Jan Kok Flamingos

2Xayear

Heading to Curacao in April and I want to visit and photograph the flamingos at Jan Kok. Seem like a "pricey" cab trip. Any ideas on other methods to get out there?

I have not heard back as yet but does the Ostrich Farm offer transport from the port area and back?

The only other transportation option to go to Jan Kok / Willibrordus is by public transportation.This is not an easy task, as the main road towards this area is undergoing major construction. To get there is not the problem, as the bus depot is near the cruise pier. The issue is to get back into town.Buses are not running regularly and you're practically in the middle of nowhere.Unfortunately, no transport from the Ostrich farm. You need to take a taxi or rent a car for the day.

The flamingos around just past blue bay are the best at the moment and best for photographing - as they can be close in

There are some brill photo ops if you want further info - just ask

Love more info Shutterbug999 :D

My highlights are mostly to the West of The island

Shete Boka - crashing waves in all manner of shapes

Beautiful beaches - photographically that is - easy ones are the Knip Grand beach - best in the morning

Lagun - great beach - great iguanas up by the dive cafe

Birds

1. We only have a few flamingos - I drove past Blue bay today ~ 50 but you can get close

2. Pelicans - close ups at Westpunt- as the fishermen throw away their fish guts

3. Ospreys - when they are in migration through

4. Lots of small colourful birds - mostly bright yellow and orange

Landhuis - lots of old Landhouses - where the masters lived

Town is great to photograph - best is late pm - when the sun is on the front of Punda's buildings

The floating market is not that good photographically - some nice shots when the sun is on the boats first thing

You can do personalized photo tours

Or just look on flickr - search for Curacao and see what other photographers are doing

Hope that hepls

My highlights are mostly to the West of The island

Shete Boka - crashing waves in all manner of shapes

Beautiful beaches - photographically that is - easy ones are the Knip Grand beach - best in the morning

Lagun - great beach - great iguanas up by the dive cafe

Birds

1. We only have a few flamingos - I drove past Blue bay today ~ 50 but you can get close

2. Pelicans - close ups at Westpunt- as the fishermen throw away their fish guts

3. Ospreys - when they are in migration through

4. Lots of small colourful birds - mostly bright yellow and orange

Landhuis - lots of old Landhouses - where the masters lived

Town is great to photograph - best is late pm - when the sun is on the front of Punda's buildings

The floating market is not that good photographically - some nice shots when the sun is on the boats first thing

You can do personalized photo tours

Or just look on flickr - search for Curacao and see what other photographers are doing

Hope that hepls

Sabana Westpunt? https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Sabana+Westpunt/@12.3686442,-69.1417975,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8e84bda64827e9b1:0xea88d8f0feacb858?hl=en

Edited by 2Xayear
Added Map Link