Parental Consent

sunshine!

This will be our first time that we let our son take a friend on a cruise with us. Also, the first time we have not shared a cabin with our son. So I have several questions about the parental consent.

When I booked our cruise with RCCI, I booked 2 cabins. One for my husband and myself and one for my adult brother in law, our son, and son's friend. Both boys are age 17. The cabins are five cabins apart. I was told that I needed a parental consent letter for each of the boys.

I have several questions about this:

The friend's consent letter: I was told by my TA to list my brother in law's name since he would be sharing a cabin with the friend. Should I go ahead and list all the adults' names since my husband and I will be sharing in the responsibility of supervising the friend and we are actually the ones taking him out of the country?

My son's letter: TA informed me that my son needed a letter also as he would be 5 cabins away from us. Any recommendations on how to word this letter as my brother in law is not actually taking our son out of the country, he is just sharing a cabin with him.

I'm almost thinking I just need to change the room assignments and book myself in the cabin with the boys, and then we can change once we are on board. Of course, I know I will still need a letter for my son's friend, just not my son. This just seems like it's getting complicated.

If anyone has any experience with this, I would love to hear it.

I'm surprised you were told your son would need a letter, since there will be an adult in his cabin. We were just on the Liberty in January and my 21 year old and 15 year old were in a cabin 7 down from us. I was never asked for any type of letter.

I don't actually have any experience with this... Just a comment. In theory you should be able to switch cabins, but then your room key is attached to you sea pass account, so unless you plan on meeting up every time you want to get into the room you're staying in. And then if you did switch keys permanently, then I imagine a crew member would eventually question why he has your card.

You can EASILY switch cabins and get the correct keys once onboard.....they really don't care if an adult is in each cabin...that's only for BOOKING purposes...they want to make sure there ARE adults to care for the kids...that's all!

Directly from the RCI web site.. here is the link...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=322&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase+&faqId=2702

: What if I'm traveling with a minor and I'm not the parent or legal guardian?

A: Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of a minor traveling with them must present an original notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s), authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child and allow emergency medical treatment to be administered.

Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation. Royal Caribbean International does not accept reservations for student groups. Please consult a travel agent for Royal Caribbean's group policies.

I am sure that because your son is in a cabin with a non-parent... the agent assumed he needed a letter. It isn't a bad idea, in case you are on another shore trip than you son, and something happens to your son and he'd need medical treatment.

Fairly simple letter to create.. I'd suggest one for each adult - for each child cruising. Notaries are available at your bank... and in our bank and credit union they do not charge for their services.

Enjoy your curse...

Also... it took me about 4 seconds to find this info on the RCI web site. I just searched for parental consent.

Edited by LindaO

My daughter has brought a friend a couple of times. Each time we brought a notary signed letter giving both my husband and/or I permission to supervise and make medical decisions (the "or "is important in case one parent is incapacitated). We are Canadian so it was a formed letter downloaded from the Canadian Foreign Affairs website (Consent Letter for Children Traveling Abroad)- I would presume your State might have something similar. The cruise line did scan the letter and they verified she was with us whenever we returned to the ship.

The girls were under 21 at the time and "their" room was across and two cabins down from us (we booked late so couldn't get directly across). I booked myself and my daughter's friend in the inside room and my daughter and husband in our balcony room. Once we boarded guest services provided an additional room key for each room so we never worried about meeting up or trading keys.

Hope this helps

J

Edited by JMS113