Ruby Princess 1/18-1/23 & 1/23-1/28

Host CJSKIDS

Princess came out with such an incredible deal with the January Ruby sailings that I booked the 1/23 sailing and then added the 1/18 sailing so we could do our first b2b. We haven't been on Princess is a couple of years and were excited to finally be back cruising with them.

Even though we live very close to the port, I decided to start our vacation early and booked the night prior to the cruise and stay at The Renaissance Fort Lauderdale. Walked down to Waxy O'conners and enjoyed a few of the happy hour beers. It's a fun place and obviously very popular with the locals on a Friday night. The hotel was nice and it was great to get up and drive straight across to the port. We were taking a friend on board with us for the BVE and after having coffee at the hotel we drove over to check in. Boarded at Terminal 21 though we knew we would be coming back to Terminal 2.

My husband has worked hard for the past year and did not take a true vacation. I finally convinced him that he needed some real time off so our plan was to relax, set no alarm clocks and just go with the flow.

Check in was easy and before we knew it we were on board the Ruby Princess. I did bring 4 bottles of wine with us and at the check in desk I told him that we were on a b2b. They wrote that down and let us take all the bottles with us. Went upstairs to the Sanctuary to grab seats for the week and were 2nd in line behind two elite passengers. Who knew that these two sisters from Seattle would be someone that I would have so much fun with throughout the cruise! We were successful in getting our seats and actually were able to get our two favorite seats that we had on various Crown sailings.

After dropping our things off in the cabin we enjoyed lunch in the Main dining room. Husband's fish was great, I chose the beef even though everyone has been giving it poor reviews. Should have listened as it was over cooked and awful!

Spent the afternoon exploring the ship, exploring the bars and salad and pizza for dinner. As always, I really like the pizza on Princess.

First day at sea was spent relaxing in the Sanctuary followed by dinner in the Crown Grill. We did head to the Platinum/Elite party and boy was it crowded! Enjoyed a cocktail. This would be the only time this cruise we would make it up here. At 6 we went off to the Crown Grill. We sat the cooking bar and really enjoyed this. Booked it again for 2 nights later. it was a wonderful day, followed by a wonderful dinner and fun at Crooners. I'm always a huge fan of Crooners and find the best bartenders here. Needless to say, it was my favorite again. Oleana is a true gem and always had a smile. Jeff was also great. We spent lots of time here and enjoyed too many original chocolate martinis over the 9 nights.

2nd day found us in Cozumel. We went to breakfast in the main dining room and ended up talking to the couple next to us. The 4 of us decided to share a cab into town and spent time walking the streets. Steve and I enjoyed some guacamole and a margarita at Pancho's Backyard. Boy are those strong! I didn't even finish it. Walked around for another hour or so exploring town again and then stopped at Casa Denis. Manuel took care of us here and we enjoyed an appetizer and Sol beer. Wonderful place and I would go back in a heart beat.

Went back to the ship and enjoyed the Sanctuary in the afternoon.

We decided to do dinner at Sabatinis. It was okay. Great service but it honestly was just okay. After last night's dinner at Crown Grill it was a let down I guess.

3rd day was Grand Cayman. Slept in and had coffee on the balcony. We were going to go the beach but decided to simply walk in town for a bit. Found the same lady that we bought hot sauce from a few years ago, she is in a tent down the street a bit. Bought a few bottles of hot sauce of some jerk sauce and went Breezes to have a local Caybrew. Enjoyed chatting with the bartender who was there working from Australia. Always interesting to hear about life on the islands. Dinner that night was a salad from the buffet and pizza.

4th day was a day at sea and we once again enjoyed the Sanctuary for the day. Today was the pub lunch which we always enjoy. We both enjoyed a cold pint of Stella and I had the Bangers and mash while Steve had the fish and chips. Tonight was another dinner at the Crown Grill at the cooking bar and we once again enjoyed ourselves. Miguel made sure to take great care of us.

We did do trivia for the 70's and joined up with Marsh and Larry. We managed to win and got flashlights. Don't remember what night this was on.

