Queen Mary 2 12th November 2014 Southampton to New York

Dorothy's Friend

I have just booked this Queen Mary 2 TA from Southampton to New York with friends Neil and Rob & John. After the crossing we have 3 nights in the New Yorker before flying back to the UK.:)

It will be interesting to see if any other guys will be joining us on this crossing.

This will be the first time on the Queen Mary 2 for all of us, although I worked on the QE2 many years ago. If anyone has any useful experiences to share regarding the Queen Mary 2 then it would be much appreciated. We know it is going to be much different experience from what we have had with NCL, RCCL, MSC and Celebrity.;)

• 1 month later...

Hi, Queen Mary 2 is fabulous. We are thinking of going to New York on her so tried her out by going on a mini Cruise in November to Northern European ports. She is a fantastic ship. We have been on the Queen Victoria so we do have a comparison. The quality, service and ambience is very impressive and we will be booking our New York trip most definitely.

We also own a Guest House (Twin Oaks Guest House Cadnam) on the outskirts of Southampton and we provide a Cruise Service where Cruisers stay over the night before their cruise, park and get transferred. On their return they are always invited back after the Cruise for coffee before they get on their way home and we hear all the goods and bads about all the ships. We have never heard a bad word about QM2.

Happy Cruising!!:)

Hi, Queen Mary 2 is fabulous. We are thinking of going to New York on her so tried her out by going on a mini Cruise in November to Northern European ports. She is a fantastic ship. We have been on the Queen Victoria so we do have a comparison. The quality, service and ambience is very impressive and we will be booking our New York trip most definitely.

We also own a Guest House (Twin Oaks Guest House Cadnam) on the outskirts of Southampton and we provide a Cruise Service where Cruisers stay over the night before their cruise, park and get transferred. On their return they are always invited back after the Cruise for coffee before they get on their way home and we hear all the goods and bads about all the ships. We have never heard a bad word about QM2.

Happy Cruising!!:)

Thanks Popcorn for posting on this thread. And thanks for all positive feedback on the Queen Mary 2. I used to work on the QE2 but many years ago so it will be interesting to see how standards compare. Here is a coincidence, I have a tiny second home (my parents' old home) not far from you in Woodlands close to Bartley. I am not there very often but isn't it a lovely area to live??!!!

So is there any chance of you joining us on this Queen Mary 2 Atlantic crossing?? We got a fantastic deal through Cherry Davies at Cruise.:)

• 4 months later...

I am very surprised that nobody has joined us on this thread as I cannot believe that we will be the only LGBT passengers for this crossing. Maybe the sort of passenger that the QM2 attracts does not get involved with Cruise Critic threads or does not like to get to know other LGBT travelers.:( Or could it be that they do not know how to use the internet ;)?

Roll up! Roll up! We are a friendly bunch

I believe that there are some other family members that have posted on the roll call for this crossing. It won't be that much longer till our ship leaves Southampton. I don't know when final payment is due in England, but in the States it's due this week. I've taken care of it too. My final payment is already roosting on my credit card, and it is large enough to keep other payments with that card away! What have I done?

I believe that there are some other family members that have posted on the roll call for this crossing. It won't be that much longer till our ship leaves Southampton. I don't know when final payment is due in England, but in the States it's due this week. I've taken care of it too. My final payment is already roosting on my credit card, and it is large enough to keep other payments with that card away! What have I done?

Nice to have you join my little thread, you are right it is not so long until we set sail down Southampton Water. Our final payment was made some time back 😟

Kevin

Hello,

My partner and I were going to do this crossing but then work got in the way and so we have had to take another cruise.

We have done the QM2 crossing before and it is truly a lovely experience. She handles the water beautifully:)

Don't worry too much about the lack of postings here for the crossing. They have a Friends of Dorothy meeting listed on the daily bulletin that will allow you to meet other travellers. As I recall they usually meet early evening in the Commodore Club on deck 9.

So wish we were joining you.

RD

Hello,

My partner and I were going to do this crossing but then work got in the way and so we have had to take another cruise.

We have done the QM2 crossing before and it is truly a lovely experience. She handles the water beautifully:)

Don't worry too much about the lack of postings here for the crossing. They have a Friends of Dorothy meeting listed on the daily bulletin that will allow you to meet other travellers. As I recall they usually meet early evening in the Commodore Club on deck 9.

So wish we were joining you.

RD

Thanks for the info, what a pity you are unable to join us on this crossing:(

FOD is at 1700 in the Commodore Club. The past year the staff has been setting up the area in the raised platform on the starboard side for the gathering. It generally lasts about an hour, but if you want to stay longer do make sure that your attire is following the requested dress of that evening.

