Turtle farm this year?

minerva78

I am curious to know if anyone has been to the Turtle Farm this year and purchased their tickets directly through the Turtle Farm site. I know previously the tickets included transportation for cruise ship passengers, but each time I've checked over the past month, it said that transportation was NOT included. I could have sworn when I had previously looked in December it listed times for the shuttles, but I can't find it now. Has anyone been to the Turtle Farm this year who can confirm whether or not you still have access to a shuttle when you book your tickets online? If not, how much would a taxi for 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) be to the Turtle Farm? I've got to decide if it's cheaper to do on our own or through the cruise ship.

So does anyone know how much a taxi from the port to the turtle farm would be for four people? :confused: Taxis sound expensive in Grand Cayman, and the cruise ship excursion is just $12 per person more than the discounted rate through the turtle farm website, so I wonder if it will be cheaper and less hassle to go through the ship.

Have you looked at taking the public bus?

We probably would if it were just my DH and I, but since we'll have our 5 and 6 year old girls with us, I'd rather not take the bus. I e-mailed the Turtle Farm about this over a week ago, and I never got a response. All I could find out on the site was that it would cost $20 one way for a taxi for up to 3 people, but we'll have 4 with us. But considering the Carnival excursion was $48 more total than the cost of the discounted tickets bought online, and it looked like I'd probably end up having to pay more for that in transportation, I just booked the excursion through Carnival. It was the one time I couldn't see a big price advantage of doing the excursion on our own.

My family and I were on Independence of the Seas last week and visited the Grand Cayman Turtle Farm

When we got off the ship, we went to the tour area and asked about the free shuttle. The Turtle Farm employee asked me when and where I purchased my tickets. When I told him they were purchased in September via the Internet, he directed me to a supervisor. I spoke with the supervisor who said that they are no longer providing shuttles but since I purchased our tickets at a time when they were offering them, they would get us to and from the turtle farm free of charge. The only requirement was that we needed to tell them when we wanted to be picked up and that the pickup time would be firm. If we weren't at the pickup spot at the designed time we would need to arrange our own transportation back. I felt this was a reasonable request.

One of the Turtle Farm employees drove the four of us there and back in a nice SUV.

Overall, we were very happy with the trip and the way they handled the situation. So, if you have tickets you purchased in the past you will most likely still be able to get free transportation. If you are buying your tickets today, you'll be on your own for transport...

-Nels

• 2 weeks later...

The #1 local minivan bus will get you there for $2.50 US.

Just discovered 2 discounts to the Turtle Farm.

1. The Turtle Farm offers a 20% discount when tickets are bought in advance.

2. Explore Cayman says you can get a discount of 10% at the Turtle Farm if you walk up to the ticket booth and mention "EXPLORE". This not-so-secret word will also get you 10% off at the Schooner's Bar & Grill and Splash Gift Shop.