient I am aware of. Is the port-o-potty at Mullet pay as you go ;)? Where else?

Hmm, I remember for sure there was one that was 50 cents when we got off the bus in Marigot and were on the way to the market. Then, BF paid $1 at the fancy mall on the waterfront in Marigot. We were surprised such a ritzy place had pay-to-use bathrooms, but apparently theirs were very nice. They even had a real guard in a neat uniform. The restaurant we went to had restrooms for customers only, so that was okay.

I remember the free restroom I found was on the beach in Phillipsburg, near the police station on the boardwalk area, but it was terrible, probably due to the heavy traffic in town that day. The toilet wasn't flushing right so you had to throw your toilet paper in a trashcan (that was really disturbing) and the soap felt very watered down and there was no way to dry your hands. The hand sanitizer outside was also completely empty. Next time, I'd definitely just pay the $1 at the fancy mall!

Hmm, I remember for sure there was one that was 50 cents when we got off the bus in Marigot and were on the way to the market. Then, BF paid $1 at the fancy mall on the waterfront in Marigot. We were surprised such a ritzy place had pay-to-use bathrooms, but apparently theirs were very nice. They even had a real guard in a neat uniform. The restaurant we went to had restrooms for customers only, so that was okay.

I remember the free restroom I found was on the beach in Phillipsburg, near the police station on the boardwalk area, but it was terrible, probably due to the heavy traffic in town that day. The toilet wasn't flushing right so you had to throw your toilet paper in a trashcan (that was really disturbing) and the soap felt very watered down and there was no way to dry your hands. The hand sanitizer outside was also completely empty. Next time, I'd definitely just pay the $1 at the fancy mall!

Wow this is certainly interesting and news to me. I never liked that mall and I like it even less now!!!:D I wonder if they have tokens for customers? $1 to go to the washroom at a mall! Wow!!

Instead of going to the fancy mall to "go" head over to Serafina's and purchase a $1 croissant and use their washroom.;)