Anchorage to Whittier 2 days pre-cruise help needed

maraleezi

Hi everyone, FIRST I am sincerely APOLOGIZING UP FRONT for my long inquiry, but I NEED your help to bottom line advise for our 2 land days prior to our cruise this Aug.

My family of 4 will be arriving in Anchorage 4:30p on Thurs and need to be checked on to the ship in plenty of time for an 8:30p Saturday departure out of Whittier. There's obviously so much to see between Anchorage and Whittier that IS possible to do with the short of time. No matter 'what' mode of transportation gets us ultimately down to the ship, we will want to see Turnagain Arm. Kenai Fjords sounds like the other 'not to be missed' agenda item. If I can convince my husband there IS reason to 'take a 6 hr cruise before our 7 day SB cruise thru Glacier Bay and Hubbard' (e.g., a Kenai Fjords tour for the wildlife) that would be my choice, but this is his first cruise, let alone to this magnificent place, so we know he's already in store for something spectacular--but he's a little nervous about his sea legs in 'rockier' water (although when my son and husband do ocean fishing for the day he's always ok it seems. (I read the 'PWS' day tour is 'gentlier' waters but, thinking about this wondrous 7 days he's going to experience on this cruise, be honest with me here, would PWS 'really' be a 'not miss' situation here? As an alternative, can anyone recommend something like a fishing-from-the-shore/river experience in Kenai (superior than a fishing excursion we could book while in port at Juneau?) or what about the Alyeska Resort/sky Tram? What concerns me most is what mode(s) of transportation my family should use. Can I safely reserve (rely the reservation will hold) a one-way car from Avis in Anchorage, use if for the 2 days, drop if off in Whittier and grab a taxi from that rental drop off to the front of the ship? (I'm aware of the extra 'drop off' charge but keeping the car and our luggage with us might be worth it) but this may be worth it. I do not have our lodging for those 2 nights set yet. Not sure Anchorage, Seward, or one night in each to void backtracking. I know there is relaxing train, ship-contracted transfers, as well as transfers possibly offered by the hotel or day excursion we will be doing, but then we're at their schedule's mercy. On the flip side of worrying about filling the day and getting over to the ship timely, not sure how early passengers could board, drop off their luggage, eat, and then do PWS..and if there is transportation from the ship there. Again my sincerely apologies for being long winded, but this is a trip of a lifetime for our family so I'm hoping you understand. Any personal expertise from you would be greatly appreciated. :)