How to get to the VERY front of Azura?

wingnutta

One of the best things about standing at the very front of the clam shell is that (apart from the wind) it's completely silent. You're quite a few yards forward of the point where the bow cuts the water so there's no wave noise at all, and you certainly can't hear the engines or the wake - they're 300 yards behind you. On a calm day running the Med (say) it's an extraordinary experience - all you can see is untroubled water coming towards you.

Of course, on a windy day you can hardly stand upright....

I agree Tom. Its more or less free of passengers and not much noise except the wind in your ears if its calm, On Azura it was a nice day but the wind in your face was exhilarating and the waves were crashing off the bow thirty yards behind you!

Most people who want a forward view tend to go to the walkway which wraps right round the front of the Gym, which is quite a bit higher than the bow.

I agree Tom. Its more or less free of passengers and not much noise except the wind in your ears if its calm, On Azura it was a nice day but the wind in your face was exhilarating and the waves were crashing off the bow thirty yards behind you!

Most people who want a forward view tend to go to the walkway which wraps right round the front of the Gym, which is quite a bit higher than the bow.

My recollection is that the spot you mention is better for taking pictures, as there's less obstruction - the lower edge of the clam shell is certainly chest height on me (5'8'). But that higher spot is certainly busier.

I remember when I was on Azura in Flaam in Norway in 2012 I stood in the "clam shell " watching the ship being prepared for departure and not even realising the ship was moving backwards as I was that engrossed

Also stood here as the ship turned around on itself to leave Flaam, was an amazing experience !!

• 1 month later...

Hey James, ha ha well sort of. There was a few other people who were up there sometimes but certainly not many. I think the most I counted at one time was 8 and that included some of the crew!!. It was never windy either which I was very surprised about!.. All in all a good spot to visit!!!:D

Edited by wingnutta