Turn around day. We enjoyed breakfast in the main dining room. This would be our 2nd time having breakfast here and our last. I do love the french toast that they have on the last day. Imagine our surprise when they called the cabin to see if we were ready to move as we were staying in the same cabin! For some reason they had some issues. They had my husband moving to another deck and had him meeting at the Wheelhouse at 11 am and me staying in our cabin and meeting in the dining room at 10:30 am. Quick trip the desk straightened this out. We did not do much in the morning as we knew we had to meet at 10:30 to disembark. This procedure we quick and easy. We were off before we knew, showed our passport and in transit ticket and sat for only a few minutes before we went back on.

Came back on and paid for our seats in the Sanctuary as we were keeping them and went back downstairs.

Decided to sit at Crooners and have a bloody mary while waiting for our friend to board. It was fun to be on board with so few people and watch everyone come on board.

Friends arrives and after they enjoyed a cocktail we went to the main dining room for lunch. I got the veggie burger which he tried talking me out of. It was strange. Almost like mashed potatoes mixed with veggies and it certainly couldn't be eaten on the burger bun as it squished out the sides. The taste was fine so I did eat about half of it.

The day was spent exploring, enjoying the ship and having pizza for dinner.

Sea day came next and we spent the day in the Sanctuary. Forgot to mention that Iketut took care of us up here and he was just fabulous. Always smiling, always so friendly and always made sure that we were so well taken care of. The whole staff up here did. I love that they serve tea in the afternoons up here. That wasn't something they did a few years ago and it's such a nice treat. Dinner tonight was at the Crown Grill with our friends and Miguel took care of us again though we were at a table this time around. Dinner was wonderful. We had a fun night.

Next day was Cozumel again and this time around we had decided to go to the beach. We have been to Mr. Sanchos many times and Nachi Cocom but decided to go to Paradise Beach. Got there nice and early and got seats up front. This beach experience was simply fantastic and I will go back next time we are in this port. It is clean beyond belief and the service was wonderful. Had a nice walk down the beach with my girlfriend and really relaxed. Made it back on board and sat in the sanctuary for a bit.

Our cruise took a bit of bad turn this evening as we got a terrible phone call when we got back to the cabin. It was strange to have the head of the division call my husband on a Saturday so we quickly called back. Our good friend of many years (works with my husband as well) was just airlifted to the hospital. He was lighting his grill and it exploded setting him on fire. He was in ICU and there was no more news at that point. It was a very long night awaiting news. I finally heard from his wife to find out that they had him heavily sedated and he had severe 2nd degree burns on his legs, arm and had also burned his face.

Needless to say, it was a very quiet night for us.

Before I go on to the last day, i will let everyone know that Richard is doing well. When he caught fire he jumped into his pool which I guess is not a good thing to do. It's something we all know now. They did skin grafts on his legs. His arm will be fine and his face only had minor burns. He lost an eyebrow and all eyelashes but he will recover. Tomorrow he is back in the OR to see how the legs are doing. He will have to learn how to walk again and it will be long recovery but the human spirit is amazing to watch. We spent Tuesday in the hospital with him and he managed to make jokes about us being covered head to toe with gowns and masks. Even with all that had happened to him, he still had a sense of humor! I thank everyone on board who said prayers for him.

Back to the review, our last day of the cruise was a day at sea. We spent this day enjoying the Sanctuary. Pub lunch once again and thanking everyone who had taken care of us throughout the sailing. A 4th and final dinner to celebrate our friends 35th anniversary (which was actually on this day) was had at the Crown Grill and the 4 of us sat at the serving bar. Miguel did not take care of us tonight and the guy who did was just okay. He seemed a bit under the weeds and dinner took a long time. Watched the Marriage game, said good-bye to our friends and goodbye to our new friends and crew members and turned in for the night.

Got up and immediately walked off the ship as we were anxious to get to Miami to see our friend. They only a 2 people working immigration so it took awhile. Once off we knew we searched for the shuttle to take us back to terminal 21 where we boarded. Well, Princess forgot that people needed to go back there and had not arranged for shuttles. After a bit they decided to just book a taxi for us and another couple and get us back to our cars.

It was a wonderful cruise and I really look forward to our next cruise. The crew on Princess is always wonderful and we met so many wonderful crew members once again. We also always meet such wonderful people on board and this time was no exception.

