First Time Disney Cruiser

jwalk03

Just looking for any pointers, tip, can't miss things on the Disney Dream. I am 28, I'll be traveling with my 30 year old fiancée, and our 20 month old daughter. This will be our 4th cruise, the first with our daughter, and also our first Non Carnival cruise. What's different than I need to know compared to Carnival? And any pointers on traveling with a 20 month old? Suggestions for excursions in Nassau? All help and comments are appreciated!

The atmosphere between Carnival and DCL is very different, especially if you compare to the short Carnival cruises. DCL is largely about family; Carnival is largely about becoming intoxicated. Yes, flame away. Sure, some drink to excess on DCL, but it is rare.

Nassau is Nassau. Not my favorite place in the world. I'd stay on the ship and enjoy it. People will reach out and try to touch your baby, want to braid her hair, etc.

As to cruising with toddler/infant...your stateroom host will put up and take down the Pack and Play per you instructions. Want it up all the time? Fine. They will remove the coffee table to make more room in the cabin if you wish. They will put a diaper genie in your room and empty it twice a day. Honestly, they make life easy. Get a balcony so you can hang out on it while the baby naps. This is the one situation where I feel a balcony is almost essential. Dining room will do whatever you want for food--puree stuff, make it without seasoning, whatever you ask for.

Just looking for any pointers, tip, can't miss things on the Disney Dream. I am 28, I'll be traveling with my 30 year old fiancée, and our 20 month old daughter. This will be our 4th cruise, the first with our daughter, and also our first Non Carnival cruise. What's different than I need to know compared to Carnival? And any pointers on traveling with a 20 month old? Suggestions for excursions in Nassau? All help and comments are appreciated!

Welcome to Disney cruising!

I think it's difficult to compare most cruise lines as they all seem to have their own niche of cruisers (I have a friend who won't sail on RCI over Carnival due to RCI's lack of karaoke). What some people deem important, others would see as a non-issue.

Maybe instead of comparing the two cruise lines, it would be better for people to respond what they like about DCL! And also maybe give you advice on things that could stand some improvement. ;)

By my signature line, you can see I am a lover of all things Disney cruising. And while I have been on only one Carnival cruise, I have had the opportunity to tour several of their ships over the years.

First things first...food. DCL pales in comparison to Carnival when it comes to food. I have to admit my favorite part of Carnival is their food. Simple as that. But if you have ever heard the horror stories of RCI's food, fear not...DCL is not that bad! :D Go in knowing the dining will be run-of-the-mill dining and nothing out of this world spectacular (except for Royal Palace's Grand Marnier Souffle, which is indeed out of this world), and you should leave full and happy.

My favorite things on the Disney Dream are the Aqua Duck, the Midship Detective Agency, and of course the evening shows. Of those evening shows, my least favorite is Villains. If you need to miss a show for any reason, skip that one. Enough said.

Oh, and room service - order Mickey Bars! They are not on the menu, but they are available...just ask!

Oh yes, and I do love that sodas are included in your cruise fare (as long as you get them from the drink station on Deck 11 or in the dining rooms). And that you can carry-on as much alcohol (and any type of alcohol) that you can. Key word...carry-on. :p

Do you plan on introducing your daughter to the nursery to get a little adult time alone? If so, visit Cove Cafe next to the adults only pool. They have wonderful treats there, which have no charge. Most people do not realize this, thinking you have to purchase a specialty coffee in order to enjoy the pastries and goodies. Not so! Also, Pink (located in the adult entertainment district) makes some excellent champagne cocktails.

If you get a little alone time, the Buena Vista Theatre is a nice spot to catch a movie. Most current Disney releases are showing there.

Will you be heading into Nassau with your daughter? If so, I'm not much help with that one since we have always enjoyed the snorkeling there, or walking over to Fort Fincastle and Queen's Staircase on our own.

Any specific areas of entertainment you are looking for?

(And just as an FYI, I do not believe Carnival is full of drunken cruisers as mentioned here. Yes, they have a more lively atmosphere, but honestly all cruise lines can find folks that get a bit out of hand on them...Disney included. Granted DCL has more families and it won't be as likely. Carnival just caters to a younger crowd. Nothing wrong with that. Not my cup of tea, but everyone seems to be enjoying themselves on their ships.)

.... What's different ....

