One way rental car (mini van)

Ilovesailaway

First off thank you to everyone who to my question about flying the day of. I decided against it and will be flying in the day before our cruise.

Now to research transportation. We are a group of 8 landing in FLL. We pack light. I am looking at getting from FLL to the Intercontinental POM/Downtown Miami. Our flight at FLL lands early afternoon. I have heard that Tri Rail is very time consuming. I looked at shuttle service for about $13PP.

The other option to research is car rental. Does anyone have any insight on whether I could rent a mini van one way, drop my party at the hotel, then turn the van in nearby? Any info would be appreciated.

I was looking at this option for my trip in April. Here was what I found.

Avis and Hertz has 1 way rental where you can pick up a minivan at FLL and return it at their downtown offices. However, you won't be saving much. The cost for 1-way minivan rental will be around $140-$160. Then you'll have to add the taxi cost to take you back to your hotel.

I think your best option is to get shuttle from FLL back to your hotel. $13x8 + tip is still less than the cost of minivan rental. You won't have to worry about driving and fill up afterward.

We rented a mini van from Orlando to FLL one way last week and we got it for $28 on Hotwire for 5 of us from Dollar. It was about as easy as it could be, we dropped off the van and took a taxi to the port. We could of took the shuttle but it would have been over an hour for the shuttle to pick us up, taxi was $21.

Keith