I am considering booking a porthole cabin

cruzin2010

Hmmm....So I have a question to the porthole fans...I started to book one for our upcoming Sunshine repo cruise in April, but, ended up booking an interior because I was under the impression most porthole cabins only have twin beds that don't convert or a twin bed and upper bunk.

Do some portholes have "traditional" bed arrangements..like 2 twins that convert to a king or the like?

Every porthole cabin I've booked 2 on the fascination and two on the Paradise were all twins that converted to a king.

. . . sitting in the shelf and looking out the porthole

This is what I LOVED about our porthole cabin (it was an upgrade). On the Fantasy, there is a deep window seat at the porthole level. I would take a couple of pillows and build myself a lovely nest. There is a light in there and a curtain you can pull to separate yourself from the rest of the cabin. Ahh, the luxury of it! Perfect place to read and watch the ocean.

That's got to be nicer than a picture window, surely!

Kathy

There are two different cabin categories that have portholes. There is a 1A Interior Upper/Lower and PT Category. 1A will have one bed and a couch. The couch usually is converted to a bed, but depending on the ship, there may be a pull down bed above the single bed leaving the couch as a couch. Because of the single bed and couch set up, there is a lot of walking room. A true porthole cabin, PT, looks like an ocean view cabin with two beds that can be pushed together and a couch. We have stayed in both categories, but prefer the 1A because there is more room and the price is the lowest:)

Hmmm....So I have a question to the porthole fans...I started to book one for our upcoming Sunshine repo cruise in April, but, ended up booking an interior because I was under the impression most porthole cabins only have twin beds that don't convert or a twin bed and upper bunk.

Do some portholes have "traditional" bed arrangements..like 2 twins that convert to a king or the like?

Some porthole cabins have the 2 twins that convert to a king, and those would be considered "Porthole" category, aka category PT. Some porthole cabins will have only 1 twin plus either a sofa bed or upper bunk; and those would be considered category 1A ("Interior: upper/lower"). Not all 1As have portholes, but not all porthole rooms are 1As. As long as you understand that, it becomes very easy to tell what rooms have what. Sunshine does have category PT and category 1A with portholes. Get category PT ("Porthole") and you will be fine.

Responding to the original question: I have had 3 porthole rooms, and have a 4th one booked. I've enjoyed them. Noise from the waves and while entering/leaving port, plus some rocking. None of that bothers me much, but it could be loud in rough waves. We were sailing against some rough waves last week, and the noise was louder than usual, but I still was able to sleep fine. Those rooms are extremely larger than standard interiors, plus you get some sunlight. Can't beat that!

Edited by k2excursion