All the ships crew have this annoying habit of, aggressive hospitality. :)

ETA; Another thing, no lines at any bars, IME, lol. Drinks within 4 minutes. :D

Perhaps because you can carry on all the alcohol you want. :eek:

Enjoy

Edited by bear3412

We do plan to take our daughter with us to Nassau. Amazingly in 3 previous cruises we have never been to Nassau. So even though it seems to not be a favorite port of most people, I still want to experience it for myself. I was considering going to Atlantis, but I'm just not sure if its worth the cost...

All of out previous cruises have been Carnival, and I have never found it to be over the top craziness. Though we are young, so I guess that is kind of our style to some exstent. This one will be different though since our daughter is joining us.

Are you allowed to carry alcohol back on from ports as well?

I did splurge and get the balcony this time. This will also be our first balcony! Hopefully we dont become addicted!!

I think we probobly will try the nursery one night. Our daughter goes to daycare 2 days per week at home, so I think she will do well with it. Can anyone tell me more about it? Also I thought I read somewhere that they had like an open house time in the kids clubs where parent scould go there and play with their children? I would really like to do that.

Edited by jwalk03

You can bring alcohol back from the ports but you must carry it yourself. DCL will not accept deliveries from vendors. You can also bring it on in Port Canaveral.

The Oceaneer's Club has open house hours when parents can go in with their children of all ages to play and participate in activities. Check the Navigator for the specific times. This is also the time when people who just want to see the space can go in.

Atlantis is expensive. If you want a beach day, Cable and Cabbage beaches are a 5 minute cab ride (15-20 minute walk, but you'd be carrying all you stuff). The beaches are free and there are plenty of vendors to rent you whatever you want/need (chairs, umbrella, food, etc). If you want to walk around the straw market, it is an easy walk on and off the ship. There are also a few historical/cultural things you could choose to do on the island.

Nursery--$8 per hour. You can book up to 10 hours in advance at the time you do your on line check in or after. They are really good about letting you change times if you wish after boarding--they know that babies don't always function on schedule. Kids under 3 or not toilet trained can play or sleep in the nursery. The staff is great.

I don't think that Atlantis is worth it for your 20 month old. All the water slides have 48" height restrictions so you'll just be in the lazy river or sitting at the beach. I thought the dolphin interaction was superior at Discovery Cove in Florida.

However, you won't have to worry about some of the interesting beach characters you will see at a public beach! The beach vendors are pretty aggressive on the public beaches, but if you can handle it, it would be significantly cheaper. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation with a 20 month old, but you'll have to decide for yourself. We did this off a Carnival cruise line 2 years ago, and it wasn't worth the effort.

We do plan to take our daughter with us to Nassau. Amazingly in 3 previous cruises we have never been to Nassau. So even though it seems to not be a favorite port of most people, I still want to experience it for myself. I was considering going to Atlantis, but I'm just not sure if its worth the cost...

All of out previous cruises have been Carnival, and I have never found it to be over the top craziness. Though we are young, so I guess that is kind of our style to some exstent. This one will be different though since our daughter is joining us.

Are you allowed to carry alcohol back on from ports as well?

I did splurge and get the balcony this time. This will also be our first balcony! Hopefully we dont become addicted!!

I think we probobly will try the nursery one night. Our daughter goes to daycare 2 days per week at home, so I think she will do well with it. Can anyone tell me more about it? Also I thought I read somewhere that they had like an open house time in the kids clubs where parent scould go there and play with their children? I would really like to do that.

With your daughter's age at the time of your cruise, I don't feel the Atlantis will be worth it. The majority of the slides and attractions will not be available to her. I would stick with something that has more of an appeal to the adults, but that you can bring your daughter with; something along the lines of a glass bottom boat tour, or a city tour of Nassau that includes the fort and staircase. Maybe even a beach day, as long as you are ok with your daughter being in the sun on the beach, or if you are ok with renting an umbrella for her coverage.

Yes, you are allowed to bring alcohol back on the ship from the ports. Another DCL perk/plus!

We are addicted to balconies, but really have no problem going back to inside staterooms too. The balcony is nice, but not a necessity for us!

Unfortunately I do not know about the nursery from experience, but have heard wonderful reports. As for the kids clubs open house, yes, watch for the open house hours in your Navigator (daily list of activities). There is always an open house going on during embarkation times, which is a good time to visit. I don't think that pertains to the nursery, but it will give you an idea of the kids clubs for future cruises. And certainly would be fun to see with your daughter in tow!