Doubletree Grand vs. Intercontinental

Minmounce

After staying at the Intercontinental the last two times in Miami we are thinking about trying out the Doubletree Grand. We have enjoyed the Intercontinental very much just thinking about trying something new.

We are able to book a King corner suite with balconies at the Doubletree for the same price as Intercontinental.

My only concern is the reviews on the Doubletree seem to lean towards it being older and in need of updating but as with anything there seem to also be glowing reviews. The upside of the Doubletree is the balconies as there is a smoker in our family.

So...stick with the known or try something new?

We just stayed at the Doubletree in December for 2 nights before our cruise. We love the hotel. I did not think it was run down at all. We had a great room with a balcony facing the Marina. The view was fantastic. Great views of the ships coming in in the morning and leaving in the evening.

We ate at two of the restaurants in the hotel and thought the food was great. It is only a 2 block walk to a Publix market and liquor store if you need anything. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Claudia

After staying at the Intercontinental the last two times in Miami we are thinking about trying out the Doubletree Grand. We have enjoyed the Intercontinental very much just thinking about trying something new.

We are able to book a King corner suite with balconies at the Doubletree for the same price as Intercontinental.

My only concern is the reviews on the Doubletree seem to lean towards it being older and in need of updating but as with anything there seem to also be glowing reviews. The upside of the Doubletree is the balconies as there is a smoker in our family.

So...stick with the known or try something new?

I definitely encourage you to experience a corner suite at the Doubletree. I stayed there several times paying as low as $89 a night for a regular room, but as a Hilton Diamond they always upgraded me up to a corner suite. They are very large with a large dining table and have wrap around balconies that overlook the marina. If you like lots of natural light and a view, you'll love their floor to ceiling windows/patio doors.

Yes, the Doubletree is slightly worn and a little dated, but I always experienced excellent service. They don't own their parking garage, so if you have a car it's a bit pricey. It's been about 5 years since I stayed there and parking was about $27 a night.

It's a great view...

BiscayneBay-Miami013.jpg

BiscayneBay-Miami006.jpg

Edited by walty

We did not have a corner suite, but we had just about the same view. We had a room facing the water, but not in the corner.

We went to the Italian bar and restaurant at the front of the hotel. They had a drink special for happy hour. Buy one, get one free. We also had the best Spagetti I have ever had. Great sauce.

Claudia

Thank you Walty for the great pictures...what a great view. These were taken from the balcony on a corner suite?

Yes, from the balcony of a corner suite.

Note: I typed Doubletree/Marina above and I meant Doubletree/Marriot.