Nervous About the Sensation...

Quirkxofxart

I know this may seem a little silly, but I'm planning my first cruise ever this year and I'm a little neurotic.

My boyfriend and I are taking our parents to the Bahamas on the November 30th cruise on the Sensation. I'm a planner through and through and I've read the entire carnival cruise FAQ section at least twice over, I've combed through the first hundred pages of these forums, and check new posts every couple days. I'm making everyone get passports and pre paying for as many things as humanly possible.

I'm concerned because I see photo reviews and discussions of what feels like every other ship, but I never hear about the Sensation. Is it not sailing currently and I just missed that, or is it not something a lot of people go on?

No news may be good news, but I'm worried it may mean something else. Can anyone give me any advice on the Sensation as opposed to the other ships?

Also, I'm confused by some abbreviations like DH and "blank-Class" ships. Which ships go together? I know that a "blank-Class" ship means all those ships have the same design, but, for example, which class is the Sensation?

I know thats a lot of silly questiosn at once, but I REALLY want to be completely prepared for this so that I can spend the actual vacation part not worrying about a single thing.

The Sensation sails out of Port Canaveral for 3- and 4-day trips to the Bahamas every week. It was our first cruise in 2009. I just took my mom on her sister ship, Ecstasy, before it moved to Miami last October.

You may not read a lot of reviews about it because many of us who have been on it may be locals looking for a quick getaway or because those who are going on it haven't found anything new to say that hasn't already been said. All that considered, we had a great time on our first cruise and would probably sail her again if it weren't for all the other enticing options for us Floridians.

I can't speak to the quality now as opposed to several years ago, but I CAN tell you that the shorter trips are usually lively and have more of a party atmosphere. If you want some quiet time, though, just look for other places to hang out. You will find quiet when you want it.

I am a planner, too, and a very high J on the MBTI so I completely understand how the lack of recent reviews make you nervous. I wouldn't worry too much, though, as I'm sure you will have a great time. Just go with an open mind and a positive attitude, and it will be a great little vacation!:)

DH and DW = Dear Husband and Dear Wife

The class of ships kind of define the layout and size for each ship in that category. Someone on here started a fantastic spreadsheet to compare all of them. Can someone find that link?

Edited by JenMJM

The DH, DW, DD etc. are Dear Husband, Dear Wife, Dear Daughter. There are a lot of abbreviations use here, just ask when you don't understand them. The Sensation is a Fantasy Class ship. Have you looked in the reviews section for recent reviews on the Sensation? Try this link, it should have some good information on the ship for you. Just click on the different links to the left.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/the_fleet/sensation/sensation.ashx

Edited by Mysticks1

First off, relax :)

Sensation is "Fantasy" Class. This class is the smaller of the classes. Typically (not always) weekend type cruises.

I would believe the reason you don't see many reviews on Sensation because she does shorter cruises (3 night / 4 night). You just don't see so many reviews on the weekend/shorter cruises as often as the 7+ day cruises.

My first cruise on Carnival was on the Imagination (Fantasy Class also). I didn't know what to expect, but it was a great ship and I had a blast! (I've been on other Fantasy Class: Inspiration and Paradise, and also bigger, Liberty, and even the Breeze. Bigger doesn't always mean better, so don't feel like just because it's the smaller class that it won't be nice or fun. Every class offers different feels, that's all.)

Relax & enjoy!

I know this may seem a little silly, but I'm planning my first cruise ever this year and I'm a little neurotic.

My boyfriend and I are taking our parents to the Bahamas on the November 30th cruise on the Sensation. I'm a planner through and through and I've read the entire carnival cruise FAQ section at least twice over, I've combed through the first hundred pages of these forums, and check new posts every couple days. I'm making everyone get passports and pre paying for as many things as humanly possible.

I'm concerned because I see photo reviews and discussions of what feels like every other ship, but I never hear about the Sensation. Is it not sailing currently and I just missed that, or is it not something a lot of people go on?

No news may be good news, but I'm worried it may mean something else. Can anyone give me any advice on the Sensation as opposed to the other ships?

