Freeport Beaches - recommendations please

Lucky Granny

I think I have read every newer thread here and find them all very confusing. Many posters are not making it clear which island or city they are referring to. I have found references to Junkanoo Beach in Nassau and also in Freeport. I don't think it's in both. Can anyone give me some information about the beaches in Freeport? There will be children 6-12 in the group. Any transportation information would be helpful also. We will be there 8 am to 5 pm, arriving on a cruise ship.

Edited by Lucky Granny
bold title

• 3 weeks later...
The best beach in Freeport is Taino Beach. Its a little more for the cab ride, but thats the one you should go to.

I assume you mean the resort beach and not the public beach down the road a bit.

Do you need a day pass at the resort to use the beach? Have been to Our Lucaya which is beautiful, using a $15 day pass. Been told it's nicer here than Taino.

I think I have read every newer thread here and find them all very confusing. Many posters are not making it clear which island or city they are referring to. I have found references to Junkanoo Beach in Nassau and also in Freeport. I don't think it's in both. Can anyone give me some information about the beaches in Freeport? There will be children 6-12 in the group. Any transportation information would be helpful also. We will be there 8 am to 5 pm, arriving on a cruise ship.

There is a Junkanoo Beach Club on Grand Bahama island (Freeport). It had food and a bar. The water was great. It was a cab ride from the port. Another option is Port Lucaya which has the beach, hotels and some restaurants. Enjoy your cruise.

We are back from our cruise and enjoyed it immensely. In Freeport, my daughter and friends and kids went to the free beach which is more or less across the street from Lucaya Market. They took a taxi and the driver dropped them off where you have to walk down a path between two hotels and he explained how to get there. The beach is free but you have to pay to use the restrooms. They had a good time. Taino might have been better but, since they don't know, no regrets. Everyone is very friendly in the Bahamas and eager to help tourists find their way. Love to hear their accent. The Junkanoo question is still not answered. There is one in Freeport but I think I also heard reference to one in Nassau. No problem with finding a taxi. A large area of shops, restaurants, and taxi/bus service is right on the dock. I did not see the Carlos and Charlie's that others have reported, but there is a Senor Frog and a new Fat Tuesday. And shops similar to those in the Lucaya Market.

we just came back. We took a taxi to port lucaya ($10 per person roundtrip). We then got a day pass at the hotel for $15 a person. If we opted, we could have walked down the street a bit and went to the free public beach but we wanted lounge chairs, pool and bathroom. It was right across from the shopping area.