Taxes, Fees, and Port expenses - does anyone know what exactly these fees are?

john91498

Port fees. These are fees imposed by the government of the country you visit on the cruise. The fee is charged per guest to Carnival (whether you get off the ship or not)

Not sure anyone can tell you what they are as it depends on the itinerary . You can probably find the fees on a website somewhere...

... the port fees went up $80.
Port fees vary based on port traffic, day of the week, size of the ship, etc.

What confuses me is the amount. Hypothetically, if there is an $80 per person increase in port fees, and 3,000 people on the ship that would be $240,000 in ADDITIONAL PORT COST FOR ONE CRUISE that the cruise line is incurring out of their profit margin. That is a LOT OF MONEY - even for a corporation. If no one changes their reservation then the cruise line would carry that entire amount as a cost. I can't see them doing that and smiling about it. Even if this $240,000 was for 5 ports that would mean $48,000 INCREASED COST per port. That is a lot of money to be charged by one port.

I could understand if it was perhaps a total of a couple of thousand $ more per port for the ship, but really, in such a hypothetical scenario, I can't see $48,000 additional cost per port.

Just seems so strange to me. Perhaps someone in the know can "unofficially" enlighten us.

Sorry, should of made the math more clear. There's 4 of us and each ticket went down $25. This is offset by the port fees going up $20 per person. The fees are $290. The taxes are $70 for all 4 tickets, which leaves $220 for port fees. We're going to 2 ports, so it's $55 per person.

I'd like to know the breakdown of there sometime bogus sounding charges.

Fake book a cruise on CCL.

Then Fake book the same cruise on a higher priced line,

(Princess, Holland, Celebrity, MSC, etc...).

I think there are changing variables that affect the amount of the port charges. I received a small credit on my Sail and Sign account on my last 2 cruises where the port charges changed from the time that I booked.

I do not think port charges are bogus. Unpopular, but not bogus. If you Google it, you will see that everything from tonnage to holidays can change the amount a port charges.

That's one reason I enjoy sea days. No port charges involved. Fewer ports-fewer port charges.

When the fare goes down and the taxes/port fees go up it makes me wonder if the cruise lines might be employing some fuzzy math. I haven't verified it on CCL but on NCL the taxes/port fees are the same whether you are in the least expensive inside or the most expensive suite.

When the fare goes down and the taxes/port fees go up it makes me wonder if the cruise lines might be employing some fuzzy math. I haven't verified it on CCL but on NCL the taxes/port fees are the same whether you are in the least expensive inside or the most expensive suite.

sparks1093,

CCL fees are also the same regardless of 1st class or steerage. :o

The US Virgin islands Port Authority charge cruise ships a total of $11.40 per passenger for port fees.

There are more charges than that. The charges can be any or all of these, depending on the port:

• port fee for the ship (charge based on number of passengers, amount varies depending on day of the week/weekend/holiday, whether it's a port of call/home port/repo cruise
  • passenger screening charged to vessel (based on number of pax)
  • on board security services charged to vessel (based on number of pax)
  • passenger fee (per passenger, based on whether it's a home port/port of call/repo journey)
  • embarking and disembarking charge per pax at pier
  • dockage fees
  • tender fees
  • tug fees

Some ports have minimum charges per vessel, as well.

Sorry, should of made the math more clear. There's 4 of us and each ticket went down $25. This is offset by the port fees going up $20 per person. The fees are $290. The taxes are $70 for all 4 tickets, which leaves $220 for port fees. We're going to 2 ports, so it's $55 per person.

What confuses me is the amount. Hypothetically, if there is an $80 per person increase in port fees, and 3,000 people on the ship that would be $240,000 in ADDITIONAL PORT COST FOR ONE CRUISE that the cruise line is incurring out of their profit margin. That is a LOT OF MONEY - even for a corporation. If no one changes their reservation then the cruise line would carry that entire amount as a cost. I can't see them doing that and smiling about it. Even if this $240,000 was for 5 ports that would mean $48,000 INCREASED COST per port. That is a lot of money to be charged by one port.

I could understand if it was perhaps a total of a couple of thousand $ more per port for the ship, but really, in such a hypothetical scenario, I can't see $48,000 additional cost per port.

Thanks for update, so reworking my calculation (from $240,000 total increase for the ship based on 3,000 PAX), it is now an increase of $60,000 in ADDITIONAL PORT COST FOR ONE CRUISE for the WHOLE ship. If it is only 2 ports that means $30,000 per port in increase above the original cost. Still seems an extreme cost fluctuation charged by the port (above the original cost that they obviously quoted the cruise line).

There are more charges than that. The charges can be any or all of these, depending on the port:

• port fee for the ship (charge based on number of passengers, amount varies depending on day of the week/weekend/holiday, whether it's a port of call/home port/repo cruise
  • passenger screening charged to vessel (based on number of pax)
  • on board security services charged to vessel (based on number of pax)
  • passenger fee (per passenger, based on whether it's a home port/port of call/repo journey)
  • embarking and disembarking charge per pax at pier
  • dockage fees
  • tender fees
  • tug fees

Some ports have minimum charges per vessel, as well.

The Virgin Island Port Authority charges:

Port Dues = $5.60 /passenger

Wharfage = $5.80/passenger

There is NO OTHER FEES charged by the Port Authority.

US Customs may charge something that I am unaware of.

I've heard (never bothered to verify) that to go into the Panama Canal (not to go all the way through, just go through 1 or 2 locks & turn around & go back out) it is $300 per pax.

Calico we are headed to the Canal, on Princess, in October and the taxes and fees for the whole cruise are 350 pp. That's with 3 or 4 other stops.

We paid $310 pp last March included 4 port stops.

The boat paid approximately $330K to go through, paid in advance. With 2000 passengers thats $165pp.

Cheapest fee charged was 28 cents to swim thru.