Renting a car in Barcelona to tour countryside

CarolR

We are a group of three couples traveling on the Liberty of the Seas transatlantic cruise on May 1, 2014. We are staying in Barcelona for three days post cruise and thought we would like to rent a car for one day to our around outside of the city. If anyone has done this we would appreciate any comments or tips on what to see and do and if it is worth doing this.

While you can reach most everything by train or public transport a rental car is also an option. The Sants Train station rental car locations would probably be most easily reached from the port or city hotel.

I really enjoy the Dali Museum outside Figueres myself, but it is not for everyone. It is about 2 hours north.

Sitges is the best beach destination in the region.

A quick search first pulled up a Rick Steves website that details these.

http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/beyond-barcelona-montserrat-figueres-and-sitges?extras=true

Further info can always be found at http://www.spain.info

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car for the day and drove into France to Carcassonne

- it was fun, but renting a car and returning it in a city that you are unfamiliar with can be a hassle. Is this your first trip to Barcelona? If yes, there is really a lot to see and keep you entertained. If it is "been there, done that" or you would like to just see the countryside then the trains are a great way to get out of the city and do that. Have you thought about Montserrat? There are lots of posts about this lovely place and it is an easy day trip outside the city by train. We really enjoyed the train and the cable car to the top. I was also a wonderful day.

We rented a car for the day and drove into France to Carcassonne

- it was fun, but renting a car and returning it in a city that you are unfamiliar with can be a hassle. Is this your first trip to Barcelona? If yes, there is really a lot to see and keep you entertained. If it is "been there, done that" or you would like to just see the countryside then the trains are a great way to get out of the city and do that. Have you thought about Montserrat? There are lots of posts about this lovely place and it is an easy day trip outside the city by train. We really enjoyed the train and the cable car to the top. I was also a wonderful day.

Thanks for the info. We are actually rethinking the rental car and looking into this very train trip.

• 3 months later...

I rented a car from Hertz through Priceline.com. I was able to buy added insurance through Priceline or $11. If you rent, do it through Hertz at L'illa Diagonal. It's much easier to get to the freeways that will take you outside of the city. Renting from Sants can be a little hectic. Also, the guy at Hertz who helped me spoke really good English!

Edited by SunshineAndWine
add a sentence

We didn't rent a car and glad we didn't. Drivers were "fast" and motorcycles and mopeds were in and out of lanes of traffic.....they seemed to think there were no rules of the road for them. Just a heads up for driving in the city!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app