The Upgrade Fairy......

aaannnthony

does Seabourn have one?

This question appears often on all the mass market boards, I've also seen it once on the Crystal board, but not here. We've been most fortunate to have been invited by the upgrade fairy several times on Princess and twice on Cunard!

So, if anyone, who's made acquaintance with the upgrade fairy on Seabourn?

Your best bet for an upgrade is to book a guaranty category (A is lowest and the few suites in A are usually reserved for entertainers and lecturers) so an upgrade to A1 is possible. Rarely are there upgrades from a windowed suite to a French balcony, but it has happened. I think Host Dan was once upgraded to B3--am I right Dan?

It really makes little difference; all suites except Owner's and Classic Suites (only some of which boast true verandas) are the same size. French balcony suites are categories B2 and B3.

Since every suite on Seabourn is equally wonderful, if you are willing to roll the dice on location, do a guaranty.

Your best bet for an upgrade is to book a guaranty category (A is lowest and the few suites in A are usually reserved for entertainers and lecturers) so an upgrade to A1 is possible. Rarely are there upgrades from a windowed suite to a French balcony, but it has happened. I think Host Dan was once upgraded to B3--am I right Dan?

It really makes little difference; all suites except Owner's and Classic Suites (only some of which boast true verandas) are the same size. French balcony suites are categories B2 and B3.

Since every suite on Seabourn is equally wonderful, if you are willing to roll the dice on location, do a guaranty.

Yes, I was upgraded to a balcony suite on our last cruise. Booked an A1 guarantee. I believe that this was a very rare occurance! (loved it!)

Host Dan

Does anyone know how "run of the ship" rooms are actually assigned? Is it done by a computer (in other words, random luck) or does a live person do it for each cruise? If a live person, what criteria does that person use in making assignements?

Thanks for the replies.

When I booked the 8/28/05 Pride T/A plus 3 day NYC Waterways, over a year ago, they did not offer an A gty., so we booked #104. Several calls thereafter resulted in the same answer even though, most recently, there were no A cabin's available, the category we booked a year ago. Possibly, my calls were always made at the wrong time.

at the risk of jinxing future cruises, I have always booked category A guarantee and been upgraded to B2 or B3

curiousx,

You are very lucky indeed!

Host Dan

Hi everyone, I'm new here. My husband and I are considering taking the Yachtsman Carribean cruise in Dec 06 and have a quote from Seabourn for Cabin 111. I'm trying real hard to talk my husband into it! Seaborn sounds like just our kind of cruise line. I have sailed on Princess and Sitmar.

Anyway, forgive my ignorance, but what is a guarantee reservation? Is it better than going with the quote we have, or do I ask for a guarantee? One of my husbands biggest concerns is motion sickness. He took an Alaskan cruise a long time ago and had some problems, so we wanted as midship as possible.

Thanks!

I'll have to ask this question again on other boards where we've not been upgraded.

Our T/A left us a message about two hours ago that we've been upgraded to a B-2 from our A, from #104 to #204, on our 21 day b-2-b from London to New York on the Pride. Maybe the "Fairy" considered our 35th anniversary celebration? We now have that French balcony instead of a window! YES!!

The bad news is that we now have one less deck to climb up to and walk down from the stairs at the "pool deck" level! We'll manage to live with that.

I have to disagree with La Paloma in that there can be a price advantage in opting for an "A" guarantee suite.

By so doing,we saved 60% on the "A" category brochure fare,and were given an upgrade to an "A2" suite.

Your lucky--we have used it twice when our daughter has travelled with us, and both times it was 110% of regular fare for "A" category, but she got good upgrades both times!

Jane, it has been record heat..and today it is finally humid, as the Monsoons have started. Strangely, we like the summers. Must me something wrong with us. We will be thinking of you all on your cruise this fall. We don't go till Oct. 9th. Lola..and yes we are hydrating..mine is blended w/Crown Royal!

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me what Suite 128 is like in terms of it being part of a "double"? We booked an A guaranty and were assigned 128. Don't know if this is an "upgrade" or not, this being our first cruise with Seabourn. It's mid ship which is great as far as we are concerned but wonder what that "other" side will be used for? Will it be noisy or what?

Jean

Can anyone tell me what Suite 128 is like in terms of it being part of a "double"? We booked an A guaranty and were assigned 128. Don't know if this is an "upgrade" or not, this being our first cruise with Seabourn. It's mid ship which is great as far as we are concerned but wonder what that "other" side will be used for? Will it be noisy or what?

Jean

You got a one class upgrade--a nice suite. 228 is the same as all other suites, but can be converted to a double. When its not converted, the other side is a suite just like yours. You will have no problem with extra noise. You will see no sign that it can be converted! Have a great cruise, and welcome to Seabourn.

I changed my reservation with Seabourn from a balcony cabin to run of ship for my Legend Caribbean cruise 4/9 - 4/23, 2006. This saved me SEVEN thousand dollars (that includes the single supplement). The brochure says they don't assign a particular cabin until 30 days prior to the cruise if you're run of ship. Any cabin will be fine with me, since now I'm traveling with my sister, brother in law and another lady friend of ours. I'm happy to have their company, and was astonished at the fare difference when I changed the cabin. I must not have been adding correctly when I, at first, booked that balcony, yowzers!

Jane :)

I changed my reservation with Seabourn from a balcony cabin to run of ship for my Legend Caribbean cruise 4/9 - 4/23, 2006. This saved me SEVEN thousand dollars (that includes the single supplement). The brochure says they don't assign a particular cabin until 30 days prior to the cruise if you're run of ship. Any cabin will be fine with me, since now I'm traveling with my sister, brother in law and another lady friend of ours. I'm happy to have their company, and was astonished at the fare difference when I changed the cabin. I must not have been adding correctly when I, at first, booked that balcony, yowzers!

Jane :)

Archived