Clueless Newbie question about dining...

MrsMiggins

Please excuse the basic question, but can you tell me if the speciality restaurants have individually priced menu items like a normal restaurant or do they instead have a cover charge like speciality restaurants in some all-inclusive hotels and resorts, where you choose from the menu but just pay the cover charge per person? :confused:

Please excuse the basic question, but can you tell me if the speciality restaurants have individually priced menu items like a normal restaurant or do they instead have a cover charge like speciality restaurants in some all-inclusive hotels and resorts, where you choose from the menu but just pay the cover charge per person? :confused:

I believe they all have cover charges except Izumi but someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong. :D

As far as I am aware, as a newbie also, the specialty restaurants are only cover charge and you choose from the 4 course menu regardless of whether or not you eat all 4 courses.

That's just from my own knowledge lately. But I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be quick to correct me! :):)

I believe they all have cover charges except Izumi but someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong. :D

I believe you're absolutely right! Added info - some of them have cover charges plus added charges for some things. Like Johnny Rockets - "Your cover charge will cover all your food - burgers, fries, desserts, whatever. Oh, you mean you wanted a coke or a milkshake to go with that burger? Drinks are extra!" :)

I believe you're absolutely right! Added info - some of them have cover charges plus added charges for some things. Like Johnny Rockets - "Your cover charge will cover all your food - burgers, fries, desserts, whatever. Oh, you mean you wanted a coke or a milkshake to go with that burger? Drinks are extra!" :)

Does your drinks package not cover the drinks in the "cover charge" restaurants??

Thank you for the replies. :)

Can anyone tell me the approximate charge for each restaurant? You guessed that was my next question, right? I've tried a link on another thread but it seems to default to the .co.uk website which does not apparently have the info for Allure.

If there is a pdf somewhere, that should work OK!

Ah ok! That was something that really confused me. I was under the impression you had to pay extra for the drinks in these restaurants.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

No, definitely not if you have purchased a drink package. But not everyone does, and I admit I was a bit surprised that a restaurant like Johnny Rockets - with a cover charge - includes burgers, fries, desserts, etc - but minus a separate drink package if you want a coke its extra!

Milkshakes at JR as far as I know are not included in any drink package.

Specialties are usually one cover charge, at least all the ones I've been to are. Although it includes a certain amount of food I've never had a server turn down our request for an extra appetizer or desert. Although I've only done that a few times.

if you eat at Chops its $30 per person for a 4 course meal

Chops is now $35 on Allure.

Chef's Table = $85.

150 CP = $40.

Giovanni's = $15 lunch, $25 dinner.

Samba = $30.

Izumi = $10 cover/credit towards la carte items.

Rita's = $10 cover charge.

Johnny Rockets = $5 cover.

All prices are per person.

We ate at JR twice on Allure and the $5 cover also included soda, but not milkshakes.

Thank you very much Jahannah (again! :D)

As an aside, I don't know if I am overthinking this holiday, but there does seem to be so much to learn (thank heavens for CC!) and plan for a cruise... we are fairly well-travelled and usually book our trips independently of a travel agent, but this process has been quite an effort compared to other holidays. I can't wait to finally get on board and relax with a drink in my hand (ultimate package just booked - the route of least hassle :p) and enjoy some WARM and hopefully DRY weather. We live in the South of England and there are lots of problems with flooding in recent weeks.:(

As an aside, I don't know if I am overthinking this holiday, but there does seem to be so much to learn (thank heavens for CC!) and plan for a cruise... we are fairly well-travelled and usually book our trips independently of a travel agent, but this process has been quite an effort compared to other holidays. I can't wait to finally get on board and relax with a drink in my hand (ultimate package just booked - the route of least hassle :p) and enjoy some WARM and hopefully DRY weather. We live in the South of England and there are lots of problems with flooding in recent weeks.:(

You're very welcome. I am sitting at home from work today with a severe ice storm on the way, even though we are down here in the South U.S. (Georgia). We are ready for sunshine and warm weather.

I am the vacation planner for my family and I put tons of effort into the job. I don't think you can overthink or overplan the vacation, just as long as you roll with the punches once vacation begins. We expect that something unanticipated will occur on every vacation and just try to make the best of it. We had a Florida vacation last year planned around my son's baseball tournament. After 13 inches of rain in 4 days, we had to make a few adjustments to our schedule. ;) Our California friends are good with "going with the flow" and we try to do the same.

You're very welcome. I am sitting at home from work today with a severe ice storm on the way, even though we are down here in the South U.S. (Georgia). We are ready for sunshine and warm weather.

I am the vacation planner for my family and I put tons of effort into the job. I don't think you can overthink or overplan the vacation, just as long as you roll with the punches once vacation begins. We expect that something unanticipated will occur on every vacation and just try to make the best of it. We had a Florida vacation last year planned around my son's baseball tournament. After 13 inches of rain in 4 days, we had to make a few adjustments to our schedule. ;) Our California friends are good with "going with the flow" and we try to do the same.

Also here in the Atlanta area, getting ready for the "Ice Jam". Looking forward to the Southern Caribbean later this year.

We live in the South of England and there are lots of problems with flooding in recent weeks.:(

There has been nothing on our news about your weather, and only through my ongoing research of Cornwall did I happen upon it. I read that this is the worst since 1776! You have our sympathies, as we know the effects have been dire.

Our impending snow storm seems minor in comparison. Hang tight, English friends!

I heard about that on NPR, sorry you're going through it.

I overthought my first cruise also, but discovered that everything that seems mysterious before you go is much clearer and simpler on board, and there's no lack of help and info. The majority of cruisers seem to do no prep and still have fun. It's amazing for example how many think you have to have breakfast in the buffet everyday.

So relax about the cruise.

Thank you for your thoughts about the flooding which seems set to continue for some weeks. My own town isn't too badly affected so far, but we are one of the lucky places. It's absolutely awful for so many people. :(

Back to cruising, we are zen calm travellers and take pretty much everything in our stride, but preparation certainly helps with that attitude!