Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace... ???

Vacationer80

Hi all, I'm new to Cruise Critic so please forgive any posting errors. My hubby and I just booked the Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace excursion in Belize. I was apprehensive at the time of booking but then we did it anyway. Now, after reading a few new things about Belize and the tour, I'm more than a little worried about the bug situation. Mosquitoes tend to feast on me wherever we go, no matter how much bug repellent (with Deet) I cover myself in. We were not planning on taking the pills for Malaria before travelling as we know it can make us quite ill plus we are in the process of "family-planning". ;) Anyone out there able to ease my mind on this? I figure I'll have to wear a hat, long pants and maybe long sleeves but it's Belize, I'm assuming it's going to be hot as he*l. Suggestions and advice greatly appreciated!

We take Natrapel Plus insect repellent when we head into the jungles. My wife attracts skeeters likes she is a walking buffet. This product last 4hrs and does not contain DEET which is not human friendly. She wears 3/4 length pants and a short sleeve Columbia shirt; I'm always in shorts and a Columbia shirt. Never any problems. I believe I got the stuff from Campmor but you can find it at other online retailers. Malaria pills aren't needed. Enjoy your trip as we will be back again in Nov. The last time we went to Lamanai which had a 26mile boat ride into the jungle to the ruins.

I was at altun ha in October and didn't see a single mosquito. They sell insect repellent at the site but it's expensive. I had a bottle and it was passed among those on our tour who didn't have any with them. (We went by bus. Not sure what the river trip will be like for you.)

My DH is a mosquito magnet. He gets them when no one around does. We used Avon skin so soft prior to leaving boat, used Cutter wipes before getting off bus and had the little clip on battery operated thingys that worked well. Saw a couple of people swatting, but not much.

On the boat we sprayed extra deep woods off. Our guide showed us mosquito bats on the trees along the River that eat mosquitoes. He said that keeps them down.

I would not let it prevent you from going. Just use several things as precautions.