FOD is at 1700 in the Commodore Club. The past year the staff has been setting up the area in the raised platform on the starboard side for the gathering. It generally lasts about an hour, but if you want to stay longer do make sure that your attire is following the requested dress of that evening.

Thanks for posting the above. I was about to ask with the LGBT/FOD get together being so early in the day what the expected attire was. :confused:

The requested attire begins at 1800. You will see most folks at FOD which begins at 1700 in jeans and other casual attire. It's no problem if you plan to leave at 1800, but I and others have been asked to leave the lounge after our drinks were finished to put on appropriate dress and rightly so. There is no secret that Cunard does expect its passengers to be a bit more dressy during the evening.

At least in America the current difference between the nine day Hamburg, Southampton to NYC crossing and the seven day Soton to NYC crossing for the least expensive inside room is just $1.00. Unfortunately, for the room that my partner and I are in it is considerably more.

Hey, gents! My husband and I will be onboard! We booked way, way back in December 2013, so we're very much looking forward to another crossing. Spending a few days in Berlin first, followed by an overnight in London before we take the train down to Southampton the day of embarkation. Looking forward to meeting everyone at one of the FOD/LGBT events. These crossings tend to attract a pretty good gay crowd in my experience, so I am positive we'll be in great company!

Hey guys, we'll be on board with you! We spent a few days in Berlin before our QM2 crossing from Hamburg last year. We enjoyed being back there, but with luck, you won't be staying at the Ritz-Carlton...we were not happy campers (and they knew it!). We will be spending the week before this crossing at Chewton Glen, a big favorite of ours. Enjoy your time across the pond...we'll see you in the Commodore.

Doug & Darby

Hey guys, we'll be on board with you! We spent a few days in Berlin before our QM2 crossing from Hamburg last year. We enjoyed being back there, but with luck, you won't be staying at the Ritz-Carlton...we were not happy campers (and they knew it!). We will be spending the week before this crossing at Chewton Glen, a big favorite of ours. Enjoy your time across the pond...we'll see you in the Commodore.

Doug & Darby

Welcome to this thread guys. From what I am seeing there should be a good gang of us in the Commodore :)

Hey, gents! My husband and I will be onboard! We booked way, way back in December 2013, so we're very much looking forward to another crossing. Spending a few days in Berlin first, followed by an overnight in London before we take the train down to Southampton the day of embarkation. Looking forward to meeting everyone at one of the FOD/LGBT events. These crossings tend to attract a pretty good gay crowd in my experience, so I am positive we'll be in great company!

Welcome! 17:00hrs in the Commodore seem to be getting better and better.:);)

We spent a few days in Berlin before our QM2 crossing from Hamburg last year. We enjoyed being back there, but with luck, you won't be staying at the Ritz-Carlton...we were not happy campers (and they knew it!).

We're staying at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. We're addicted to Sofitel...nothing but positive experiences over the years :-)

I just checked Cunard's sales engine today and there has been a huge drop of over $1,000. per person for Grill rooms during the past twenty four hours. And now the fares include gratuities and an onboard credit. The fares and perks for booking are approximately now what they were when I booked last February.

• 1 month later...

and Doug - it was only a year ago - and such a smooth crossing

Frank - 2010 eastbound - remind me to tell you about the westbound

and Gary - that crossing to remember - Friday Nov 13, 2009 when the bow windows in the Commodore Club were covered with water!

Looking foreword to seeing you all again and meeting new friends - I'm sure there are a lots who just don't get around to posting here - took me a while!

Crane and Ron

Hmmmm. Not a good sign that nobody has posted on here.:(

Apologies Dorothy's Friend for not saying Hi before posting - you are going to love QM2 - a real ship! And I'm sure there are going to be lots more in the Commodorothy Club than are showing up here! Three years ago we did a Thanksgiving WB and there were probably over 100 in attendance! Don;t think there will be that many this time but you never know

Looking forward to meeting you and you traveling companions

Crane (and Ron)

and Doug - it was only a year ago - and such a smooth crossing

Frank - 2010 eastbound - remind me to tell you about the westbound

and Gary - that crossing to remember - Friday Nov 13, 2009 when the bow windows in the Commodore Club were covered with water!

Looking foreword to seeing you all again and meeting new friends - I'm sure there are a lots who just don't get around to posting here - took me a while!

Crane and Ron

We're looking forward to seeing the two of you again and are counting down the days until we're back on board. We remember that Thanksgiving crossing in 2009, too! There were quite a few people who stayed in their suites for a few days but not us...we enjoyed every minute of it. Victor, our butler, met us as we came out of our room one morning and noticed how much we were enjoying the wild weather. He told us, "you two are my only sailors!" We're hoping for (at least) a little rockin' and rollin' on this trip but in any case, we'll see you in the Commodore! Doug & Darby

Edited by FloatSome & JetSome