If there were no CDs

golfb4cruzing

We went to the returning guest party and as you walk in they have some ship’s officers and management types hanging by the door to take your invite. Ya end up shaking hands with some of them as you walk by and I asked this one guy what he did. Well, he was the cruise director and he seemed a bit nonplussed that we didn't know who he was.

As you can guess, I am not a big fan of the CD and would be perfectly happy without them.

I am no fan of CD in 16 cruises only ran into 2 that considered really great that actually mingled freely amongst the crowd, and I thought made a difference in our cruise. Saying that not sure you could just do away with them and leave it to Joe Blow behind the scenes person to organize all of that stuff . They have a job to do some people really love them I like some don't go out of my way to even read the ship paper to even see who it even is. Don't really care. But like I said some were so good they were everywhere I met them and they made it fun. I have met some of their asst. that were fun as well.

Someone has to come on the PA after the Captain speaks and tell passengers what he just said. I for one can't understand a word most of the Captains say. :rolleyes:

:D:D

I never thought the D was important either until I had Butch on the Glory. He made a big difference in the whole trip. He got people engaged in activites, participated in many and had a real presence. He knew so many cruisers by name it was amazing!

Since then, the CD will either stand out or need to be sent for recharging IMO. They don't ruin a cruise but they can enhance your experience a lot.

James Dunn had everyone in stitches on debarkation day as he called over and over for those stragglers who just won't go to immigration. His part in the Legend's show was the highlight of the show!

Maybe we just haven't had " that CD " that helped a trip. We cruise for the stops and not the ships and we tend to go on the smaller with better guest/staff ratios. One time we did sail with the CD who wears the kilt. That's all I remember though. I believe Princess makes 2 announcements that I remember unless special (pod of whales) is happening. We just take the paper schedule and plan accordingly.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

If there weren't CDs there would be someone else with some other title doing the same thing for the same salary, or the burdens of a CD would be passed on to other positions that would demand a salary increase to cover the additional workload.

Really though, a CD's salary isn't making or breaking the bottom line or the price of a cruise. I'd bet Carnival spends more on the terrible chocolates than on CD salaries.

Really though, a CD's salary isn't making or breaking the bottom line or the price of a cruise. I'd bet Carnival spends more on the terrible chocolates than on CD salaries.

Truthfully, it seems to me that there cannot be all that much planning as the activities are the same old same old.

The shows stay the same for years and years.

The cruise directors must do something, but I have no idea what it is besides scheduling his staff and selling bingo cards and rip-off watches.

I would feel better about them if they did not lie and mislead to sell crappy junk.

And those chocolates are terrible.

Do you think they have ever tasted them?

The ones on the Platinum chocolate tray are actually nasty.