MIA to Fort Lauderdale hotel

KTRuby

Any advice on getting from MIA to Ft. Lauderdale? I've done the reverse but have noticed that some shuttles don't originate from this airport so I'm just curious what my options are. There are just two of us and I'd like to avoid spending a fortune if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you are not in a hurry you can catch the Tri-Rail for under $5 each from the MIA station to the FLL station and then cab/shuttle from their to the hotel.

You may be better off doing a one-way car rental from MIA to Fort Lauderdale, which would give you some flex to shop and dine where you want.

American Shuttle is based inside of MIA and will give you a quote on-line; I would also get quotes from Go Airport Shuttle and QLS. Depending upon where the hotel is located a cab will run about $75-85+ :eek: -- Larry's Limos may be a little cheaper and a much nicer ride.

Good luck! :)

I have used SuperShuttle from MIA twice to Fort Lauderdale. Once I booked a private service and the second time I booked the shared service. Both worked really well so for the saving, I would recommend the shared service unless there is enough of you travelling to make the private service more reasonable.

Jo :)

When is a shuttle not a shuttle?

My wife and I flew in to MIA Sunday 1/19/14 and sailed out of Port of Eveglades the next day. Here is what we did.

I booked JRShuttles as a private transport from MIA to the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina on 17th St. It was $69 + 20% tip = $82.80.

I priced about 10 different limo/car services (those that seemed to have a good reputation) and a bunch of shuttles and car rentals.

I dislike shuttles and avoid them whenever possible. The shuttles are always cheaper than taxis or private cars at about $20-35 pperson. But then you are on a van, have to make multiple stops (how is it we always seem to be the first on and the last off? Just lucky I guess) and get crammed into the van or bus forever. It's slow and painful to me. To avoid this I am willing to pay a little extra.

The limos/private cars were higher priced with quotes ranging from $90+tip up to about $110+. There are some interesting ads on Craigslist if you want to go that route. Then it gets cheaper.

I also priced and priced and priced, up to the last day, car rental. You could get a Fox or Sixt or other super cheap rental for about $29-38 for the one way trip. That seemed like a good deal but a hassle of airport to car rental shuttle and driving myself and dropping off the car and parking fees if if we stopped at the Hotel were unappealing. The killer is, the cheap car rentals drop off at FLL or nearby. So then I would need to take a cab from there back to the hotel for $10-$20. Any offices at the PoE shut down at 2:00 or were not open on Sunday.

So I found JRShuttles. They were cheaper but there are not many reviews out there. Jamie was easy to talk to and gladly gave my prices for multiple options for both legs of my trip and called me back when I left a message. Their fee is for the vehicle. It can be private or group. Group is cheaper but, as I said I'm not good with that so I chose private. My plane landed 45 minutes earlier than planned (never had that happen before) so I caught JRShuttles off guard. Not to worry, he had the vehicle there in about 15 minutes. The driver and vehicle were clean and professional.

Notice I keep saying vehicle? That's because he sends whatever vehicle he has available. In this case he sent a 12 passenger van pulling a trailer for luggage. If you are into a comfortable and quiet ride, this is not your choice. There was nothing wrong with the vehicle. It was just a shuttle van. Seemed odd to me. Why not have a few cars in the stable for this kind of situation? In any case, we arrived quickly and safely to the hotel. That's really all I was looking for, a safe, private ride. Mission accomplished.

For our return trip I booked JRShuttles again. This time we found another couple through the roll call on CC. They were also going PoE to MIA. So now the private shuttle was for the four of us and was half priced. It went slick with just the four of us... Riding in the 12 passenger van pulling a trailer with luggage in it.

I would use JRShuttles again but I would also price private cars again to compare.

One other note, I avoided the shuttle from the Hotel to the PoE by taking a taxi. The valet told me the taxi would be $12 on the meter. The cost was $7.80 on the meter for the two of us compared to $6 pperson for the shuttle. I don't think the hotels are accurate when they tell you what a taxi costs to the terminal because they make money off the shuttle. And if you had four people they could take all four with luggage.

So, for me, the shuttle opposer, it's private cars and taxis. I hope the research is of some value to others.

Happy sailing!

Rick