pics of Golden Eagle catamaran?

We'll be in St. Maarten on Oct. 26th on the Caribbean Princess and will probably book the Golden Eagle excursion through Princess. Does anybody have some pictures posted anywhere of the GE? I've seen a couple here and there. I read somewhere that it does have restrooms, so you can change out of a swimsuit at the end? Is that correct? And, provided the water isn't too rough, they sail right up basically to the shallow water on Tintamar Island and you just basically walk off the little sidewalk deal, right? (Boy, can you tell I'm a landlubber!!) In other words, I'm hoping that I won't have to jump off the side of the catamaran into deep water as that would not be a very graceful exhibition there! :p Anybody have some specific details like that? Thanks.

Kellie in Texas

• 2 weeks later...

They do have restrooms but they are marine bathrooms and not really lare enough to change in.

They do have a ramp that lowers into the water and the water is about chest high.

Don't forget to get mudbath from Christian (depending on which one you get on, they are two).

If you want to get wet then sit up front on the net, if not sit in the cabin or in the back.

Get lunch early or they may run out.

They will bring the drinks around to you in the water while you are wadding.

Take your turn pulling up the sail

Hi Kellie,

My husband and I were on the Golden Eagle a couple years back whilst on Celebrity's Millenium. We had a wonderful time for our first time on a catamaran and it was indeed the best excursion of our ten days.

But just so you know and to reiterate a previous post. The water as you exit the catamaran is NOT as shallow as either you perceive or are told. It is indeed about to your shoulders so holding anything out of the water for fear of it getting wet is something to think about. We were all told the water was about 3 feet deep and as we decended the stairs into the water we quickly realized that the water was much deeper. That wasnt necessarily a problem if you were just swimming to Tintamarre. We stupidly thought wed bring our digital with us (partly so not to leave it unattended on the cat).

In efforts to prevent our digital camera from going for a swim, my new husband contorted himself going into the water, pulled a muscle and shouted a few expletives. In the end.....we lost the camera as it became waterlogged.....the only good thing is that St. Maarten was only our first stop and we lost only 2 days worth of pictures.

I realize carrying a camera was perhaps not the best idea...but we took the 'level of water" to be accurate.

But it was a great excursion and i spent a lot of time after the cruise singing its praises.

One note...if it is a rough day on the water...the captain will refund anyones money if they have sensitive stomachs before they step on the catamaran. Our day....there were many...heaving over the side....so much so that they had to prevent people from vomitting in the bathroom and sent them to do it over the side. Tintamarre is just far enough away that if you are seasick...it can feel like an eternity to get there. Not to scare you, simply to prepare you.

If i did it again.....id stick a seasickness patch on for sure.

JoAnn

Thanks, Gtaylor, for the link to the pics (I had found those too) and thanks Milt and Kathy, and JoAnn for your info too. I think we'll probably leave our digital on the ship and just take a disposable (i.e. cheap!) camera with us on this excursion.

Great Photos! What kind of camera do you use?? I'm looking for a digital and can't decide.

Those aren't my photos -- they're from their website.

Most of the pictures in my PhotoBucket were taken with my Fuji FinePix 3800. Look for some pictures from my new Nikon Coolpix 8800 after our September/October visit.

gary

Archived