Cabin Fridge

I've never used the fridge (room service) However I fancy buying some cheeses and meats etc from markets we will be visiting in Italy and Spain in May. Is the fridge cold enough to store these items in? I know that the fridge is locked on the final evening so I'd have to pop them in my case the night before but that should be fine I expect.

I should say that these are food items to bring home rather than eat onboard.

Edited by Langtoncouple
to add an extra sentence.

I've never used the fridge (room service) However I fancy buying some cheeses and meats etc from markets we will be visiting in Italy and Spain in May. Is the fridge cold enough to store these items in? I know that the fridge is locked on the final evening so I'd have to pop them in my case the night before but that should be fine I expect.

I couldn't say how cold the fridge was for food. You could always test it with a fridge thermometer before you buy.

We asked the steward to remove the contents of the mini bar to allow us to put our own things in which he was happy to do. Perhaps he could wait to restock it until the morning.

I should say that these are food items to bring home rather than eat onboard.

Suggestion.

There's heaps of ice available on each deck - grab some plastic glasses from the lido and put some in the fridge with these, that'll keep the interior cool.

You'll need to replenish these makeshift ice container each morning or night of course.

Or take some of those freezing packs you can buy for insulated coolboxes - I'm sure the steward can arrange to have them frozen as required.

What are UK Customs regulations on importing such consumables ?

Most foreign countries have very strict rules on bringing in food stuffs.

Thanks for this advice. We have always brought back cold meats and cheeses from countries in the EC. There is no restriction form EC countries. The meats are always in sealed poly packs and we put them in our suitcases. Getting ice or one of these frozen blocks is a good idea.

Edited by Langtoncouple