Australian Opals

zorrosuncle

We found the best prices in Melbourne in 1990. Hard telling what the market is doing now. All you can do is shop around. There was a small street (think alley) that was loaded with jewelry stores right downtown.

I think Sydney will be the most expensive because most people go there for sure.

They do have some beautiful ones though! Good luck finding something you like and affordable.

We found the best prices in Melbourne in 1990. Hard telling what the market is doing now. All you can do is shop around. There was a small street (think alley) that was loaded with jewelry stores right downtown.

I think Sydney will be the most expensive because most people go there for sure.

They do have some beautiful ones though! Good luck finding something you like and affordable.

Yes there are some beautiful opals there BUT as a retired gemmologist I would advise against considering an opal for a man's ring. Opals are very fragile and prone to scratching, chipping etc. A mans ring may be subject to more wear than a ladies ring. Also an opal should not be exposed to water (as in hand washing). Just something to think about before you spend the dollars.

Hi --

Am taking a long circumnavigation cruise of Australia and would like to purchase a nice man's opal ring. Where are the best cities and stores to do this? Am spending extra days in Sydney front and back of the cruise.

ZU

I agree with travelbug2!

For more info on where to purchase I would post your question on the Australian Cruisers forum rather than here. There are lots of locals there and I am sure someone would be able to give you good shopping advice...although, strangely enough, Australian opals aren't generally popular in Australia!

Hi --

Am taking a long circumnavigation cruise of Australia and would like to purchase a nice man's opal ring. Where are the best cities and stores to do this? Am spending extra days in Sydney front and back of the cruise.

ZU

Yes there are some beautiful opals there BUT as a retired gemmologist I would advise against considering an opal for a man's ring. Opals are very fragile and prone to scratching, chipping etc. A mans ring may be subject to more wear than a ladies ring. Also an opal should not be exposed to water (as in hand washing). Just something to think about before you spend the dollars.

I also agree with Travelbug 2.. I purchased a beautiful double (ladies) opal ring in Australia in the late 70's.. Unfortunately I never understood how fragile opal's were & wore that ring every day..I lived in the Northeast & exposing the ring to changing hot & cold temps was not the best thing to do.. One day I hit the ring against something hard & the larger of the two opal's cracked..I was heartbroken! I've since learned that opal's should be gently cleaned with room temp. soapy water & if needed by a professional.. If I ever get another opal ring I'll certainly be much more careful with it & only wear it for special occasions..

If you do purchase one for yourself, be gentle with it ...They are beautiful..

Cheers...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

You need to do some research re type, colour, cost, where they are mined etc The darker opals are often enhanced by a darker backing to the ring. There is a small shop in Airlie Beach called Whitsunday Opals which is run by a family own an opal mine. They also have a large selection of original artwork see more here http://www.aboriginalopalart.com/

We visited there last year on our Australian cruise. Men's rings are often more difficult to find.

Sandy in Spain