belize excursions?

pandarider123

I know this should be in belize section but seems like its not very active. Since this my first cruise ill try this section.

Anyways belize is probably the least faviote port on our itinerary. I was orginnaly going to settle for xuantiech ruins but heard its two hours on bus each way. That sounds extremly boring. Been doing some research and people been raving about cave tubing. Im 23 and active and floating down a river doesnt sound all that thrilling. I would really appreciate it if people offer up what they did first time in belize.

We were in Belize once on Royal Caribbean. We booked a shore excursion called Lamanai & The New River Safari. You didn't say which cruise line you are on so I don't know whether this excursion is offered. While some people will say something like this is boring, we found it to be very interesting.

Here is a description taken from the RC website:

Your adventure begins after a one-hour drive from Belize City to Tower Hill, where you will board a riverboat for a 90-minute cruise of the New River, with its spectacular rainforest, mangroves, orchids and birds. Disembarking at the northern end of the New River Lagoon, you'll enjoy a Belize style lunch. Then begin your 90-minute tour of Lamanai, once the largest Mayan ceremonial site in Meso-America and occupied as early as 1500 B.C. The first stone buildings appeared here between 800 and 600 B.C. Huge masks depicting dead rulers and gods seem to materialize out of the rainforest amid the chatter of birds and the haunting calls of howler monkeys. Your guide will point out the copal and ramon (breadnut) trees, of great importance in ancient times.

Looking at pictures might help you decide. My wife put hers together into a slide show for her website. You can view them by clicking on the link below.

Lamanai & The New River Safari

Find something interesting to do instead of staying on the ship all day. Cruising is a great way to see a part of the world you may never see again.

Edited by JimAOk1945

We were in Belize once on Royal Caribbean. We booked a shore excursion called Lamanai & The New River Safari. You didn't say which cruise line you are on so I don't know whether this excursion is offered. While some people will say something like this is boring, we found it to be very interesting.

Here is a description taken from the RC website:

Your adventure begins after a one-hour drive from Belize City to Tower Hill, where you will board a riverboat for a 90-minute cruise of the New River, with its spectacular rainforest, mangroves, orchids and birds. Disembarking at the northern end of the New River Lagoon, you'll enjoy a Belize style lunch. Then begin your 90-minute tour of Lamanai, once the largest Mayan ceremonial site in Meso-America and occupied as early as 1500 B.C. The first stone buildings appeared here between 800 and 600 B.C. Huge masks depicting dead rulers and gods seem to materialize out of the rainforest amid the chatter of birds and the haunting calls of howler monkeys. Your guide will point out the copal and ramon (breadnut) trees, of great importance in ancient times.

Looking at pictures might help you decide. My wife put hers together into a slide show for her website. You can view them by clicking on the link below.

Lamanai & The New River Safari

Find something interesting to do instead of staying on the ship all day. Cruising is a great way to see a part of the world you may never see again.

sorry im on carnival magic. Actually that doesnt sound boring I wouldnt mind seeing ruins but the 4 hour.bus ride kills it however river wallace sounds awesome. I wanted to do lamanani but I heard its to far away to do private. Its not offered as a cruise excersion.we are in port for 9 hours..is that enough time. I have faster to the fun so I can ge priority tendering.

Have been to Belize twice.

The first with another couple where the gals did the equivalent of Carnival's "Shark, Rays & Island Getaway" while the guys did the equivalent of Carnival's "Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace" (only we went up the New River). Both were very enjoyable once-in-a-life-time experiences and booked thru the ship.

The second time we did a river/cave tubing excursion that we booked independently. Very good experience with a small group vs. the ship's multiple bus load crowd.

If you are looking for with various activity levels, consider the Carnival "Ultimate Adventure - Zipline, Rappel & Cave Tubing"

Note- The road system outside the city is often very narrow two lane roads. A single accident can tie up traffic for hours. I would not suggest any independently book excursions that would take you way out in the country.

Enjoy!

We did the Altun Ha & River Wallace tour 9 years ago with our almost grown kids. It was THE favorite excursion for all 4 of us. Really fun. Additionally, the best advice I was given re: Belize is it's too beautiful not to take some kind of excursion, but if you don't take an excursion consider stay on the ship. There isn't much around the port, although it's been a few years since I've been there. JMHO

Go ziplining in Belize. It was incredible! However, I suggest you do not do cave tubing. I did a combined ziplining and cavetubing excursion in Belize. I loved ziplining, but the cave tubing was extremely uncomfortable. They make a human chain of tubes, and you're connected to everyone around you. My ankles were on the shoulders of the person in front of me, and the person behind me had his ankles on my shoulders. I couldn't move for the 30-45 minute duration of cave tubing, and I was so uncomfortable. My upper back/neck ached for hours afterward.

I loved my time in Belize. We did the Goff's Caye excursion thru Island Marketing. $40pp and you get a boat ride to and from the tiny tiny island, snorkel gear, strong rum punch, and for $10 a grilled lobster meal with rice and corn, 2 for $5 Belikin beers. $3 for fresh coconut that one of the guides climbs up the tree and knocks them down. The reef was amazing. I would love to go back.

You can read my review if you wish in my signature under the Caribbean Princess sailing.

Starting at post #63 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40766658#post40766658

Edited by whataboutport