Holiday Inn Express Tampa

balenjim

We have a group of 20 couples going on a cruise in December. Our travel agent found the best deal at the Holiday Inn Express in the Westshore area. Is anyone familiar with this hotel. I would appreciate any comments anyone has.

Thanks

I'm not aware of a HIEX in the Westshore area. Closest to my knowledge would be on N. Dale Mabry, and if that's the one your TA is calling Westshore I would pass on it and any other motel that comes up with an address on Dale Mabry (north or south). It's just a very long, sleazy road in Tampa with all the car dealers, strip joints. It's one of the most jam packed commercial roads I've ever seen in this country. Granted there may be some decent blocks but you never know what the local clientele will be from block to block.

Enjoy your preparations for cruising!

We have a group of 20 couples going on a cruise in December. Our travel agent found the best deal at the Holiday Inn Express in the Westshore area. Is anyone familiar with this hotel. I would appreciate any comments anyone has.

Thanks

I agree if it is the Holiday Inn Express on Dale Mabry I would steer away. There are so many more hotels to choose from that your group would be much happier with. Hopefully TA will come up with another option for your group. The hotels in the true "Westshore" area are usually a safe bet, with a few exceptions. "Westhore" is the business district of Tampa and not too far from the Port of Tampa.

Good Luck!

Hi, I have also read on these boards , the pre and post cruise info, for Tampa, that this hotel is in a very bad unsafe nieghborhood. Do not stay there! There is a really long thread on Tampa hotels, find it, and read it. Cracker Ken who lives in Tampa answers everyones questions and knows all the areas, and gives excellent advice and suggestions! http://www.tripadvisor.com is another great resource for Tampa hotels with reviews . I have booked a 2 night pre cruise room at the Tampa Marriot Waterside and Marina for $ 149.00 { It is very close to the port, Trolly takes you everywhere and area attractions will pick you up and drop you off on them if you purchase tix there} and a one night post cruise at Sailport Resort { all Suites } at $ 86.00 for a one bedroom suite., on Tampa Bay near the airport, has a beach. If you need more info let me know! Good luck and have a great cruise. Susan

Waterside is an excellent hotel. About 2 years old I think. Nice rooms and beautiful pool. There is also a Wyndham Harbour Island which is "behind" the Marriott. I have stayed there before - not as deluxe but nice accomodations. Wyndham has a decent restaurant called Jackson's with harbor (outside) dining - good sushi. Marriott has a Champions and an Italian restaurant. Both withing a few minutes of the port.

I would echo what others have said about anything on Dale Mabry - stay away if you can afford to. There are some sleazy places there and a few unsavory characters.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Suites near downtown also This is not bad either. A bit further away than Marriott and Wyndham.

I don't recommend the Marriott Westshore. This is an old hotel desparately in need of a refurbishing. Last time I stayed here there was a very strong "sewer" odor on my floor. The front desk tried to explain that is was because of low tide. :confused:

Archived