sailing 2/16 on the Legend HELP! !!!

carmi0018

Hi friends,

Ill try to make this quick. I usually do weeks of research on what to do in ports on the trip. I do this for two reasons. 1st, because i don't like the excursions offered by the company, too expenzive and too crowded. are a family of four looking for the best snorkeling and/or secluded beaches. 2nd because I've found with some research, I can do better on my own in less crowded areas for less money. Do to a myriad of reasons I have done virtually nothing in the way of research. If anyone could offer some advice id be soooo grateful! We are looking to snorkel in Belize and either Isla Roatan or Cozumel. For Grand Cayman and one of the last two mentioned, I'd be happy with a nice not too crowded beach. I will pay the money to take a boat to go for good snorkelling.just hate to do it with another 200 people. I've always found that there are smaller independent boat captains/snorkel guides that will take us to the best spots for the same $ or less since we are a party of four. If someone can tell me where to see the most dish, approximately how much transportation (taxi and boat should cost) ill deal with the locals on my own .ill be happy to repay the favor at one of the ships bars, or if you get to NY, in a hotel concierge, I'll save you money on Broadway, tours etc.... If and when you visit NYC!

Thanks

We just returned from this itinerary on this particular ship.

We went to the Marriott on 7mile beach in cayman. They let us use the beach and towels etc for $20pp. Awe saw some pretty big fish and a lot of them right in front of the hotel. No reservation, just walked up and asked for a day pass.

Mr sanchos in Cozumel. It was fun. Drinks are better at the bar/pool than from your runner. $45 pp I think w reservation.

For snorkeling, we did Goff'sCaye in Belize. It was about $50 pp and we reserved in advance here as well. This was great. We saw a huge barracuda, eagle rays, TONS of starfish and conchs everywhere. Thousands of various reef fish and someone on our trip supposedly saw a manatee at "the drop off" not me though:(

Roatan, we did Little French Key. We were only there for like 6 hours because of our itinerary change but it was probably the most incredible place I've ever been. Played with monkeys and jaguars (yep),snorkeled, laid in a hammock. Saw some of the coolest looking fish I've ever see here too. At $88 pp it seemed steep at first,but I would have probably paid double that after visiting. Reservation was required. Oh yeah, it included KILLER food and two drinks too.

Hope that helps! I know the rules for links are strict here on CC, so a quick google search should suffice. I would encourage Goff'sCaye and Little French Key above any other excursion we've ever done. You can reply if I can be of any further help.

Grand Cayman has the most beautiful water and great snorkeling and I have swam with the stingrays all 3 times I have been. Used Moby Dick Tours. No more than 20-25 people on board very relaxing and uncrowded. He also takes you to the reef to snorkel I think it was like 45 dollars pp.

Check out Victor Bodden tours in roatan, awesome people.

We rent a jeep in Cozumel 80 dollars, and stop anywhere and everywhere. One road around the island and some of the most beautiful beaches. Get off the ship and go directly to the car rental agency by the pier.

Belize we took the water taxi to Caulker Cay for the day and rented a golf cart and rode the island and stopped at a bar or two.

Grand Cayman has the most beautiful water and great snorkeling and I have swam with the stingrays all 3 times I have been. Used Moby Dick Tours. No more than 20-25 people on board very relaxing and uncrowded. He also takes you to the reef to snorkel I think it was like 45 dollars pp.

We rent a jeep in Cozumel 80 dollars, and stop anywhere and everywhere. One road around the island and some of the most beautiful beaches. Get off the ship and go directly to the car rental agency by the pier.

Belize we took the water taxi to Caulker Cay for the day and rented a golf cart and rode the island and stopped at a bar or two.

I researched some tours extensively to plan for our feb23 sailing on the legend!

Moby Dick&victor bodden both looked great_"-go

ogle them for more info . In grand Cayman, I also considered Aquarius sea tours.

We are doing mr anchors in cozumel, shark ray alley in belize, just walking to beach in roatan and undecided in Cayman. I got many ideas from the roll call so definitely check it out for inspiration.