It's the first time that we ever had anything but a mini-suite or full suite and had Cabin C607, a balcony. The cabin was just fine though i do hate the shower curtain. I now know what everyone talks about when they discuss the shower curtain! The balcony had a lot of rust and the seats were in horrible shape. One was badly ripped and could not be used and they couldn't replace it until the 2nd sailing. Our cabin steward was okay. It's not that he was bad, he just didn't seem like he liked his job. We have had some extraordinary stewards throughout the years so it's tough to measure up I guess. The carpet still had stuff on it when we came on board and the room never seemed exactly clean. The sheets the first time around had a few rips and stains on them but he did change them the day before the 2nd sailing.

Never ate dinner in the main dining room so can't comment on those. My 2 lunches were just okay in there but breakfast was nice. The Crown Grill was always wonderful.

A huge highlight for me was meeting Pia and she couldn't have been sweeter. I have always loved following her live from threads and they will be even more fun now that I've had the chance to meet her in person. Now if only I could meet Pam!!!

I know this has been long and winded. For those who have meet me, you all know that I talk way too much!! Sorry about that!

Princess is still my choice of cruise line and I can't wait to use my credits from this sailing in the Fall. The crew members are just the best!

I forgot to post that I was disappointed in Princess' choices for MUTS. Most of the time they were playing concerts from the 1980's. Really?!! I could see this maybe in the day time, but hey.... isn't it called Movies under the Stars? What happened to the movies? LOL

A huge highlight for me was meeting Pia and she couldn't have been sweeter. I have always loved following her live from threads and they will be even more fun now that I've had the chance to meet her in person. Now if only I could meet Pam!!!
Thanks for the review! It pretty much echoed my 4-day cruise on the Sapphire last week. No Pia on our cruise but we did have Astro_Flyer (Frank) and IECalCruiser (Brian), both of whom I respect and enjoyed seeing again. Pia's a hoot, isn't she? I've had a lot of fun with her. Never say never! Hope to meet you some day, too. :)

The Sanctuary is an adults-only area with big, soft luxury loungers with attendants to bring you drinks, food, blankets if it's chilly, iced towels if it's hot. Not for everyone but for me, it's a special experience that enhances my cruise. Extra charge, it's $10/pp for a half-day, $20/pp for a full day, $15/pp/day if you book for the whole cruise. You select "your" lounger and it's yours to come and go as you please. On our Sapphire cruise, we spent most of every day using our loungers.

thank you for your review. Its sounds like you had a wonderful time. Happy to hear your friend will recover and hope his recovery is quick and with as little pain as possible. Thanks again...my dh and I hope to do our first b2b next year!

Edited by nurse@sea

Thanks for the review. We are going on our first Princess cruise on Feb. 24 on the Ruby so I was excited to read all your comments about the ship. We can't wait. Can you tell me a little about the demographics. Were the a lot of seniors (we are seniors) or families with children? (love kids miss my grandchildren)

Hope your friend recovers quickly.

Minnie

!

Thanks for the review! It pretty much echoed my 4-day cruise on the Sapphire last week. No Pia on our cruise but we did have Astro_Flyer (Frank) and IECalCruiser (Brian), both of whom I respect and enjoyed seeing again. Pia's a hoot, isn't she? I've had a lot of fun with her. Never say never! Hope to meet you some day, too. :)

OMG! I love you both too. :o

Carolyn, it took me lots of years to meet Pam too. You might have to go to California for that initial meeting. I did. :D

Thanks for the review. We are going on our first Princess cruise on Feb. 24 on the Ruby so I was excited to read all your comments about the ship. We can't wait. Can you tell me a little about the demographics. Were the a lot of seniors (we are seniors) or families with children? (love kids miss my grandchildren)

Hope your friend recovers quickly.

Minnie

We were on the same two cruises. There were a few children on board, mostly pre-school sge, and some younger couples. We had been concerned that it might have too much of a party atmosphere for our taste, being short cruises, but we need not have worried. I would think about 60% of the passengers were of retirement age, so we fitted right in.

We did not visit any special restaurants, but we enjoyed the Ultimate Balcony Dinner one evening and would highly recommend it.

Sheila