Also, I'm confused by some abbreviations like DH and "blank-Class" ships. Which ships go together? I know that a "blank-Class" ship means all those ships have the same design, but, for example, which class is the Sensation?

I know thats a lot of silly questiosn at once, but I REALLY want to be completely prepared for this so that I can spend the actual vacation part not worrying about a single thing.

Let's see, first, as you said, Carnival ships are broken down by categories. Each ship has sister ships that are the same length, number of decks, basic layout and overall capacity. (Give or take a few...)

The sensation is in the Fantasy class of ships, including the Elation, Fantasy, Fascination, Inspiration, Paradise and Sensation. ( I think that's all, going from memory here...) they are currently the smallest ships in the fleet. Since this is your first cruise, you'll have nothing to compare it to! It seems that there is a real fondness for most cruisers for the fantasy class ships. They do not have all the "bells and whistles" but a charm of their own. We've found that the staff and crew are exceptional as crew members tend to like the smaller vessels and opt to transfer to those when a spot becomes available.

That said, you'll tend to feel more motion aboard small ships, so if motion sickness is a concern, you'll want to book midship, further down (Riviera or Main). As far as the Bahamas, it's just not my favorite destination in ports... To me, it pales in comparison to the Caribbean. But again, you won't have a comparison, so that should be good

DH is dear husband (DW-dear wife, DS-dear son, DD-dear daughter.)

Hope that helps! Relax and have fun! Cruising is amazing!! You might just get hooked!

We did 4 day cruise on Sensation last year for a quick Valentine's Trip. Had a wonderful time. Ship is older but just as nice as the newer ones. It had not been upgraded to the 2.0 changes but that did not matter. You will be fine. There are some old posts on Sensation, just have to look deep.

Have a great trip.

A lot of the Fantasy class (read: smallest and oldest) ships don't get a lot of attention here because they've been around the longest, and many people are more interested in talking about the new innovations than what's great about the old tried and true that seasoned cruisers are used to. But I sailed the Sensation in 2007 and had a great time, and I'm sure you will too.

Sure, it's a smaller ship than the newer vessels sailing these days, but that makes it a lot easier to learn the layout quickly. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the newer ships either, but since it's your first cruise you won't even miss them. In my opinion (IMO) the Fantasy class is ideal for your first cruise. You'll have a great time without being overwhelmed by the larger crowds on the Dream class.

I'm a planner too, so I know how hard it is to relax when facing the unknown, but I think once you're on board and get the hang of the experience, you'll have a great time. I love cruising because it's forced relaxation, and I get all the fun of micromanagement levels of planning before the trip. Best of both worlds!

ETA:

, if you haven't discovered those yet. On Youtube search for 'Carnival Sensation' and you'll find lots of videos.

As for the Bahamas, they're not everyone's favorite port, but my family loves Freeport. The trick is to get out of the port area and explore the island itself. It's truly a beautiful place with some gorgeous beaches, and a good tour guide will be happy to tell you all about their home and what it has to offer. We toured the Lucayan National Park with H. Forbes last year, and it was very informative and fun, plus we got to spend a lot of time at Gold Rock Beach, which is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever enjoyed.

No matter what you do, have a fantastic trip! You'll love cruising.

Edited by thistoo

the sensation was our first cruise we did which was last may. we loved her so much we are going on her again this may (our anniversary is may 3). i didn't post a review about our trip because i did know about cc until well after our trip. i will post one this time just to see if i am up to it. gapearl went on her recently and has a review of her. i will see if i can post the link to it. but you will have fun. she is a great ship with great service. if you have any more questions you can ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much, that really is so helpful! I was guessing something akin to Deck Husband or something to that effect, so maybe not too far off? Haha I'm always terrible at slang so I will DEFINITELY ask if I can't figure it out. I'm excited!

My boyfriend are looking at doing a longer cruise to Hawaii next year after we do this one to get our feet wet so to speak. That way we'll have a little bit of experience and know what he do and don't like.

