Red Stripe Beach snorkeling?

weston gal

We will be there in a few weeks and I haven't been able to find out if there is any snorkeling Has anyone had any experience snorkeling there? Also, the Allurre will be in port on the same day and we are concerned that the beach will be crowded and we may have problems getting lounges to rent. Can you rent umbrellas there? Thank you in advance for any help.

We will be there in a few weeks and I haven't been able to find out if there is any snorkeling Has anyone had any experience snorkeling there? Also, the Allurre will be in port on the same day and we are concerned that the beach will be crowded and we may have problems getting lounges to rent. Can you rent umbrellas there? Thank you in advance for any help.

We just got back from a cruise on the Independence and the Allure was in port at Falmouth with us - however, it came in well after we were docked and off the ship.

We spent the day at Red Stripe Beach and really enjoyed it. About the time we decided to leave, it was getting pretty crowded, but still wasn't horrible. The busses run about every 15-30 minutes throughout the day so you can leave whenever you are ready. Chair and umbrella rentals are available. Chairs were $5USD each and umbrellas were $10USD. Depending on when you get there, there are plenty of naturally shaded spots to place your chairs too.

I have never snorkeled prior to being at Red Stripe beach. The water was so clear and inviting, that I decided to rent some gear and head out and learn how. I really enjoyed it. I have nothing to compare it to, but thought the snorkeling was just fine. If you are willing to swim out past the grass beds, there is a coral ledge out there that provided me with plenty of fish to see. The water was super calm the day we were there, however, the watersports guy informed me that some days the current is very strong out near the coral ledge.

To anyone looking to just swim, stay in the roped off "lifeguarded" area - as it has a soft sand bottom that they keep clear of Urchins/debris. Everything outside of that is a grassbed that is FULL of black sea urchins. If you venture into that area you will want watershoes/fins with thick soles to protect your feet - should you accidentally step on one.

They also have kayak, paddle boats, floating mats, and other water sport rentals.

Showers/toilets/changing rooms are provided, and there are food/beverages for purchase.

If you venture off of the one end of the beach, just outside of the "official" Red Stripe beach area, there are a few locals set up selling goods. Only guests/employees are in the "secured" area though. We were not bothered by anyone our entire day.

Dan.