5 day or 7 day?

MzMelissa26

I'd go for the 7, but be warned... If they love it, they will feel slighted if you try to do a shorter cruise! We started with a 5 day for our kids and then they took several 7 day cruises in a row... Now, if we mention shorter ones they are like- aww, only (4 or 5) days?!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you're concerned about how he will handle the motion, minimize the possibility of motion sickness by booking a midship cabin on the lowest deck with at least a window. That's the best place to be, and being able to see the horizon helps tremendously to keep your spatial awareness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Please keep in mind that you are asking a bunch of cruise fanatics here! We will all be saying "Go for the 7-day or 10 or 50 or 4,000 day cruises". Because we love cruising. We tend to not realize that some people don't like cruising. One of my best friends & his wife went on a 5-day, and they couldn't get off the ship fast enough. In fact, they disembarked in Cozumel on the morning of Day 4. They had enough, and they won't take another. I think it's always best to start off with a 5-day cruise. If they love it, then you can go for the longer ones next. I have personally loved 5-day cruises. It seems that all the activities and entertainment of a 7-day cruise gets jammed into 5 days, so it feels more action packed, and less opportunities to get bored. A 7-day or longer cruise allows you to travel to more distant ports, but that doesn't matter as much to kids & teens. For someone like me who often has the mindset of a teenager, I even found myself feeling a little bored a week ago aboard my very favorite ship, traveling with my best friends, having just visited my 2 favorite ports. I still loved that cruise though, one of my overall 3 favorites (all 3 aboard the Dream).

I am surprised that you say that the 7-day is about the same price as a 5. I have frequently found 5-day cruises to be a bit cheaper, even on a per day basis. I have found 5 days to be around $300 ($60/day), while the same port at the same time will have 7-day cruises at $500 (over $70/day). If the total price is the same, that would make it more tempting to go ahead and go for the 7-day anyway, and if he gets bored, big deal. He'll survive.

Edited by k2excursion

I love cruising but have only been on one 7-day since I started this type of vacation almost 13 years ago. I usually combine vacations with some time on land and some on sea. And admit I was a little itchy to get off with our first 7-day. I'm looking forward to it now only because I know so much more than I did before. But from my experience in inviting first-time cruisers with us like we always do, the 7-day trip was a tough sell this year. So the only folks going are those of us that have been on several cruises. Usually every year some newbie in our circle jumps to go with us. Not this year.

The teens will have a great time, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the trip was a little long for them; especially as first-timers. Book the trip you want, though. They will adjust. And take the advice already given to minimize any possibility of seasickness.

My 1st cruise was a 7. My agent told me to start off with a 4 or 5, but no I took a 7. It was love at 1st embarkation. Since, I have taking a 5 and hated it. He told me that If I would have taking a 4 or 5 1st, that I would like them more than 7. So I say go for 7.

Wow we will definately try that... I'd rather have something non drowsy. We are going to make an adventure out of the whole thing. Instead of driving we are going to take Amtrak as we have always wanted to take the train

I have found that candied ginger works better than the tablets. They do have a very strong flavor though. Also, peppermints and some people swear by green apples. (I've never tried the apples)

The teenagers on our last cruise loved the sea days more than the port days because they were hanging out with other kids from their Camp Carnival groups.

Perfect room choice...outside room area and set up for you two with some fresh air ability...Spirit class ships are wonderful, perfect size and space ratios and sadly limited to 3 in U S now...

Love, Love, Love the train idea and my train memories from Europe and west coast and even growing up here before one I took across state fro church camp went out of service. Train travel is just wonderful and watching the world go by terrific...if you have the time.... and you will be shocked at the room difference....my last 7 day was 1992 I think..way way way to long ago. The longest you can do it...at least 7 to really get it down...if my first cruise had not been 7 days..I would not have had the getting it all down ability for the hard to get off; but squeeze all the joy out you can shorter ones.

Edited by sjn911