Goff's Caye snorkeling was good. There was something for every level of experience. There was a group snorkel where the leader pointed out fish and coral. I stayed by the beach for my snorkeling because I'm not a strong swimmer. There was plenty to see there too. We went with the cruise line tour and didn't feel crowded.

We love Chankanaab Marine Park in Cozumel for snorkeling and so much more. The fish come up to greet you when you enter the water. Check out what TripAdvisor has to say about it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d185578-Reviews-Chakanaab_Park-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Added: Take a taxi to Chankanaab. Someone in the gift shop will call a taxi when you are ready to leave if there isn't one already waiting. Also, check out the website for an admission coupon.

Edited by Grannycb
addition

all great advice. Looks like the best snorkelling will be at Goffs cay in Belize> Ill try to do some research on trip advisor. it looks like you have to get a boat ride out to the cay. Dont need the all inclusive stuff. Just want the boat ride and mask and snorkel. Id be satisfied with one great snorkel tour and ijust find a queit beach on the other islands to relax at . I have such little time to research and i can never navigate the forums here well. Thank You all.

We've done this cruise twice, I am cheap so I try to find the cheap excursions :)

Cozumel- Both times we took a Taxi to Paradise Beach (I think its called). Cab was cheap, its like 5.00 or buy food at the beach. They have an amazing pool. Great place.

Grand Cayman- We've done snorkeling with stingrays (through Island Marketing) it was good.... last time we just got on the City Bus and went down to the beach. Cheap, easy, fun. Seriously 2.00 a person I think.

Honduras- We just did the beach off the boat once. Its owned by Carnival. The second time we went to the zip lining place next to the port. Now they do stuff thru carnival, but when we went you could book independently a lot cheaper.

Belize- Both times we went to Mayan ruins. Once with Carnival. The other time with Island Marketing.

Hi friends,

Ill try to make this quick. I usually do weeks of research on what to do in ports on the trip. I do this for two reasons. 1st, because i don't like the excursions offered by the company, too expenzive and too crowded. are a family of four looking for the best snorkeling and/or secluded beaches. 2nd because I've found with some research, I can do better on my own in less crowded areas for less money. Do to a myriad of reasons I have done virtually nothing in the way of research. If anyone could offer some advice id be soooo grateful! We are looking to snorkel in Belize and either Isla Roatan or Cozumel. For Grand Cayman and one of the last two mentioned, I'd be happy with a nice not too crowded beach. I will pay the money to take a boat to go for good snorkelling.just hate to do it with another 200 people. I've always found that there are smaller independent boat captains/snorkel guides that will take us to the best spots for the same $ or less since we are a party of four. If someone can tell me where to see the most dish, approximately how much transportation (taxi and boat should cost) ill deal with the locals on my own .ill be happy to repay the favor at one of the ships bars, or if you get to NY, in a hotel concierge, I'll save you money on Broadway, tours etc.... If and when you visit NYC!

Thanks

Check out Coral Breeze Tours for Belize. They were fantastic. We did the Caye Caulker snorkel tour with lunch. It was the four of us and a group of three. The reefs were beautiful and such a great day that was all about us and what we wanted (we were the only ones out there snorkeling the reefs) the guides were awesome. Loved it. My husband still talks about it. For Honduras we took bus to Tabayana Beach because I had read about great snorkeling there. It was true, the beach was nice but the best part was that you could easily snorkel out to the reef which was spectacular. We have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii and both agree the reefs in Belize and Honduras the best so far. Hope hat helps.

In Grand Cayman, you can walk to Eden Rock (about five minutes or less and snorkel there. We have our own gear, so we just rent a locker, or some chairs so we have a place to put our towels etc while we are in the water. If you do this, just go outside of the gated port area, keep the water on your right, and walk. There is a dive shop here and I believe you can rent equipment here if needed.:)

In Cozumel, you can take a cab to The Money Bar and snorkel from shore here also. They allow you to use their chairs for free, but would like you to order some food or drinks. They too have lockers for rent and rent snorkel equipment. Cab was around 10.00 each way for up to 4 people.

Edited by topspot

• 2 months later...

be careful if swimming/snorkeling on the far side of the island (in Cozumel) due to massive undertow (riptide) at some spots.. the inhabited side is much safer due to the geologic formations and current

Edited by oldmedic