We've been on the Sensation 8 times over the past year and love the ship and especially her crew. IMHO the best crew working for Carnival. That's what keeps us going back to the Sensation. Relax and prepare yourselves for a great cruise. I've done one or 2 reviews last year on the Sensation.

Edited by madthumper

Sensation is a fine ship. Its one of 8 ships in the Fantasy class, and is a fine ship of its day before balcoiny ships became popular. You will be pleased.

Out of our 10 cruises, 6 have been on the Sensation (2 of the 10 on her sister ships, Fantasy and Fascination). OUr most recent was a back-2-back this past November. The ship is older, but still beautiful and I would get back on her in a heartbeat! The crew is always exceptional. You maybe a little overwhelmed at first being your first cruise, but in my opinion, the layout is very easy to get accustomed to and is perfect for a first timer.

You will love it. Fantasy Class ships are great, especially for 1st time cruisers. We had our honeymoon cruise on the Sensation, so that ship will always be special to us. We have sailed the Fantasy out of Charleston twice, and it just keeps getting better.....

Our first cruise was on the Sensation. The staff was excellent and the ship, though slightly dated looking, is really nice. Enjoy your cruise:)

BTW, if you do a wiki search for Carnival, you will see all the different classes of ships with links to more in depth information.

Peeked at your review for nostalgia purposes and I just have to say how ADORABLE your kids are. So cute!

Thank you!:) The kids had a blast on the Sensation. I love the fantasy class ships. I'm sure the OP will enjoy a great vacation. And Port Canaveral is such a nice, easy port to leave from in my opinion.

The Sensation is a fine ship and you'll have a good time; don't worry!;)

The Carnival fleet is divided into different classes:

Fantasy Class

Sunshine Class

Triumph Class

Spirit Class

Conquest Class

Dream Class

Vista Class (Coming Autumn 2016)

You should take a look at Wikipedia which has more detail in terms of technical specs etc.

Enjoy your first cruise.

The Sensation was our first cruise 2 years ago and got us hooked on cruising. You have nothing to worry about! She's a great ship, and you'll have a wonderful time.

My review is below in my signature - it is 2 years old though. I also couldn't find many reviews back then.

as others have noted, sensation is a fantasy class ship.

here's an easy one page synopsis of what ships are which class:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/content/form-policy/documents/ShipClassGuide.ashx

I will be on the Sensation in 10 days. Not a lot gets written about her because it does short cruises and is overshadowed by the newer, bigger ships. Even though it is now considered to be a "small" ship, that is a relative term - Cruise ships are massive in size - prepared to be wowed by the enormity of it.

. . . My boyfriend and I are taking our parents to the Bahamas on the November 30th cruise on the Sensation.

I think you'll have a nice time onboard Carnival Sensation, but there can definitely be a different 'feel' of the ship & passengers when comparing to a longer sailing.

You embark the week after Thanksgiving, so the experience (in my opinion) for you should be better than for those traveling the previous week.

Bon Voyage!!

I've been on 5 Carnival Cruises since 2009 and 4 of them have been on the Sensation; the most recent was February 2013. IMO (In my opinion) it is a great ship especially for a first time cruiser - not so big that it will give you sensory overload and not too small. I think it is the perfect ship to be doing the 3-4 day cruises. It is clean, well maintained ship that doesn't have all the 2.0 upgrades as some of the newer ships, but since you haven't experienced those yet you won't miss anything. No reason to worry... have a FABULOUS Cruise!

I will be on the Sensation in 10 days. Not a lot gets written about her because it does short cruises and is overshadowed by the newer, bigger ships. Even though it is now considered to be a "small" ship, that is a relative term - Cruise ships are massive in size - prepared to be wowed by the enormity of it.

I totally agree with this. These older ships are only small in comparison to the newer ships where they just bigger and bigger. All of these ships are huge. We took a family friend with us last year on her first cruise. Her eyes lit up as soon as we drove over the bridge when she finally got her first glimpse of the ships docked. She was fascinated the entire time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk